My newest RE "Forgotten Convolver" is now available!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ForgottenClank
RE Developer

20 Mar 2019

Hi guys!

I'm super excited that the RE I've been working on the past months is available in the shop. It is a custom filter which allows you to build all kinds of crazy stuff. Check out the product page and the showcase video if you're interested!

Cheers,
Adam

eusti

20 Mar 2019

Congrats, Adam! Very pretty RE! And cool video!

D.

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2019

Looks usefull, and that nice graphic... Gonna try tonight, but it looks irresistible. I take advantage both of your re-s, so i think my re library will grow bigger.

Odoslané z SM-G930F pomocou Tapatalku

Loque

20 Mar 2019

I am not sure what this thing does, but...
tumblr_lus9kvLkzB1r2re5xo1_500.gif
tumblr_lus9kvLkzB1r2re5xo1_500.gif (249.03 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
Reason12, Win10

eusti

20 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
20 Mar 2019
I am not sure what this thing does, but...
To me, as I seem more "ein Mann fuers Grobe" (a man for big picture issues), this might not be the right tool... Or maybe the examples were more on the subtle side... Or my hearing is going to crap... Who knows... ;)

Very pretty though! :)

D.

Loque

20 Mar 2019

While i am reading the manual, it is a thing to create filters by generating impulse responses. Directly this points came into my mind:
* Can "Shift" be used as a keyboard follow or does this need an extra CV translation or midi input?
* Would it be possible to display the input signal in the FFT display? Does this make sense?
* What about some more modifiers? So i can increase the difference in the response to make the filter more resonating as an example (yap...i want to use it as a real filter)
* Would it make sense to add saturation depending on the IR gain? This would result in a filter with overdrive?

I have nervous fingers...need to try it...
Reason12, Win10

olive6741

20 Mar 2019

I think this:
http://www.micromodeler.com/articles/IntroductionToDSP/
is very interesting to complement the knowledge of how to use this RE.
Don't hesitate to try out the 'Launch' tab (and then run in browser "Free Community edition" ), then it gives real life cases of different digital filters. I found this quite useful and not too complicated to understand.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

20 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
20 Mar 2019
eusti wrote:
20 Mar 2019
To me, as I seem more "ein Mann fuers Grobe" (a man for big picture issues), this might not be the right tool...
In my experience, the device can create huge boosts/cuts - especially the analogue module. The digital module can add a subtle body to a sound but is also capable of sculpting the frequency content to a great extent, if you're leaving the "Fade Out" button off.
praznovsky.m wrote:
20 Mar 2019
Looks usefull, and that nice graphic... Gonna try tonight, but it looks irresistible. I take advantage both of your re-s, so i think my re library will grow bigger.
That's amazing to hear! Glad you like them.
Loque wrote:
20 Mar 2019
While i am reading the manual, it is a thing to create filters by generating impulse responses. Directly this points came into my mind:
* Can "Shift" be used as a keyboard follow or does this need an extra CV translation or midi input?
* Would it be possible to display the input signal in the FFT display? Does this make sense?
* What about some more modifiers? So i can increase the difference in the response to make the filter more resonating as an example (yap...i want to use it as a real filter)
* Would it make sense to add saturation depending on the IR gain? This would result in a filter with overdrive?

I have nervous fingers...need to try it...
1. "Shift" cannot be used to follow the keyboard, though it might be useful for the analogue module. I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion!
2. Do you mean displaying the frequency spectrum of the input signal? That might be a desirable feature. I'll see if I can add it.
3. More modifiers are not yet planned but if there are suggestions on what might be cool, I'm open to implementing some more.
4. I don't think saturation is necessary. This is not a device built to emulate a specific filter type so I don't think it would fit the devices area of application.
Me playing with their filter design tool actually sparked the idea for this RE. Definitely a great site to learn more about the inner workings of filters!

O1B

20 Mar 2019

Hope you don't mind me posting your video here.
This is a very interesting way to study EQ Curves and Phase interactions - and make Presets for them.

College Acoustic. Nice choice.

SoulState

20 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
20 Mar 2019

D.
Yip pretty. First thought that came to mind ;)
:reason:

EnochLight

20 Mar 2019

ForgottenClank wrote:
20 Mar 2019
Hi guys!

I'm super excited that the RE I've been working on the past months is available in the shop. It is a custom filter which allows you to build all kinds of crazy stuff. Check out the product page and the showcase video if you're interested!

