ARCUS User Knobs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
starship
RE Developer

31 May 2019

Loque wrote:
30 May 2019
I guess some useful limits would be no VST and no payed RE...
Originally I really just wanted to stick to stock devices. Would that be asking too much?

But then since I'm also looking for multiple patches, I can judge the stock-devices-only patches and include other stuff along with. With free REs being OK but bonus points for just using stock devices. Ideally I'd like a set of folders in the final patch set (after this thing ends) that are only stock devices, for maximum usage, the kind of thing I'd include with a device. And then have other folders with other REs.

And I'll be weighting this... more patches is great, "quality" is great too. I'll extrapolate based on how the stock device patches sound and work. And/or the free REs, but I'll appreciate stock devices more. Yeah, bonus points for stock devices only.

But re: limits on say number of devices, type of instrument/effect/utility, etc., no limits. Diversity is great!

Also was thinking re: using instrument/effect patches vs. starting from scratch. Bonus points for starting from scratch, but using patches is OK if you're really adding something to it. And e.g. combi patches designed to work for almost any thor patch, etc.... that's pretty cool and useful. So anything goes, just wow me. :) :)

... and I'll write all this up (concisely!) when I actually launch it. just bouncing ideas off here.

mjxl

31 May 2019

starship wrote:
31 May 2019
Originally I really just wanted to stick to stock devices.
Stock devices is good, as long as we can do whatever we want, stock devices can take us any place already so :thumbs_up: :lol:

starship
RE Developer

31 May 2019

mjxl wrote:
31 May 2019
starship wrote:
31 May 2019
Originally I really just wanted to stick to stock devices.
Stock devices is good, as long as we can do whatever we want, stock devices can take us any place already so :thumbs_up: :lol:
Sweet! :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

31 May 2019

OK, this knob thingy is useful. This patch is designed for using Europa factory plucks (or your own pluck). ARCUS controls Europa, so don't swap out the synth, but go ahead and try different pluck/percussive sounds. It was designed for stock plucks -- with intention. You scroll through your pluck sounds and find one you like, should be fairly snappy to work the best. I put compression on the sound out from Europa to keep any patch-to-patch volume variation in check. There is also an EQ that you can dial in from the Combinator knobs to tune the sound. I have some basic small amount of reverb on the Europa outputs so it is not totally dry (RV7000).

This Combinator has the Dual Arp Player, it is fed from the Matrix, that triggers a chord in Scales & Chords, then Arp, so you get an arp melody that way. The Matrix sets the long initial notes, and this Combinator is designed to change note every bar, but you can try different stuff in Matrix.
It has a second Scales & Chord to do corrections in case you do something funky in Dual Arp, it will still sound good. You can change the notes in Dual Arp, but keep in mind the patch is designed to have a note hit every second 1/2 bar.
The Arp 2 has a Transpose set (I have it set to 8), so the melody gets more interesting. You can try different transpose since S&C no 2 fixes and odd off notes. But it is there to play a note outside of the chord, but still in scale. For the player stack I used the free CV tap, not stock, but everyone should have it. The only way to get Matrix to trigger S&C.

So, what does ARCUS do. First it AUTOMATICALLY turns off any delay/reverb in Europa, yes, it does this automatically. I have a LFO 2 feeding some CV values via ARCUS to turn off Europas dly/rev. A static CV doesn't do that, hence the LFO in this CV chain, as values are spit out all the time. Very handy when you scroll through patches so you don't have to mess with these setting every time you audition a new sound (this patch adds reverb, so we don't need it from Europa).
Then ARCUS is fed another LFO that turns up a reverb SEND in the mixer, this LFO 1 is tempo synced to set with a calibrated offset to avoid any reverb from the first note in a sequence, but then the LFO CV goes via an extreme curve in ARCUS so the reverb send turn on a lot on the last note only. What this does, is that the reverb tail can now decay freely from the last notes sound only. It is a nice effect that would require a bunch of automation for each note. And the std Combinator cannot do it since the CV output from the Combinator is linear. ARCUS fixes that. You can adjust the ARCUS curve 1 if you want a little less or more of the notes to be passed into the long reverb.
The third ARCUS application in this patch is used to control the reverb/echo return volume. I have a Combinator knob to add an extra echo (like a second reverb reflection), but the reverb volume drops when you dial up the Echo Wet/Dry, I use a Maximizer as a volume control and it is fed a non-linear curve from ARCUS so the perceived reverb/echo volume stays the same as you increase the echo amount.

So we can call this an automated arpeggio player and to reiterate.
  • Root notes from Matrix. BUT, if you turn off CV tap, you can just feed notes from the sequencer.
    Arp notes from Dual Arp
    Scale is controlled by the two S&C.
    Sound, any Europa "plucky" patch.
Hope you like it!
ARCUS Arp Reverberation - RS.zip
(34.78 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

starship
RE Developer

31 May 2019

That's pretty cool!

