Echobode question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2019

Was just about to buy Echobode RE then I took a look at the VST...and it seems to have more knobs to twiddle. So first question is...given a choice would you get the RE or the VST?
Next question is...Echobode RE has, to my knowledge, never been on sale since the intro price way back then. Has anyone ever seen the VST on sale?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

seqoi

25 Mar 2019

I ordered RE and love it. Having tight integration with Reason was factor for me. Plus this device is really on creative side. You can make some weird stuff with it.

No there was never sale of that RE (i monitor it for possible updates). Afaik if i can remember correctly (it was long time ago i can't remember) developer was underwhelmed by RE sale figures. It was posted either here or at KVR forum. Perhaps that could be a reason for lack of SALE period.

Me personally i think price is more then right so sale is not needed.

But anyway i am glad RE is still available and i hope developer won't pull device out of store. It truly is one of a kind and i can only recommend it. My opinion is - if you are using Reason only then RE - if you use more VST applications then VST might be better option.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2019

Yeah. The integration is really a selling point. Thing is I think they still update the VST and as I said there’s a good few more parameters to tweak. I trialed it when it came out so my only option really is to try the VST version and then decide which format I’d be happiest using. Reason is the only DAW I use and I don’t see me ever moving so maybe that’ll help me choose.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

25 Mar 2019

I am wondering, what the dev has expected. AFAIK most ppl have Echobode, because it is a great RE. Never had seen it on sale, so i need to buy it at full price at some point. Not sure, if i would buy it again, since i now have other frequency shifters and stuff, so i am quite good sattled.

The VST got a few advanced functions over the years, but they seem not to be that relevant - well, at least for me.

Sadly the developer is not doing much anymore at all. Did not noticed anything spectacular on VST side too over the last years. Maybe the sales did not went good there as well. The problem might be a marketing thing...imo...
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2019

I’ve got the U-he frequency shifter and the Khs one too. I’m guessing Echobode is more versatile than those two but maybe combined with some other REs I can achieve similar results?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

25 Mar 2019

I watched an interview with the dev, same guy that made Malstrom synth. It's just him and his bro overseeing the whole Sonic Charge suite. Their last big project was the PO tonic with teenage engineering. So they are active just maybe spread a little thin.

antic604

25 Mar 2019

Anyone know if they offer cross-grade pricing? I might be interested in getting Echobode and BitSpeak and would be keen on getting them both in RE and VST if the price is reduced.

EnochLight

25 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Was just about to buy Echobode RE then I took a look at the VST...and it seems to have more knobs to twiddle. So first question is...given a choice would you get the RE or the VST?
Next question is...Echobode RE has, to my knowledge, never been on sale since the intro price way back then. Has anyone ever seen the VST on sale?
If you are absolutely committed to the RE ecosystem only (Sync All, license management, true rack integration), then the RE works great. That said, if you don't have an aversion to using VST, then it does offer a few more features that elevate it a bit: the Smear function, adding a high pass/low pass filter control as well as Target for the LFO.

Back in the day, Sonic Charge did offer a discount for the VST if you bought the RE - you had to reach out to them like this:

viewtopic.php?p=25692#p25692

And for the record, Sonic Charge plugins NEVER go on sale. Magnus/Fredrik philosophically don't believe in sale prices after launch.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

25 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Anyone know if they offer cross-grade pricing? I might be interested in getting Echobode and BitSpeak and would be keen on getting them both in RE and VST if the price is reduced.
4 or 5 years ago they did. Not sure about now:

viewtopic.php?p=25692#p25692
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

25 Mar 2019

Echobode RE is great. I have both the RE and VST and I still reach for the RE more often because of the way it integrates with Reason. As for Bitspeek, I also use the RE version along with Distributor to make it polyphonic and my favorite vocoder in Reason. You could also do this with the VST...

That said though, if you're interested in their plugins, I recommend taking a look at their VST bundle. Synplant, Microtonic, and Permut8 are all amazing. And they continue to work on Synplant 2...

