Imagine a Tracker-Player

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ahornberg

21 Mar 2019

Just an idea:

I always found MIDI sequencers with piano roll somewhat limited compared to good old trackers. So I came up with the idea of a tracker player.
tracker.jpg
tracker.jpg (347.5 KiB) Viewed 3809 times

Adabler
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

Yes, please!
:reason: 12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

21 Mar 2019

Great idea!

rcbuse
RE Developer

21 Mar 2019

I've entertained this idea a few times, but sadly the keyboard bindings are just not there. And using a mouse-only tracker just sounds incredibly tedious.

Ahornberg

21 Mar 2019

rcbuse wrote:
21 Mar 2019
I've entertained this idea a few times, but sadly the keyboard bindings are just not there. And using a mouse-only tracker just sounds incredibly tedious.
Yes, I'm thinking about that a lot. One way is to use a controller (e.g. something with a 4 x 4 grid like Maschine) to assign the hex numbers from 0 to F. Another way could be providing the keys as buttons on the RE and let the user assign Keyboard Control Mappings (with all its drawbacks). Maybe there's a way to let a PC keyboard act like a MIDI controller (I assume this would require special hardware like Arduino).

Ahornberg

21 Mar 2019

For windows I found a free solution http://www.soundcosoftware.com/vmcle.html
This device converts the PC keyboard input into MIDI and sends it to wherever you want, e.g. Reason MIDI in.
Now I can write a Remote codec (assuming the Tracker Player would already exist)
For Mac, maybe MIDIKeys does the job (I can't test it because I'm on win).

mon

21 Mar 2019

There is one excellent tracker based instrument in the VST world... https://www.renoise.com/products/redux/
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

Data_Shrine

21 Mar 2019

Anyone tested Redux in Reason ? Does it works fine ?

A tracker player could be even more interesting, allowing us to send all the data to Reason' synths (unless Redux can already do that)

Crumbfort

21 Mar 2019

rcbuse wrote:
21 Mar 2019
If the Panda made a tracker player (and somehow figured out how to make that work), that'd be an instabuy for me. Granted, everything the Panda comes out with is an instabuy for me, but still...! :puf_bigsmile:
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

VariableX

21 Mar 2019

mon wrote:
21 Mar 2019
There is one excellent tracker based instrument in the VST world... https://www.renoise.com/products/redux/
wow that looks awesome!

VariableX

21 Mar 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
21 Mar 2019
rcbuse wrote:
21 Mar 2019
If the Panda made a tracker player (and somehow figured out how to make that work), that'd be an instabuy for me. Granted, everything the Panda comes out with is an instabuy for me, but still...! :puf_bigsmile:
This too!
I have been thinking a few times lately ' i wonder if the Lectric Panda dude is working on anything new'

rcbuse
RE Developer

21 Mar 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
21 Mar 2019
I have been thinking a few times lately ' i wonder if the Lectric Panda dude is working on anything new'
always...

VariableX

21 Mar 2019

rcbuse wrote:
21 Mar 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
21 Mar 2019
always...
:D :thumbs_up:

mon

22 Mar 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
mon wrote:
21 Mar 2019
wow that looks awesome!
Both Renoise and Redux are top-notch products. I am using Renoise for more than 5 years now and it always was a very stable and feature-rich tracker DAW. Redux is basically it’s little brother presented in VST format.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

anko

22 Mar 2019

mon wrote:
22 Mar 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
wow that looks awesome!
Both Renoise and Redux are top-notch products. I am using Renoise for more than 5 years now and it always was a very stable and feature-rich tracker DAW. Redux is basically it’s little brother presented in VST format.
:thumbs_up: :puf_smile:

renoise is a fantastic tracker based daw, and redux is a great tracker based vst instrument.

i started out (many years ago, i'm ooold... :o ) in electronic music with renoise, even though i had no tracker background, and i really think it helped me understand a lot about making sound with computers. of course i've also had reason in my toolkit for some years now, so both extremes for me really: tracker-daw<-->skewmorphic-daw, lol. :lol:

dioxide

22 Mar 2019

rcbuse wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Just an idea – Reason's Keyboard Control Edit mode could be used for this. The GUI would need to have a keyboard though so you can assign keys.

Disclaimer: I've never actually used a tracker though and I'm sure there would be problems. It's just that Keyboard Control in Reason is something that I don't ever see anyone mention online. I wonder if most people remember it exists.

Ahornberg

22 Mar 2019

dioxide wrote:
22 Mar 2019
rcbuse wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Just an idea – Reason's Keyboard Control Edit mode could be used for this. The GUI would need to have a keyboard though so you can assign keys.

Disclaimer: I've never actually used a tracker though and I'm sure there would be problems. It's just that Keyboard Control in Reason is something that I don't ever see anyone mention online. I wonder if most people remember it exists.
I know that Keyboard Control Edit mode exists and at least I use it regularily. The problem is, keyboard assignments can only be saved in a song, not in a Combinator. And if you want to use 2 or more Tracker Players in the same song, you have to reassign all keyboard assignments one by one from one player to the other, so this can't be a practical solution.

Loque

22 Mar 2019

rcbuse wrote:
21 Mar 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
21 Mar 2019
always...
Don't make me poor :shock:
Reason12, Win10

Marc64

22 Mar 2019

Redux is pretty cool, there is also reVISIT https://revisit.info/

OverneathTheSkyBridg

26 Mar 2019

Yep as others have said Redux is the answer to this, and it's very reasonably priced. You can download a trial version to test it out, it fades in some white noise every once in a while but otherwise is fully featured. I've played with it in Reason and it seems to work properly. Also Renoise is the best tracker around if you're looking for a standalone.

Ahornberg

27 Mar 2019

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
26 Mar 2019
Yep as others have said Redux is the answer to this, and it's very reasonably priced. You can download a trial version to test it out, it fades in some white noise every once in a while but otherwise is fully featured. I've played with it in Reason and it seems to work properly. Also Renoise is the best tracker around if you're looking for a standalone.
I talked about a Player device, not a VST.

tronikform

27 Mar 2019

Maybe something along those lines:
nerdseq_alu-2-705x705.jpg
nerdseq_alu-2-705x705.jpg (92.15 KiB) Viewed 3400 times

In regards to control, as a workaround, one could use Reason MIDI/computer keyboard (F4) for programming.

borracho

04 Jan 2023

It is such a cool idea having tracker-like player... can't wait when someone makes such a device

fullforce

04 Jan 2023

I'll use Renoise, thanks. You can also use Renoise Redux as a plugin.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

visheshl

04 Jan 2023

I have never used a tracker, but have heard and seen videos....i mean reason is an emulation of all those synths and samplers from yesteryear...so why not have such an emulator...

• Information