ReSpire bugs - still there? What are they?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2019

Calling all ReSpire experts!
I just started to work with ReSpire, but have seen RT discussions about bugs, but then some of them seems fixed.
Just so I know, and before I dig in, what known bugs are still unresolved?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dusan.cani

25 Mar 2019

I noticed that there is a small lag when using modwheel - sound is a bit delayed while modwheel is in motion.

scratchnsnifff

25 Mar 2019

The biggest thing for respire imo is two areas

Clickable drop down Menus are non existent for main oscillator, env, filter, FX sections as well as modulators (respire only uses click and drag)

The GUI could totally be the same as the vst, but would take work. Respire just looks weird in its current state, working with the arp and stepper is just a tedious experience. Whereas the vst has a normal GUI and an all around better experience when dealing with the stepper arp and mod matrix.

Sure you can do all the same tasks. But it’s almost like a completely different workflow. Which sure it’s a different platform. But if someone on a fan forum can make all the parameters fit on one page with the stepper arp and effects on one tab. Surely the people who made spire can do this as well. Especially since after 9.2 the sdk was updated with those Thor style tabbed pages. And the re shop has a fair amount of non NDA breaking examples.

(Viking vk2, the launchbox semi modular thing that recently got renamed, the umpf series, go2 and surely others have examples of some core functionality on various pages)

Not trying to bash reveal or their amazing sounding products. But the release of 9.5 clearly had an impact and they didn’t seem to want to wait until everything was near perfect.
All this being said reveal sound has come out and said they will do their Due diligence with respire 2.0
I have messaged them and Have talked about the wonkyness between the two and it is acknowledged, so hopefully over time they will address this . I would love to use respire a lot more. But the vst appears to act more like a rack extension than respire. Lol I just want it to live up to the standards that the vst set
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

zoidkirb

25 Mar 2019

Yeah the ui is absolutely painful and will get in the way of exploring and being creative with this synth. But there is hope they will eventually release v2.0. They are a small team so we might need to be patient. I've heard on this forum of people creating their patches on the demo version of Spire vst, and then porting them over to ReSpire as they ares interchangeable. I'm yet to test that out.

scratchnsnifff

26 Mar 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
25 Mar 2019
Yeah the ui is absolutely painful and will get in the way of exploring and being creative with this synth. But there is hope they will eventually release v2.0. They are a small team so we might need to be patient. I've heard on this forum of people creating their patches on the demo version of Spire vst, and then porting them over to ReSpire as they ares interchangeable. I'm yet to test that out.
I haven’t tested that out either. But as far as the GUI is concerned, you would think that they would be more on it. I absolutely loved that fan image that was scaled properly. I feel like respire would absolutely be worth the asking price had it have the same GUI. Also hopefully they will delve into CV in/out as well as gate/notecv in and out

That is one thing that rob papen has excelled at. His vst of predator 1 is almost a 1:1 port. The only real difference is that there is no morphing between presets with the RE. Perhaps one day we will get this in the SDK. That way every synth could in essence become a powerful wavetable sort of synth :)

But yeah, I have high hopes for reveal sound. The only thing we have to do on our part, is let them know what is important to us. Not bombard them, but at least let them know which aspects are important. Iv messaged them a few times about the GUI and I think they said they might look into it. I really hope other users have noticed the difference. Other then that, respire is still the same sound as spire vst, which leaves us with an amazingly powerful workhorse of a synth :). They did do a great job as far as features. It’s just that the GUI makes it a lot harder to use.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

reddust

26 Mar 2019

Sorry to put this question her but I think it makes some sense, considering that both ReSpire and the Spire VST cost the same and Reason 10.3 is supposed to have a better VST performance I'm most likely go for the VST. Did any of you also see some bugs in the VST that are parallel (or not) to ReSpire?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
25 Mar 2019
I agree about the RE UI dilemma. This thread was about known BUGS though. :puf_wink: I would like to know, if anyone knows of any that still remain, so I do not tear my hair over something that is a known bug (in case I encounter something odd).
I was discussed a few times in the past, but I could not fully understand if it got fixed or not.

dezma

27 Mar 2019

The spire story is very simple imo:

They were building a RE version, suddenly props came up with the VST support announcement story and they delivered a product in alpha state just to beat the VST capable reason update. Updates are close to none since then.