EdGrip

25 Mar 2019

Bitspeek is a lovely machine - I just can't quite justify it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2019

EdGrip wrote:
25 Mar 2019
I got it in the synth rig. Amazing on a 303.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

25 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
25 Mar 2019
EdGrip wrote:
25 Mar 2019
My favorite vocoder in Reason viewtopic.php?p=278842

Loque

25 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
25 Mar 2019
EdGrip wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Wat? Never tried this...How should this sound?
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Mar 2019
MrFigg wrote:
25 Mar 2019

Wat? Never tried this...How should this sound?
Squelchy :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Aosta

25 Mar 2019

I bought it when it came out and is still my fave FX in reason, it is worth it at any price.
Tend the flame

scratchnsnifff

25 Mar 2019

Sonic charge never does sales. During Black Friday this past year they said they only do something where a large portion of sales get donated to charity
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

SoulState

25 Mar 2019

joeyluck wrote:
25 Mar 2019

Now that's a good Vocoder Patch :cool:

Bought Synthetic Rig last week, solely because of Parsec's Vocoding capabilities...well, Parsec on it's own was nearly the same price.

Tried out BitSpeak twice! Once when it first came out and again last month on a :re: sub. Still couldn't get the sounds I wanted out of it...until now!

Cheers JL :thumbs_up:
:reason:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Sonic charge never does sales. During Black Friday this past year they said they only do something where a large portion of sales get donated to charity
Like what? Do you mean that they decide to sell stuff cheap then give the proceeds to a needy cause? Have they done that before?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

25 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
25 Mar 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Like what? Do you mean that they decide to sell stuff cheap then give the proceeds to a needy cause? Have they done that before?
As I said above, they don't do sales. I've never seen nor heard about Magnus/Fredrik ever doing sales on any of their RE or VST. Ever. Would love to be proven wrong, though.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2019

EnochLight wrote:
25 Mar 2019
MrFigg wrote:
25 Mar 2019

As I said above, they don't do sales. I've never seen nor heard about Magnus/Fredrik ever doing sales on any of their RE or VST. Ever. Would love to be proven wrong, though.
Yeah...I got that. Absolutely. Just wondered what scratchnsniff meant about charity donations :).
In any case it’s looking like it’ll be the VST even though I usually stay on the RE side of things.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

25 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Yeah...I got that. Absolutely. Just wondered what scratchnsniff meant about charity donations :).
In any case it’s looking like it’ll be the VST even though I usually stay on the RE side of things.
Ah gotcha. Sounds like it might have been a pure speculative response by Magnus (or Fredrik) regarding the matter. Taking into consideration that it hasn't happened, I wouldn't hold my breath for them to find a charity and make such an event occur anytime soon. ;)

joeyluck

25 Mar 2019

SoulState wrote:
25 Mar 2019
joeyluck wrote:
25 Mar 2019

Now that's a good Vocoder Patch :cool:

Bought Synthetic Rig last week, solely because of Parsec's Vocoding capabilities...well, Parsec on it's own was nearly the same price.

Tried out BitSpeak twice! Once when it first came out and again last month on a :re: sub. Still couldn't get the sounds I wanted out of it...until now!

Cheers JL :thumbs_up:
Cool glad you found it useful. I have another updated patch that I can share later... it just adds a Pulsar assigned to mod wheel for vibrato and a scales and chords, which can be added outside of the patch either way. But having open chords on it with some octaves added up or down sounds great IMO. I'll share that in the other thread to keep this one more on topic :)

joeyluck

25 Mar 2019

EnochLight wrote:
25 Mar 2019
MrFigg wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Ah gotcha. Sounds like it might have been a pure speculative response by Magnus (or Fredrik) regarding the matter. Taking into consideration that it hasn't happened, I wouldn't hold my breath for them to find a charity and make such an event occur anytime soon. ;)
They did this on Black Friday. No change in price, just money from sales was donated.

They do however do student discounts. And they also have the VST bundle deal, which saves money, and everybody should have all of their plugins anyways.

• Information