Do you ever buy stuff on sale “just in case”?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

Do you ever find yourself looking at a new RE and thinking “wow this looks cool. It’s got an intro price. I’ll get it now for the future.”? Apparently I do. For example if the Retouch Control Morpher RE hadn’t appeared then I wouldn’t have even thought about getting the Zvork one. Now I’m thinking “this tool is something I might need. Buy it now while it’s cheap. You will probably find a use for it. “. I don’t need it and if I’m honest, it’ll probably lie there in the “collection” unused.
I’m glad I’m noticing this behavior but the urge to buy more and more “useful stuff” is still strong in me, even more so when it’s on sale. Starting trialing again has helped and I usually decide within 5 minutes whether I want something or not. More often not. Taking a look at my habits as a consumer has certainly been rewarding in terms of how I look at and use the REs I’ve already got and deciding exactly what I would actually find a use for.
Anybody recognize this behaviour in themselves?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Oquasec

22 May 2019

Yep.Parsec & Expanse really really early.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

MarkTarlton

22 May 2019

I used to do that with RE's but stopped after spending too much, and still not being satisfied. I might use the latest and greatest new RE at first, and than shortly after something new would come along that was better, particularly in the early days before VST. I stocked up on stuff for mixing like eq's, compressors, better synths, etc... it's a habit that is hard to break. My menu for Instruments and Effects is insanely large, and I maybe use 15% of all the stuff I have. I wish I could sell some of it.

Loque

22 May 2019

Yes, too many. Some of them i never really touched. I stopped doing this.
Reason12, Win10

Faastwalker

22 May 2019

I have a fair number of RE's I've bought because they were on sale & then never really used them. I'm less tempted by sales now. Besides, sales are on more often than not these days, or so it seems! I still wish we could trade RE's then this point would be moot. Even if we could trade for store credit ........ I won't labour this point as it's been debated enough already. Anyway too many RE's in my rack, many of which I hardly or never actually use. Could do with a clean out to be honest.

tumar

22 May 2019

Once or twice, in the past... Now I'm wiser, never buy anything "in advance", waste of money.

antic604

22 May 2019

Looking at the amount of music I finished since I got Reason vs. the amount of money I spent on REs - I'd say "all the time" ;) :D

gullum

22 May 2019

just last week I bought M-MAX Multiband Limiter just because I don't have any multiband limiter

reddust

22 May 2019

I think I've only done that with a couple of mixing and mastering VSTs, but as I write music so slow I've barely used them yet... and with complex-1, which is the only instrument I've bought and still never used in a song, but it'll happen someday... I hope :)

diminished
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

Because of this thread I've removed some items from my basket. Thanks for ruining all the fun, Figgo! :mrgreen:
Joking aside, I really did kick out some things that I'd call tier 3 purchases. These are "items that might become useful in the future or if I'd only invest enough time in them".
I'll keep them on my unwritten list of potential upgrades, try them once I have the time and if I like them, I'll buy when they're on sale again. If I haven't tried them by then, I probably don't need them at all. If they become essential to my workflow
Tier 2 are deals that are just too good to pass on, like the Rigs when they're on sale. Doesn't matter if you don't use 50% them, for the other half it's still the best possible deal ever.
Tier 1 are items you just want or need. I'm okay with impulse buying these if it's something you truly enjoy (and have the cash).

So, rule of thumb here: the more thought you have to put into a purchase, the less likely is it you actually put it to use and enjoy it.

That being said, I also purchased things "just in case", like Panda PSQ and the MIDI compressor. But I see them as tools so it's okay.. other purchases like any Mixfood except Orange and the Ambient ones I regret.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mcatalao
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

Loque wrote:
22 May 2019
Yes, too many. Some of them i never really touched. I stopped doing this.
Ditto!!! ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

diminished wrote:
22 May 2019
Because of this thread I've removed some items from my basket. Thanks for ruining all the fun, Figgo! :mrgreen:

Tier 1 are items you just want or need. I'm okay with impulse buying these if it's something you truly enjoy (and have the cash).

