Sample based rack extensions ?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sleep1979

28 Feb 2019

There are some like maia which sounds nice to me , and hydronexius ( havent tried it yet ( always cheap )and stringwerk , what are some more good ones , i have a good va synth in diva and i got europa , so im never gonna go for parsec or exanse ( presets sound weak on that thing ) or viking or the legend none of them sounded better than diva to me , so on the lookout for good samples based racks , this is where developers should concentrate , take on kontakt , have some, trumpets and and quirky ambient libaries , just synths synths synths is all i see for a preset guy they bore me and dont sound as good as something with some organic flavour in there, so the question whats the beat sample based rack extensions, and is anyone gonna make some good ones in the future ?

WongoTheSane

28 Feb 2019

Republik!

And before MrFigg chimes in, More Cowbell! :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
28 Feb 2019
Republik!

And before MrFigg chimes in, More Cowbell! :lol:
You’re just trying to make me jealous because you’ve already got it. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reddust

28 Feb 2019

The ones I know are pretty special, as they are sample based but go in a very concrete direction, like Koto Nation (actually it is a RefIll I think) for Japanese koto and shamisen, Umpf drum clubs for drums and super audio cart for game console sounds, which with a little bit of tweaking seems to give nice sounds too.

I have to say that I actually like the direction Propellerheads is taking, not so much concerning the bunch of synths they already have in the shop but what is coming new to this. What I mean is the implementation of helping devices to create unique sounds, like the drum sequencer, the dual arpeggiator, quad note generator... those are tweaking tools that together with the many possibilities Reason already offer give the user a lot of options to create unique sounds. Native Instruments is also doing something similar now with the development of Reaktor Blocks.

In Reason there are a lot of synths too and I personally don't think I'm going to get more for a long time, because I still have a lot to learn about the ones I already own (Europa, Thor, Malström, Parsec2, Subtractor, Grain Modulator...) and at the end it comes to the final sound you get, and many of these synths kind of sound the same. But I think tweaking the sound in the synths Reason already brings in the full version and mixing them with the players and effects included can give a sound as good as any sampled synth instrument and even a more unique one.

That's why I think I prefer to get more tweaking options and players rather than sample based instrument. Or more instruments with a user interface like the one on Super Audio Cart, which is easy to understand and nevertheless offers a lot of tweaking options without looking too complicated. In the case of Thor or Subtractor the user interface is kind of overwhelming if you're not familiarized with synths, which is my case, so I generally end up using external VSTs or Rack Extensions.

I really want to learn how to use the synths included in Reason but I don't feel like buying rack extensions like Complex-1, Viking or Expanse either, having to learn their user interfaces just to end up getting a pretty similar sound to what I already can do with Europa or Thor.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2019

Seem to remember Meteora by Turn2on being ok as far as Romplers go. Saying that, I got it free.
Hydronexius and Aquios...nah. I’ve said it many times but to me everything by DNA Labs sounds the same. Try them first.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

sleep1979

28 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Feb 2019
Seem to remember Meteora by Turn2on being ok as far as Romplers go. Saying that, I got it free.
Hydronexius and Aquios...nah. I’ve said it many times but to me everything by DNA Labs sounds the same. Try them first.
only maia sound good to me I have intro , how do I try out soundiron plug ins with the demo to see if I want to upgrade

strangers
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Feb 2019
I was one of the many trigger happy RE acquirers when things popped up for free or cheap. This was one I've regretted since it haunts me every time I sync my account. It'll rise from the delete forever.

two shoes

28 Feb 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
28 Feb 2019
There are some like maia which sounds nice to me , and hydronexius ( havent tried it yet ( always cheap )and stringwerk , what are some more good ones , i have a good va synth in diva and i got europa , so im never gonna go for parsec or exanse ( presets sound weak on that thing ) or viking or the legend none of them sounded better than diva to me , so on the lookout for good samples based racks , this is where developers should concentrate , take on kontakt , have some, trumpets and and quirky ambient libaries , just synths synths synths is all i see for a preset guy they bore me and dont sound as good as something with some organic flavour in there, so the question whats the beat sample based rack extensions, and is anyone gonna make some good ones in the future ?
nothing to me, but you're missing out if you write off parsec (an additive synth that can do whole categories of things diva and europa can't), expanse (prolly the most versatile wavetable synth in any format atm), viking 2 (the current state of the art in va soft synths), and the legend (the best moog emulation on the market right now by a fair margin).

and having written off four of the best plugin instruments availabe you're looking for..... another rompler? i mean, republik is great, but talk about dismissing some of the best stuff out there out of hand. i kinda feel sorry for you.

sleep1979

01 Mar 2019

two shoes wrote:
28 Feb 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
28 Feb 2019
nothing to me, but you're missing out if you write off parsec (an additive synth that can do whole categories of things diva and europa can't), expanse (prolly the most versatile wavetable synth in any format atm), viking 2 (the current state of the art in va soft synths), and the legend (the best moog emulation on the market right now by a fair margin).

and having written off four of the best plugin instruments availabe you're looking for..... another rompler? i mean, republik is great, but talk about dismissing some of the best stuff out there out of hand. i kinda feel sorry for you.
I think they are the best things for sound designers who have years of experience, excluding parsec . the presets on all these sound weak out of the box to me , and i see presets as a presentation of what things can do ( for someone whos crap at writing them , what im talking about here is having more sample libaries like kontakt has ie , sampled stuff brass, winds , pianos etc, why wouldnt you encourage that unless you only want synthesized sounds ? And why do you really need more than one or two of these synths ? I have diva , europa , and thor , can you explain in a few words why i would need parsec ? Does it has a sampled harp sound , or would i have to sample it myself, im just a singer/songwriter i havent got time for that , i want to see a mix i the shop , synths and sampled stuff for , song tweakers and songwriters , atm , you still need to go buy vst like kontakt , would be nice to have it all in the rack is what im saying , peace

sleep1979

01 Mar 2019

The legend sounds crap to me i got to be honest and viking but then i dont like those type of sounding synths and i cAnt create decent enough sounds on them myself , and on diva i have presets by the unfinished and sonic underworld and luftrum so they sound beautiful to me , yes ive tried making my own , but i prefer to tweak as i aint got a lifetime to create sounds from scratch that would sound half as good as the pro sounds , i wanna start finishing some songs , I understand i may have to go the kontakt route to get what i want , i was just making a point we need more sample based stuff there are enough synths now , too many far too many and you know it , 🙂

• Information