Cheers,
Adam

That's a fantastic looking GUI/UX for an RE, Adam - great job! That said, why only a 480p screen cap on your demo video? This thing needs to be showcased in at least 1080p. It's beautiful!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

danc

20 Mar 2019

EnochLight wrote:
20 Mar 2019
That's a fantastic looking GUI/UX for an RE, Adam - great job! That said, why only a 480p screen cap on your demo video? This thing needs to be showcased in at least 1080p. It's beautiful!
At last - something interesting and different! Love the idea of sculpting using automation in real-time... will definitely trial and buying if sounds as good as it looks.
Check my Soundcloud:

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

My signal processing prof from university would cream his pants looking at that plugin. What a great mixture between musical usability and actual filter design.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

minilog

21 Mar 2019

Looks like a great device with the potential for adding movement to tracks.

EdGrip

21 Mar 2019

I don't know anything about this plugin, other than - that UI demands that everyone else up their game.

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

EdGrip wrote:
21 Mar 2019
I don't know anything about this plugin, other than - that UI demands that everyone else up their game.
yes

scratchnsnifff

24 Mar 2019

So after trialing, it’s a fun device! Idk if it’s possible but could this device have a feature that lets you sweep the curves made in the display?

I thought the workflow was something to the effect of ... draw a curve and let the shape sweep left to right which in turn makes for a drawable filter. I notice that the digital mode sort of has this? At first glance and for the first try, it seems very cool!
Thanks for the new device :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

24 Mar 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Mar 2019
So after trialing, it’s a fun device! Idk if it’s possible but could this device have a feature that lets you sweep the curves made in the display?

I thought the workflow was something to the effect of ... draw a curve and let the shape sweep left to right which in turn makes for a drawable filter. I notice that the digital mode sort of has this? At first glance and for the first try, it seems very cool!
Thanks for the new device :)
Can you elaborate? I am not sure I understand what you mean by "sweep the curves". The analog module makes it easier to make a filter have some sort of "cutoff" like a traditional low- or high-pass filter, it is impossible with the digital module. Are you thinking of Parsec's filter by any chance? IIRC you can draw in a frequency response and shift it around in the frequency domain.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

28 May 2020

The device got an update.
The analog module has been re-coded for more consistent and better filtering. A few bugs have been squashed and the displays now react to CV inputs.

Loque

28 May 2020

Nice! :thumbs_up:

ForgottonClank is on the fastlane!
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

28 May 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
28 May 2020
The device got an update.
The analog module has been re-coded for more consistent and better filtering. A few bugs have been squashed and the displays now react to CV inputs.
At the 2:57 mark in the new video - is that a bug? Looks like the analog/digital buttons in the upper right aren't responding or they're getting stuck:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

28 May 2020

EnochLight wrote:
28 May 2020
At the 2:57 mark in the new video - is that a bug? Looks like the analog/digital buttons in the upper right aren't responding or they're getting stuck:
I don't think so. Maybe the hitbox is very tight (pixel-perfect) but I am definitely not a very precise clicker. I haven't noticed them getting stuck but they are not very big so misclicking is fairly easy if you want to be quick.

EnochLight

28 May 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
28 May 2020
EnochLight wrote:
28 May 2020
I don't think so. Maybe the hitbox is very tight (pixel-perfect) but I am definitely not a very precise clicker. I haven't noticed them getting stuck but they are not very big so misclicking is fairly easy if you want to be quick.
Ok, makes sense. Thanks!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 May 2020

How do you guys use this in a production or musical context? As opposed to the existing LP filter modules.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

28 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
28 May 2020
How do you guys use this in a production or musical context? As opposed to the existing LP filter modules.
I am still figuring it out. Its some kind of IR filter AFAIU. You define a wave and this represents a filter response. In simple cases it is some kind of EQ curve. The more weird the curve gets, the more weird the high end gets. Its like a wave in a wavetable synth - the more weird it gets, the more high end you get.

You can add a bit of movement, which be handy for pads and stuff. I think this is some kind of trial and error device, since the results are a bit unpredictable and it can be a simple filter curve or a more complex EQ curve.

The analog filter has some different filter types. I am currently experimenting with the allpass filters to create some phasers.

At ths point, it is some trial and error and experimentation device for me. If i have a sound, which needs a different unexpected direction, i gonna try this device. Or if i am looking for some phasing stuff. GOnna experiment more to have a better feeling for it.

Its clearly rather for the experimental rather sound designers than for mixing engineers or some simple sound fx. Its kinda unique, but also a bit unpredictable.
Reason12, Win10

• Information