That being said, I also purchased things "just in case", like Panda PSQ and the MIDI compressor.
Always happy to do my bit to damage the economic infrastructure.

Didn’t you advise me NOT to buy the Midi Comp as there was already a plethora of other REs which could accomplish the same thing? Hahaha
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
22 May 2019

Didn’t you advise me NOT to buy the Midi Comp as there was already a plethora of other REs which could accomplish the same thing? Hahaha
Haha, I can't rule out the possibility, but I believe you were asking for a velocity scaler which Note Echo can do.
I wanted the MIDI compressor because I have some hardware with terrible pads. One time you hit it, low velocity, and then the next time it bangs at 127. So I want something to keep the humanized feel but less extreme
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mjxl

22 May 2019

You mean like how I bought Reason "just in case" ?

dhruan

22 May 2019

Ya, I used to do that but having gotten to the point where:

a) I have over 120 RE
b) with over 2140€ (mind you, that is without Reason upgrades, oooooooouch!) "invested" in them (or that is what I tell myself...) and
c) with about 85-90% of them being unused completely or most of the time...
I have become rather more critical of my purchases.

On that note, I should have had a look at my order history sooner... really need to put more of those RE into use. This is just ridiculous...
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

diminished
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

Then again, this is half of what people spend on a synth they use only once at best. Half of a high end DSLR... despite them REs laying around unused: how many years of fun have you had with that money? :) it's probably not that bad when you think about it.

Loque

22 May 2019

dhruan wrote:
22 May 2019
b) with over 2140€ (mind you, that is without Reason upgrades, oooooooouch!) "invested"
You could have bought an additional spoiler for your car for that money...
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (339.5 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Reason12, Win10

reggie1979

22 May 2019

I think my latest purchase of Reason Drum Kits was like this. I mean for 19 bucks it's pretty ace but I didn't need it.

mon

22 May 2019

Yeap... happened more than once. The good thing is that I bought/buy REs with little to no overlap. I wanted to complete the rack with one good device of every type I had or needed before in the VST world. I am still buying only good sounding and unique (to my rack) extensions. There are few exceptions like saturators RE but I am saturation junkie :)
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

Reasonable man

24 May 2019

I'm thinking about Respire but i just dont have time to trial it between now and the end of may. I bought a few things just in case in the past like this but £89 is alot . Looking at the general video for Respire sometimes i think i could use it but most times i think it's not really a must have synth...... .the 90's rave style music in the promo video dosn't help sell it.

Will it go on sale again anytime soon ? Who really knows i guess. I'm guessing expanse could already cover alot of what it does

zoidkirb

26 May 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
24 May 2019
I'm thinking about Respire but i just dont have time to trial it between now and the end of may. I bought a few things just in case in the past like this but £89 is alot . Looking at the general video for Respire sometimes i think i could use it but most times i think it's not really a must have synth...... .the 90's rave style music in the promo video dosn't help sell it.

Will it go on sale again anytime soon ? Who really knows i guess. I'm guessing expanse could already cover alot of what it does
Respire sounds good, but the current iteration is a struggle in terms of workflow. Improvements are promised but who knows when. Expanse can pull similar sounds definitely, but ReSpire obviously will have a certain character of its own, like any synth. Honestly, Europa is gonna get you at least 80% towards either of those synth's sounds.

Ostermilk

26 May 2019

Best thread evah!!!

I'm loving the self-honesty going on.

Of course I've never mistakenly purchased a RE that I didn't use. Nope, I bought them on purpose. :oops:

Oquasec

26 May 2019

Ultimate refill bundle is like some kontakt shit honestly : )
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

motuscott

26 May 2019

Loque wrote:
22 May 2019
I stopped doing this.
yesss...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MannequinRaces

26 May 2019

Yes, there are REs I’ve bought at intro price that I’ve barely touched yet. Now that I’m older and wiser I don’t do that anymore... I mean as much! :)

• Information