Echobode. Worth getting?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2019

So I know I'm super late to the party, but for some reason this one got ignored by me.
A thread recently got started about Echobode and it got me thinking, is it worth getting?
I'm not a tweaker by the way. But if it's simple to work with or have great useable patches then it might be interesting for me.

What's good about it? Share your opinions.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2019

Was kinda wondering the same thing when I started the other thread. The video for the VST showcases it pretty well. I wondered though if it’s possible to achieve roughly the same results using a combination of a different pitch shifter and some filters.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

turn2on
RE Developer

26 Mar 2019

Basic function of Echobode - is freq range of original Bode effect. Echobode have rage 40Hz...20kHz.. Original have have another range.
As example - HarmBode have +/- (0.05Hz ..5.0 kHz). Its a range of real rare classic Bode freq shifter unit.
Just add some effects and you get something in this way too, and you of course can use by CV - external LFO for anything needed. Also Harmbode include mixture of A/B Bodes (upward, downward, up-down, down-up for A and B shifters individually and mix them). Anyway, all shifters is intresting at practice as what they can. For me FrqShifter most underrated effects.

I see in Echobode many internal additional things that can be used with stock devices and any shifters. There biggest question - what user need more... Echobode interesting and perfect solution for fast results, but it not much more flexible from another Bode effect side devices..
With many internal things - Echobode can more in sound. But all it possible with any other freq shifter and external devices. Anyway in VST big presets list based on effects. Dont know what with it in RE verion.

joeyluck

26 Mar 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Mar 2019
So I know I'm super late to the party, but for some reason this one got ignored by me.
A thread recently got started about Echobode and it got me thinking, is it worth getting?
I'm not a tweaker by the way. But if it's simple to work with or have great useable patches then it might be interesting for me.

What's good about it? Share your opinions.
It is absolutely worth getting. The presets are outstanding and yes, it is simple to use.
If you've already used your RE trial, you can give the VST a try. You can also browse the VST presets by category > Rack Extension. So you can know exactly what you'd be getting with the RE by browsing that folder of the VST.

You can of course use the frequency shift by itself, but also if you are just looking for simple frequency shifting, none get any simpler than the kHs one. And it's on sale for $9.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2019

The Sonic Charge has two features you need to look at as they can be might be pretty useful for you and I do not think any other frequency shifter has it (VST or RE). Both also can shift based on note input.
1 Anti reflection
2 Feedback through a smear delay (aka reverb). (only in the VST though)

Some diff:
- The RE has extra outputs for the side bands.
- The VST has a few more features, such a modulation target, LFO shapes, and HP in addition to the LP.

I have the VST demo, but will probably buy it next time Pluginboutiqe has an interesting freebie offer.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dvdrtldg

26 Mar 2019

I have the RE coz I like the side band outputs and the VST coz I *love* the smear function

It's a great piece of kit, super versatile. Took me a while to get into, but these days I'm constantly finding new uses for it

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2019

Boombastix wrote:
26 Mar 2019
Both also can shift based on note input.
Do you mean you can define how much shift there is for individual notes? Like C3 shifted up more than E3 for example. Harmonizer?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

27 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Mar 2019
Boombastix wrote:
26 Mar 2019
Both also can shift based on note input.
Do you mean you can define how much shift there is for individual notes? Like C3 shifted up more than E3 for example. Harmonizer?
From the manual...

"Most of the inputs and outputs on the Echobode backside are straight forward and
self-explanatory. The main exception is the FREQUENCY SHIFTER NOTE input. When
you connect the NOTE input, Echobode will enter a CV pitch following mode where the
frequency shift will follow the frequency of the CV note value you send to Echobode.
With this feature you can do harmonic shifting on monophonic sounds ("monophonic"
as in "non-polyphonic"). If you do not have a CV source for your notes you can use the
built-in RPG-8 arpeggiator to convert notes to CV. The "SC Stroem Picher" combinator
is an example of such a patch."

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Mar 2019
MrFigg wrote:
27 Mar 2019

From the manual...

"Most of the inputs and outputs on the Echobode backside are straight forward and
you connect the NOTE input, Echobode will enter a CV pitch following mode where the
frequency shift will follow the frequency of the CV note value you send to Echobode.
With this feature you can do harmonic shifting on monophonic sounds ("monophonic"
as in "non-polyphonic"). If you do not have a CV source for your notes you can use the
built-in RPG-8 arpeggiator to convert notes to CV. The "SC Stroem Picher" combinator
Woooo!!! Coooool!!! That feature actually makes this device a lot more useful to me. Thanks for reading the manual for me. I am very bad at that :).
Just to be sure though...would that mean I can set it to recognize and shift C up five semitones but F up seven semitones for example?
I have Polar which can’t do that and I have Ivy which can.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Mar 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Mar 2019

From the manual...