I'll start an actual competition post when I'm sure what the rules will be. :)

So far I'm impressed. :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2019

Aaargh, this took way too long time and it became my $1000 combinator... :shock:

This thingy makes chimes, and nice ones. Can do FX too, with the right patch. It uses ARCUS to create a non-linear sweep so it sounds nicer. It is possible to change out the Thor patch that has the bell sound w/o destroying anything (don't touch the Thor CV Routing instance).

Press any key and it will play, every key plays the same chime sweep. Use knobs and buttons to change it.
Knobs adjusts: sweep speed, the position on the keyboard it sweeps, the key of the sweep (YES! it is a sweep in key!)
Buttons let you set: minor or major scale for the sweep. Two sweep types, start slow and finish faster, or the opposite.

There is potential to use different setting and sounds to create a dozen or more variants. Now let's hear it. :lol:
ARCUS Chimes - RS.zip
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

starship
RE Developer

03 Jun 2019

Sweet! :)

Did you see the options to do different things with the knobs when their sources are non-default? In the general options pull-down, there's "knobs with non-default sources" and "separate knobs with mod inputs." The 2nd makes knobs with their knob mod inputs connected do the 1st behavior. The 1st has stuff like add as bi/uni, scale as bi/uni. Just to give you more options for what to do with the knobs on stuff like this. E.g. using the scale-as-uni (centered or not) turns the knob into a level control. And there's a before/after-curving toggle for this stuff below those 2.

Not saying it would necessarily improve these patches, just that it might come in handy. :)

Image27.png
Image27.png (73.52 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2019

Well, the PH link to manual gives an error, so this was trial and error, but most of the time was to figure out how to get the players to work. Finding the minor/major scale of the custom scales in S&C so it will only pass min/maj notes, well there is over 4000 possible configurations to scroll through...if you want to set it from the combinator...
If you back trace what I did, it may seem obvious, but when you start with a blank paper, and you think "I wanna do something like this", well then, how do you actually do that, it takes some time...
Like, switching CV source, using only stock/free devices. Eg if I use the combinator button to switch the Thor button, that does opposite scaling of two CV inputs from ARCUS, that Thor then routes to the same CV out, and then route it to the target for the note sweep, well there you have it. But first you need to figure out this is something that will be useful, then try to do it, then tweak until it works...and you have another three things as WIP inside the combinator at the same time. My first attempt did work, so it was trash, second attemp, I got what I wanted, and was blown away when I started to swap patches.

starship
RE Developer

04 Jun 2019

Boombastix wrote:
04 Jun 2019
Well, the PH link to manual gives an error...
Oh shit, you're right about the link. I thought that was working when I released it... not sure what's up with that.

Here's a link to the manual:
http://alien-seed.com/arcus/ARCUS_manual.pdf

There's also a help popup.. the "?" menu next to the options menu.

I think the patches are cool! Yeah, it takes some work for sure, especially when you have to use stock/free devices. :)

starship
RE Developer

04 Jun 2019

OK, just started the competition!

Here's the post in the competition forum. Hope this link works. :)
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7512486

Put your patches there please (or email me, etc.). Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

botnotbot

03 Jan 2020

I've been really enjoying the latest ARCUS release. It works really well for smoothing out performance controller settings on a per-patch basis. I'm actually using it to provide (most of) MPE to the rack. (Using voice per channel mode with no global channel, which works with any multitimbral instrument).

It was possible with per-channel controller mappings in Reason to lock individual MIDI channels to individual combinators, but now that is even easier to set up via the Rack plugin. Just drop individual instances and lock the tracks to their respective MIDI channels -- easy!

The only thing missing is not up to you, and that would be release velocity. However, I was wondering if you might be able to offer an estimated release velocity based on a sampled window of pressure values that accompanied the note off event. This would really be an amazing addition and would finally open up all "five dimensions" of MPE in Reason.

starship
RE Developer

03 Jan 2020

botnotbot wrote:
03 Jan 2020
I've been really enjoying the latest ARCUS release. It works really well for smoothing out performance controller settings on a per-patch basis. I'm actually using it to provide (most of) MPE to the rack. (Using voice per channel mode with no global channel, which works with any multitimbral instrument).

It was possible with per-channel controller mappings in Reason to lock individual MIDI channels to individual combinators, but now that is even easier to set up via the Rack plugin. Just drop individual instances and lock the tracks to their respective MIDI channels -- easy!

The only thing missing is not up to you, and that would be release velocity. However, I was wondering if you might be able to offer an estimated release velocity based on a sampled window of pressure values that accompanied the note off event. This would really be an amazing addition and would finally open up all "five dimensions" of MPE in Reason.
Awesome!

Honestly, I'm not familiar enough with this. Are you talking about note velocity changes preceding the note off event? Or aftertouch maybe? If I understand correctly, there's another note release velocity that just isn't mapped in Reason yet, and you're hoping I can estimate that via... and then I'm not totally certain what you think I could use... I also do not have a keyboard that is fancy enough to do more than velocity on note hit. :) Hard to test this. Want to be clear on exactly what you're saying, here.

Thanks!

