When browsing/loading FX or instruments...........

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
reggie1979

16 Apr 2019

If you select one, it immediately goes to the presets in the browser. I've seen videos where the selector/browser stays open so that you can quickly select more instances instead of starting the whole process all over. It's annoying to me.

Hopefully I explained that to some understanding.

ScuzzyEye

17 Apr 2019

Go into the Preferences, and uncheck the box toward the bottom of the General that says, "New devices get browser focus".

Maxsu kindly provided this screen shot, when I asked for the wording in Slack chat:
rns1.png
rns1.png (22.79 KiB) Viewed 2223 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

Can you select the instrument you want to play by clicking on it in the Rack or do you always have to select it in the Sequencer?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ScuzzyEye

17 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Can you select the instrument you want to play by clicking on it in the Rack or do you always have to select it in the Sequencer?
You have to click to the left, over the wooden frame. There's a chevron pointing right. If you click on that, it'll highlight, and that means the instrument now has MIDI focus.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
You have to click to the left, over the wooden frame. There's a chevron pointing right. If you click on that, it'll highlight, and that means the instrument now has MIDI focus.
Brilliant. Thankyou. Been frustrated about this for ages :). Thaaaanks. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

17 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019

Figg, that's basic Reason 101 right there. *Disappointed*

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019

And there was you thinking I was perfect. :)

Actually I did know that somewhere around Reason 7 but a couple of years away from a computer and it went right out of my knowledge bank.
Last edited by MrFigg on 17 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ScuzzyEye

17 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019

But it wasn't in Reason 1.0.1. ;) In fact I think it was added in Reason 8.0, or 7.0 at the earliest.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Apr 2019

But it wasn't in Reason 1.0.1. ;) In fact I think it was added in Reason 8.0, or 7.0 at the earliest.
I’m pretty sure it was when they integrated Reason and Record. Wasn’t that 5-6?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ScuzzyEye

17 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
It was even later than I thought:
https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... ease-notes

Reason 8.3 / Reason Essentials 8.3 Release Notes
- Buttons for setting MIDI focus to a device directly from the rack

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019

Ha ha ha. Well it seems I didn’t already know how to do it. So thaaaaanks again. :)
Senility setting in early.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

17 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2019

Yeah I don't remember how I did it in 7. So Mr Figg had been working with the version 7 workflow still. Tks, tks...

reggie1979

17 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Go into the Preferences, and uncheck the box toward the bottom of the General that says, "New devices get browser focus".

Maxsu kindly provided this screen shot, when I asked for the wording in Slack chat:
rns1.png
DOH! I knew it had to be something easy, thanks.

DinoJ

17 Apr 2019

Thanks for this, did not know about this option!

Another browser inconvenience that often irks me a little, is when you drop a audio sample into the sequencer directly. Then you maybe switch to something else like a synth and browse patches. When you want to go back the folder you were sample browsing in, is there a way to jump back to the sample folder you got said sample from? An option like Browse to Folder or something? I may be missing something, obviously it easy if you loading a sample in to an instrument or something but in the sequencer not so much?

ScuzzyEye

17 Apr 2019

DinoJ wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Another browser inconvenience that often irks me a little, is when you drop a audio sample into the sequencer directly. Then you maybe switch to something else like a synth and browse patches. When you want to go back the folder you were sample browsing in, is there a way to jump back to the sample folder you got said sample from? An option like Browse to Folder or something? I may be missing something, obviously it easy if you loading a sample in to an instrument or something but in the sequencer not so much?
Try unchecking, the "Load default sound in new devices". The parenthetical comment after points out one thing that also does. It doesn't start you browsing in the default location when you hit the browse button. It instead sort of remembers where you were last loading stuff from. It's never been super consistent for me, but it might do what you want, and not jump all over the patch collection.

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

DinoJ wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Thanks for this, did not know about this option!

You can bookmark your sample folders in browser.

DinoJ

18 Apr 2019

Thanks Scuzzyeye and Praznovsky.m appreciate your replies.

I do use favorites in the browser but it not always ideal to remember which folder you were in if you go back to an older project etc.

Those options you mentioned Scuzzyeye do at least help to retain the browser window focus on the folder you were rooting around in providing you do not go to browse something else, so as you said, it not ideal but at least it something.

Still wish there was an easy to go back to an old project and click on a sample in the sequencer and find exactly which folder it was loaded from but at least now I don't lose browser focus every time something new added. So at least this way if I undock all windows can use sequencer browser window to stay focused on sample original location folder and browse presets and patches for synths etc from the rack window.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

The browser sucks, no denying that.
Now imagine a browser where you press "P" inside a folder and it takes you to the letter "P", how awesome would that be? If only Windows had.. oh wait, it does! :)
You can add to that "feature" list. Search suggestions with autocompletion, collapse/expand behavior, tagging system for sounds and instruments and, when opening the browser from a device, automatically have access to all possible patches no matter in what ReFill they may lurk..
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Apr 2019

Yeah I don't remember how I did it in 7. So Mr Figg had been working with the version 7 workflow still. Tks, tks...
Hard to teach an old dog new tricks man.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

18 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Apr 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019

Just to be pedantic it's tsk, tsk, surely? :P

PhillipOrdonez

18 Apr 2019

Zac wrote:
18 Apr 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Apr 2019

Just to be pedantic it's tsk, tsk, surely? :P
Takk! :P

boingy

19 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Apr 2019
....when opening the browser from a device, automatically have access to all possible patches no matter in what ReFill they may lurk..
Amen to that. It's so basic and simple to do. It's ridiculous that we can't see all the relevant patches in one place. I've got individual "Faves" folders in the browser for my most used instruments but I dread to think how much time I have spent dragging stuff into them.

• Information