Woooo!!! Coooool!!! That feature actually makes this device a lot more useful to me. Thanks for reading the manual for me. I am very bad at that :).
Just to be sure though...would that mean I can set it to recognize and shift C up five semitones but F up seven semitones for example?
I haven't tried but that is what I read. So, if you do a 100Hz frequency shift on C3, that would then be 200Hz on C4. But someone probably can confirm, or you test yourself.
Polar does, PITCH shifting, Echobode does FREQUENCY shifting - big difference.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2019

Boombastix wrote:
27 Mar 2019
MrFigg wrote:
27 Mar 2019

I haven't tried but that is what I read. So, if you do a 100Hz frequency shift on C3, that would then be 200Hz on C4. But someone probably can confirm, or you test yourself.
Polar does, PITCH shifting, Echobode does FREQUENCY shifting - big difference.
Absolutely. Thanks :) I'll give the VST a go :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Reasonable man

27 Mar 2019

You can do alot with takin stuff through Parsec audio in using a rich saw based wave too if you havn't tried it .

If you link engine b you an have 4 modifiers. Audio in - Filter curve (to boost the frequency) - Centre frequency- Harmonic stretch.
Assigning lfo's to centr frecency and filter curve frequency produces some added little harmonic step melodies that occur over the sound.

If you put harmonic stretch last you can snap the audio to one of the overtones to tune it, otherwise it could sound like a badger knawing a bigpiper's balls in full puff.

two shoes

04 Apr 2019

Echobode is easily my favorite creative effect RE of its type and one of my favorite ones overall.

Faastwalker

04 Apr 2019

One of the best creative FX RE's in Reason ever. A classic RE.

seqoi

05 Apr 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
27 Mar 2019
You can do alot with takin stuff through Parsec audio in using a rich saw based wave too if you havn't tried it .

If you link engine b you an have 4 modifiers. Audio in - Filter curve (to boost the frequency) - Centre frequency- Harmonic stretch.
Assigning lfo's to centr frecency and filter curve frequency produces some added little harmonic step melodies that occur over the sound.

If you put harmonic stretch last you can snap the audio to one of the overtones to tune it, otherwise it could sound like a badger knawing a bigpiper's balls in full puff.
Wait what....you can use Parsec as sound processor...damn sometimes i completely forgot Reason working topology...

This is great.

Another example (which i also forgot) - VK-2 synth FXs - one of the best choruses and distortion i ever heard...

ok i am drifting offtopic.

Echobode is fantastic. Just buy it and you won't regret it. RE or VST whatever suit you.

Heigen5

05 Apr 2019

I have it, and yeah, it's a really cool effect to add some bling-bling to the source. Why don't you demo it and decide based on that?

antic604

05 Apr 2019

100% worth it. And then you can get the VST -50% off :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2019

There’s an infinite reverb patch which is brilliant on guitars.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reggie1979

13 Apr 2019

trying the vst demo now, hungry little bugger.

reggie1979

14 Apr 2019

And today it's not hungry. Gnomes?

Anyways, though this is in the RE section, the vst is lovely! Look like you are missing a lot with the RE, they are 5 bucks different in price.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
14 Apr 2019
And today it's not hungry. Gnomes?

Anyways, though this is in the RE section, the vst is lovely! Look like you are missing a lot with the RE, they are 5 bucks different in price.
The VST rocks. Smeeeeeaaaar!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reggie1979

15 Apr 2019

Does that mean it's better? I don't know the difference. Other than 5 bucks.

joeyluck

15 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
15 Apr 2019
Does that mean it's better? I don't know the difference. Other than 5 bucks.
I have both. I bought the VST bundle, because it's a great deal and all of their other plugins are fantastic. So I have both the RE and VST versions of Echobode and Bitspeek.

Each version of Echobode has some things the other doesn't.

The VST has:
- Smear (and reverb patches)
- HP filter (in addition to the LP filter found on the RE)
- Additional shapes for the LFO
- LP as an additional target for the LFO

The RE has:
- Separate outputs available for the sidebands
- CV connectivity on the back (more capable than using CV with a VST, which acts more like automation)

The VST Frequency Shifter can be controlled via MIDI whereas the RE can be controlled via note CV input, such as from the Matrix, Step Note Recorder, ABL3, etc.

As far as the additional LFO shapes on the VST, that's not a big deal being in the Reason environment where you can send whatever LFO shapes you want to the Echobode RE. So the standouts for me are that the VST has the smear and the RE has the sideband outs, connectivity, and sits in the rack.

Aside from those differences, they are equal in quality. You can actually find the RE patches on the VST in the RE folder. For me, working in Reason, I still grab the RE version more often because it's better for workflow, and I like to send CV to it; and CV note is fun. But I still use them both. I have the RE in my favorites lists for Delay and Frequency Shift and the VST in my Reverb favorites list...

• Information