A-List Drummer question.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

Are the drum kits in the three A-List drummers the same? Was thinking that I could trigger the drums in one using the pattern CV outs from another.
Also...would that work with Reason Drums RE? CV out from A-List to CV in on Drums? This is probably a pretty basic question I know but I’d appreciate any help. Thanks. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eusti

17 Apr 2019

The drum kits in the different REs are indeed different from each other. (At least to my ears! :p)

D.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

eusti wrote:
17 Apr 2019
The drum kits in the different REs are indeed different from each other. (At least to my ears! :p)

D.
Thanks. I had a couple of the ujam VSTs which I got for free and hated them. I’m guessing the Props REs are better but haven’t had a chance to try them yet.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eusti

17 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Thanks. I had a couple of the ujam VSTs which I got for free and hated them. I’m guessing the Props REs are better but haven’t had a chance to try them yet.
I always thought the A-list REs were basically adjusted versions of the ujam plugs... The guitarist and drummer series seem very close at first glance... The beatmaker series is different, so it depends which ujam plugs you have....

D.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

eusti wrote:
17 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
I always thought the A-list REs were basically adjusted versions of the ujam plugs... The guitarist and drummer series seem very close at first glance... The beatmaker series is different, so it depends which ujam plugs you have....

D.
Aah. Ok. The Beatmaker Series I am not the slightest bit interested in. The two VSTs I have seen pretty similar to A-List in how they function. I guess it’s best if I just give them a go when I’ve got time. Thanks for answering.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

18 Apr 2019

I only have Studio Drummer and haven 't tried the rest, so I can't give you a comparison. According to the product description, the Classic Drummer is "dry, punchy and crisp" with a real drummer playing on vintage kits from the 60s and 70s. That suggests that they are different kits.

Using one A list to trigger another via CV in/out would totally work. I often times use my Studio Drummer to trigger a Kong. It's also fun to mix and match different styles. Say you have one style playing HH and another playing the BD and SD. Interesting variation and endless possibilities there.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

challism wrote:
18 Apr 2019
I only have Studio Drummer and haven 't tried the rest, so I can't give you a comparison. According to the product description, the Classic Drummer is "dry, punchy and crisp" with a real drummer playing on vintage kits from the 60s and 70s. That suggests that they are different kits.

Using one A list to trigger another via CV in/out would totally work. I often times use my Studio Drummer to trigger a Kong. It's also fun to mix and match different styles. Say you have one style playing HH and another playing the BD and SD. Interesting variation and endless possibilities there.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

18 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
18 Apr 2019
challism wrote:
18 Apr 2019

Here is the email...... more info than in the product descriptions.
drum.JPG
drum.JPG (83.38 KiB) Viewed 2054 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

Excellent man. Thanks a million :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

18 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Or thanks €79 ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2019

challism wrote:
18 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Or thanks €79 ;)
Just an extra question if you can answer...If I were to turn down say the snare volume to zero, is there a lot of noticeable bleed of the snare into the mics of the other drums?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
19 Apr 2019
challism wrote:
18 Apr 2019

Or thanks €79 ;)
Just an extra question if you can answer...If I were to turn down say the snare volume to zero, is there a lot of noticeable bleed of the snare into the mics of the other drums?
The snare bleeds to the Overheads and to the Room mics. I guess the other samples were gated.
I tried with the Default on A-List Drummer Studio.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2019

mcatalao wrote:
19 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
19 Apr 2019

The snare bleeds to the Overheads and to the Room mics. I guess the other samples were gated.
I tried with the Default on A-List Drummer Studio.
Figured that. Thanks for confirming. Appreciate you checking it out for me.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

21 Apr 2019

I've been able to cut out the snare completely by turning the snare knob, overhead and room knobs all the way down.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

challism wrote:
21 Apr 2019
I've been able to cut out the snare completely by turning the snare knob, overhead and room knobs all the way down.
Does the same apply for removing the other drums as well?