I own and really like spire VST, but this part of the story I do not like. I'd consider it a smart move if they would offer paying RE users a free VST license until they got the RE sorted out.

Loque

27 Mar 2019

dezma wrote:
27 Mar 2019
The spire story is very simple imo:

They were building a RE version, suddenly props came up with the VST support announcement story and they delivered a product in alpha state just to beat the VST capable reason update. Updates are close to none since then.

I own and really like spire VST, but this part of the story I do not like. I'd consider it a smart move if they would offer paying RE users a free VST license until they got the RE sorted out.
In the current state of the RE i would agree. But i still prefer RE over VSTs for several reasons.
Reason12, Win10

miscend

27 Mar 2019

dezma wrote:
27 Mar 2019

Updates are close to none since then.
Actually updates to the RE are aligned to updates on the VST version. When they release a new version with new features for the VST, they also update the RE version to bring it up to parity. For example when they recently added the new JP8K chorus and Vowel Filter. This allows the two versions to be patch compatible.

Currently my only issue with the RE is the lack of drop down menus.

WongoTheSane

27 Mar 2019

Boombastix wrote:
26 Mar 2019
I agree about the RE UI dilemma. This thread was about known BUGS though. :puf_wink: I would like to know, if anyone knows of any that still remain, so I do not tear my hair over something that is a known bug (in case I encounter something odd).
I was discussed a few times in the past, but I could not fully understand if it got fixed or not.
I have never encountered a bug in Respire, and the few that I've seen reported have all been fixed. Which is not to say that there aren't, obviously, but if there are, they must be really obscure corner cases. It's as solid as any other device.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
27 Mar 2019
Boombastix wrote:
26 Mar 2019
I have never encountered a bug in Respire, and the few that I've seen reported have all been fixed. Which is not to say that there aren't, obviously, but if there are, they must be really obscure corner cases. It's as solid as any other device.
Perfect, there you have it. Thanks!

tanni

27 Mar 2019

not really a bug, but the REspire needs a lot of CPU for many patches. The vst version dont. There is a big difference between the vst and RE version. Some patches of the REspire kills my CPU (i7 Quadcore). I waited now for more than a year that the developer fix that.

joeyluck

27 Mar 2019

tanni wrote:
27 Mar 2019
not really a bug, but the REspire needs a lot of CPU for many patches. The vst version dont. There is a big difference between the vst and RE version. Some patches of the REspire kills my CPU (i7 Quadcore). I waited now for more than a year that the developer fix that.
They did focus on optimization for one of the updates they did. It's pretty much on par with the other CPU intensive RE synths like Expanse. Also, I find that RE versions typically use more CPU than their VST counterparts, so that is to be expected.

EnochLight

28 Mar 2019

dezma wrote:
27 Mar 2019
[ReSpire] Updates are close to none since then.
miscend wrote:
27 Mar 2019
Actually updates to the RE are aligned to updates on the VST version. When they release a new version with new features for the VST, they also update the RE version to bring it up to parity. For example when they recently added the new JP8K chorus and Vowel Filter. This allows the two versions to be patch compatible.
Just a heads up guys - Spire (VST) was just updated with:
New Spire update v1.1.15 is available:
+ All Osc Pitch modulation target
+ All LFO Rate modulation target
+ Factory soundbank 8 is updated
* Fixes for Pro Tools (AAX) automation
* Stability improvements
And ReSpire is scheduled to be updated the same at the end of April 2019, according to their recent post at KVR (vega555 is Reveal Sound):

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7#p7355427
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

28 Mar 2019

tanni wrote:
27 Mar 2019
I believe that is the same for all rack extensions with a VST counterpart. The RE versions generally use more CPU. I remember there being commenters saying the Legend VST is leaner on CPU. The VST version of Spire itself can be quite heavy heavy on CPU load depending the patch, a slow decaying pad sound using plenty of polyphony can bring down an i7 to it's knees easily.

• Information