Using Quad Note Generator as a songwriter

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mashers

25 May 2019

I'm feeling tempted by Quad Note Generator while it's on sale. But I'm not 100% sure how I would use it as a songwriter. It's nice to imagine playing with the variation parameters and scales to get some interesting melodies, harmonies and rhythms. But does this mean every play through will be different? Or will the parameters once set result in the same pattern of variation every time you play the track? Having it sound different every time it plays isn't really an option for me, so I'd want to know that once I've found some variations that are working I can leave it set and know that it will sound the same each time.

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2019

Yes, you can set it so it plays the same every time, but it's not easy IMO.

For example, you can "freeze" the current settings (or even a part of the pattern, while the rest keeps evolving). But the problem for me is that you can't know whether or not you like the current pattern until after you hear it (right?), and you can't freeze a pattern after it has played (because it's replaced by a new pattern each bar).

What I suggested during testing was a way to choose to freeze the current OR previous pattern. As it is, what I do is freeze each pattern to see if I like it, then move on to the next if not. Could be easier to use in a more "songwriter/composer" way if this was easier IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

25 May 2019

You got to be quick with your mouse to freeze sections you like! I find keeping most of the variation parameters very low yields the best results.

MannequinRaces

25 May 2019

I like to send to track four or eight bar segments. If I like something I’ll keep it, if not in the trash it goes. That way things are somewhat saved.

mashers

26 May 2019

Thank you guys!
selig wrote:
25 May 2019
For example, you can "freeze" the current settings (or even a part of the pattern, while the rest keeps evolving). But the problem for me is that you can't know whether or not you like the current pattern until after you hear it (right?), and you can't freeze a pattern after it has played (because it's replaced by a new pattern each bar).
I think that's what I was worried about. It sounds really stressful trying to "catch" a part I liked and freeze it before it's gone on to the next variation and it's too late.
selig wrote:
25 May 2019
What I suggested during testing was a way to choose to freeze the current OR previous pattern. As it is, what I do is freeze each pattern to see if I like it, then move on to the next if not. Could be easier to use in a more "songwriter/composer" way if this was easier IMO.
Your suggestion sounds like the obvious solution. Freezing each pattern makes it kind of pointless - you may as well just hit a randomise button on a different sequencer. The whole point of Quad seems to be to allow the pattern to grow organically, but if you can't return to a previous pattern to freeze it or send to track, it seems a bit pointless.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 May 2019
You got to be quick with your mouse to freeze sections you like! I find keeping most of the variation parameters very low yields the best results.
MannequinRaces wrote:
25 May 2019
I like to send to track four or eight bar segments. If I like something I’ll keep it, if not in the trash it goes. That way things are somewhat saved.
These don't sound like natural ways of working for me. I need to be able to take my time and explore, not feel I have to rush to freeze a pattern before it's gone or repetitively send to the track and then pick and choose.

This has been really helpful, thanks guys. I think I'm realising this one isn't for me ;)

BananaSkins

26 May 2019

This topic has just reinforced the fact why I have not took the plunge and purchased Quad Note Generator.

Thanks for posting :thumbs_up:

boingy

26 May 2019

A new feature in Ableton Live 10 is that it is always listening to your MIDI input even when you are not recording. So if you happen to hit gold when noodling around trying to find a riff or a melody that fits it has already captured it. Sounds good, except you can end up wading through loads of tosh to find the magic bar or two.

dioxide

26 May 2019

boingy wrote:
26 May 2019
you can end up wading through loads of tosh to find the magic bar or two.
Exactly. Easier to just write something you like.

diminished
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

dioxide wrote:
26 May 2019
boingy wrote:
26 May 2019
you can end up wading through loads of tosh to find the magic bar or two.
Exactly. Easier to just write something you like.
Unless you're an unskilled piano player that happens to stumble upon kick ass chords while using all your fingers you'd never be able to replicate. Disclaimer: any similarities to my personal approach are purely coincidential.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

retreed
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

mashers wrote:
26 May 2019
Thank you guys!
selig wrote:
25 May 2019
I think that's what I was worried about. It sounds really stressful trying to "catch" a part I liked and freeze it before it's gone on to the next variation and it's too late.
You can make a one-click solution using a combinator for this and use a midi controller or keyboard control to freeze a part with one tap.
I attached an example of what I mean. I hope this helps as an idea, and most likely there are even better ways including the rotaries and CV.
Attachments
qng.zip
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

challism

27 May 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
25 May 2019
I'm trialing QNG now and this is exactly what I have been doing. Just click "direct record" in the top player panel and select the instrument in the sequencer and hit record. I only record one line at a time, so it isn't a jumbled mess of midi notes in the sequencer. So I turn off line 2, 3, and 4 and play line 1 for a handful of bars (in a sequencer lane). Then I turn off line 1 and turn on line 2, open a new sequencer lane and record another take. Listen to the recording and see if it's worth keeping. If not, delete and repeat until you get something worth saving/tweaking.

Using QNG this way really opens it up for songwriting, I think, but it really shouldn't be this difficult, and I am wondering if it is really worth all the trouble. It should be easier to use this player. You do have to move your mouse really fast to freeze and select something you like before it is lost (without using the method above). And if you unfreeze something, you will lose all the notes in any lane that is turned on. I am pretty undecided about this player, really. There are some things I really like about it, but that initial wow factor wore off fast. It is feeling more and more like a half baked idea that needs a major update to complete, to me. With only 4 days left to act on the sale price and I'm leaning toward not buying it.

Seems like a lot of what QNG is doing could be done with Chords & Scales, RND and some other devices/players working together. And, for me, building a Combi of modular devices working together is part of the fun of using Reason.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 May 2019

Perhaps this might interest you as a potential alternative :)

It's not exactly the same thing but it can get very similar results, and they are all tied to a "root" pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ0pKOfC1YQ&t=3s

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/bun ... ker-suite/

Enjoy :)

ljekio

27 May 2019

retreed wrote:
26 May 2019

You can make a one-click solution using a combinator for this and use a midi controller or keyboard control to freeze a part with one tap.
Or record pattern into Sequence Player online :)

• Information