Aren’t the room and overhead mics pretty important in shaping the sound of the kit as a whole?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

21 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 Apr 2019
challism wrote:
21 Apr 2019

Aren’t the room and overhead mics pretty important in shaping the sound of the kit as a whole?
Yup, you can cut all the different drum parts out that same way. Yeah, the overhead and room mics are important in a traditional recording studio setting with a live drummer. Perhaps adding some RV9000 reverb with the perfect IR would help. And maybe double tracking the drums could help trick the ear and create a space. Or perhaps adding one of Kuassa amps or Softube's Amp room with different mic distances could help (with FX off, just purely using it for the mics). Also consider that units such as Kong and Redrum (and most all electronic music) don't have room/overhead mics. So we can use studio tricks to get around that.

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

You could also use the dedicated outputs on the backside and mix them any way you like.
Then, as in the previous posts, add two buses and treat each as "Room" and "Overhead" with EQ and reverb, plus distortion and compression if needed.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

21 Apr 2019

The REs should have the mute/unmute keys the same as the VSTs...
See pgs. 12 & 14 of the RE manual https://a.phcdn.se/static-live/pdf/oper ... d3646c.pdf
  • Hold key G#2 and press an instrument key to mute the instrument (exclude it from phrase playback).
  • Hold key Bb2 and press the instrument key to unmute it again.
  • Note that you are still able to play the individual instrument hits while the instrument is muted. This way, you can e.g. mute the snares from phrase playback to play them manually yourself.
;)

When drum triggers are muted, they are removed entirely from the mix. Turning down the individual mix knob of course does not remove it from the overhead and room mixes as it is still being triggered.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

challism wrote:
21 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
21 Apr 2019

Yup, you can cut all the different drum parts out that same way. Yeah, the overhead and room mics are important in a traditional recording studio setting with a live drummer. Perhaps adding some RV9000 reverb with the perfect IR would help. And maybe double tracking the drums could help trick the ear and create a space. Or perhaps adding one of Kuassa amps or Softube's Amp room with different mic distances could help (with FX off, just purely using it for the mics). Also consider that units such as Kong and Redrum (and most all electronic music) don't have room/overhead mics. So we can use studio tricks to get around that.
Cool. Thanks. It’s the last day to get them and I’m still on the fence. Got so many drum machines, samples and loops as it is already.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

Problem solved. Tried the Classic Drummer. The incessant clanking of the Ride cymbal decided it for me. No sale.
I kind of suspected they weren't for me right from the start but sometimes life can throw in surprises.
Sticking with Reason Drum Kits... :) :) :).
Thanks for all the help.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

21 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 Apr 2019
Problem solved. Tried the Classic Drummer. The incessant clanking of the Ride cymbal decided it for me. No sale.
I kind of suspected they weren't for me right from the start but sometimes life can throw in surprises.
Thanks for all the help.
Did you not see my comment about mutes? In any case hopefully others take note, because the workarounds are not necessary.

If there is a ride sound you don't like (but you like the pattern) you can send the gate out to another drum machine. If the pattern you don't like, you can mute the trigger for the ride, muting it from its own mix and overhead/room mix. You can then play the ride yourself with A-List or something else.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

joeyluck wrote:
21 Apr 2019

Did you not see my comment about mutes?
Aaaah. Sorry Joey. I didn't see your comment. I must have completely jumped over it. Thanks for explaining what to do. Much appreciated.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

21 Apr 2019

joeyluck wrote:
21 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
21 Apr 2019
Thanks for all the help.
Did you not see my comment about mutes? In any case hopefully others take note, because the workarounds are not necessary.

If there is a ride sound you don't like (but you like the pattern) you can send the gate out to another drum machine. If the pattern you don't like, you can mute the trigger for the ride, muting it from its own mix and overhead/room mix. You can then play the ride yourself with A-List or something else.
Using A-list Drummer as a trigger device to run samples is one of my favorite uses. I love that they added CV out for each piece of the kit. There are tons of great patterns you can use, combine, mix and match.

motuscott

22 Apr 2019

Probably more efficient than my drumkit method:
Spend half a century and thousands of dollars acquiring, learning and maintaining the instrument.
But when the power goes out, that shit is priceless...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

two shoes

25 Apr 2019

eusti wrote:
17 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019

D.
yeah i've always assumed the ujam and a-list stuff are just the same thing with different skins and control sets - i'd be quite surprised if they are based on completely discrete sampling projects. i don't own any of the ujam versions, but maybe someone who has both versions of something could compare the base samples and let us know.

• Information