Imagine a Tracker-Player

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jam-s

05 Jan 2023

The main advantage of trackers is speed in programming patterns. This is usually done by having a very strong focus on keyboard shortcuts and basically not using a mouse. Sadly the RE framework is rather badly suited for this usage paradigm. Also implementing the FX columns would be not that simple unless the tracker RE would also work as a sample player. Still I'd also like to see something like this.

artotaku

05 Jan 2023

jam-s wrote:
05 Jan 2023
The main advantage of trackers is speed in programming patterns. This is usually done by having a very strong focus on keyboard shortcuts and basically not using a mouse. Sadly the RE framework is rather badly suited for this usage paradigm. Also implementing the FX columns would be not that simple unless the tracker RE would also work as a sample player. Still I'd also like to see something like this.
True. The only widget that you could use for displaying scrollable tracks/note lines is a custom display. However, custom displays has limit input support. They don´t support direct user text input or any further fancy shortcuts. The workaround that is used by some of the modular hardware tracker modules are further buttons to move a cursor around in the tracks and enter characters A-Z like on numerical keyboard. While this works quite well since you have two hands to enter input in a RE you only have a mouse and one hand input. Cumbersome.

But as always, maybe somebody will find a super clever workaround to do it (like in Complex-1). I think the RE SDK has to add further features (flexible shortcuts) and/or widgets that support multi text inputs.

Ahornberg

05 Jan 2023

There is a tracker add-on for Reaper:

https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Hackey-Trackey
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=202382

I tried it out but it feels wonky.

But it could be used as a blueprint for a tracker RE.

• Information