Bes
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2020

i found this entry in the electronic music wiki about release velocity >>

A rather obscure feature of the MIDI standard. When a key is released, the keyboard can measure how fast the performer allows the key to spring back up, and insert the value into the resulting note off message. What the receiving entity is supposed to do with this information is not specified in the MIDI standard. In practice, few synths or keyboards implement release velocity. Of the few that do, the usual use is that on a monophonic synth, or in a patch that has been set to a monophonic mode (which only allows one note to be played at a time), if two keys are held down and then the key that has note priority is released, the release velocity is used as the velocity value for retriggering the note that is still held.
- Certified Reason expert

botnotbot

05 Jan 2020

starship wrote:
03 Jan 2020
Awesome!

Honestly, I'm not familiar enough with this. Are you talking about note velocity changes preceding the note off event? Or aftertouch maybe? If I understand correctly, there's another note release velocity that just isn't mapped in Reason yet, and you're hoping I can estimate that via... and then I'm not totally certain what you think I could use... I also do not have a keyboard that is fancy enough to do more than velocity on note hit. :) Hard to test this. Want to be clear on exactly what you're saying, here.

Thanks!
The velocity should only come in once with the note on message, but the channel pressure (aftertouch) messages are flowing constantly. My idea was to that an "estimated" release velocity could be made by creating an algorithm that samples the rate of change in the pressure messages.

Here are a couple of contrived examples:

Code: Select all

pressure: 120
pressure: 60
pressure: 10
note off
This would be a relatively high release velocity.

Code: Select all

pressure: 33
pressure: 28
pressure: 16
pressure: 4
note off
This would be a pretty low release velocity.

Then this would just be another performance controller option in the ARCUS menu, and easily replaced if/when Reason gets MPE support.

Thanks for even considering it!

Also, regarding the general "not much supports release velocity" .. this is true, but MPE changes the game on this. Release velocity is very useful for scaling the release of an ASDR envelope, for instance. But it could also be interesting to trigger a whole new envelope, modulate an LFO, etc. And with ARCUS already having lots of great capability to adjust the "feel" even further via the extensive shaping options... it would be pretty awesome!

It's a goal of mine to finally start sharing some of my knowledge via video this year, so I'll try to make a video explaining how to set up a Linnstrument with ARCUS when that gets going.

botnotbot

05 Jan 2020

About testing, any pad controller should be sufficient for doing any testing on the channel aftertouch/pressure changes. If you don't have any at hand, I'll gladly ship you one for developing this feature! :D

I'm not sure what the best sampling/averaging function would look like, necessarily, that's the real tricky part here. The input would be a ring buffer of pressure values and the output would be the estimated release velocity, but the magic sauce is in the algorithm.

Note also that this is intended for a "channel per voice" configuration -- the note off is guaranteed to belong to the associated pressure values because each channel gets only the pressure streaming from the voice that starts with the note on and ends with the note off. The approach breaks down when you have a multiple note messages one single channel (until Reason gets polyphonic aftertouch, also commonly available on pad controllers).

starship
RE Developer

05 Jan 2020

Hmm. Just tried the only pad controller I have and it doesn't do aftertouch. I'm definitely not MIDI device rich. :)

A real easy way to do this would be just averaging the change in aftertouch. So for that first example, it'd be like 55 if I ignore the last 10->0. Second example, about 10. That's basically what you're talking about? Maybe somehow giving extra weight to the later changes vs. initial ones. I dunno.

Re: multiple notes on a channel, yeah, I'll have to account for that. It's hard to think about this without actually testing it, but it's real doable. I'd be happy to add this feature, and if you're serious about shipping a pad device, hell yeah! I'll send a PM.

Mattvank

14 May 2022

Cool little tool to extend the ABL :)

Loque

14 May 2022

Mattvank wrote:
14 May 2022
Interesting...Did you used the Slide to modulate filters and stuff?
Reason12, Win10

challism

14 May 2022

starship wrote:
05 Jan 2020
I've been interested in your CV tools since their release. I've got some cash to spend during MM. Curious why this is the only RE you have on sale during MM?
AS.JPG
AS.JPG (46.21 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Mattvank

14 May 2022

Loque wrote:
14 May 2022
Mattvank wrote:
14 May 2022
Interesting...Did you used the Slide to modulate filters and stuff?
Yes! :-)

starship
RE Developer

15 May 2022

Re: May Madness, Challism:

Oh, jeez. B/c I f'd up! I did these sale pages twice.. b/c I f'd up the dates the first time.. and forgot to check the "publish on approval" thing. Thanks for the heads up!!!! Hopefully should be fixed today.

:) :) lol.. thank you!!

P.S. I could have sworn I double-checked this, but I'll take the blame. It may not have actually been my fault.. :) But it probably was. :)
Last edited by starship on 15 May 2022, edited 2 times in total.

starship
RE Developer

15 May 2022

Mattvank wrote:
14 May 2022
Cool little tool to extend the ABL :)
This is pretty sweet!!

• Information