Radical Piano/ Keys. Hmm

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonable man

02 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Reasonable man wrote:
02 Mar 2019
I bought the turn2on resonator jobby ..(which is on sale) like the way it works with radical.
Whatcha think of Resonator? I haven’t tried it but I’m thinking it might be a better idea to pay a bit more and buy Resonans instead.
Yea i hear reasonans is great , i've also hear its a bit dsp hungry but then i havn't trialled it so i dont know.
I personally have enough physical modelling stuff and i guess if you count the noise enigerring stuff on top of that i couldn't justify resonans as well. I rememeber seeing the hydlide video on resonans and i think he was combining it with fm etc. I don't think the resonator re can manange that . It dosn't do veloctity to decay or resonance but it does keyboard tracking to resonace and theres an lfo which can be used to almsot give the resonance a release time and other stuff.

Its not an effect to overuse imo and can get overpowering fast. Tis a nice suble effect and when you dial in a small amount and tweak it it sounds beautifull with piano in particular . After a while you don't notice its there until you bypass the effect and notice the difference.
I'm tying to get that reasonnt piano sound from the nine nine inch nails track 13 ghosts which was used in the film 'the raid 2' ..it requires a bit of multiband eq but this device is necessary imo for that type of sound.. ive had no luck replicate that type of sound without it ...but then that could be just me!

TheGodOfRainbows

02 Mar 2019

Ottostrom wrote:
26 Feb 2019
That being said it's still my absolute favorite piano to play! The physical modeling makes it so responsive and expressive, which I've yet to find in any of the sample based pianos I've tried.
I love RP for this reason. It 'feels' very responsive and expressive. And I love all the controls for things like key up/down and pedal, and the velocity response curve. I think its underrated for that reason alone. The drift control is nice too, as is the resonance level (I really like how it sounds with that cranked up for soft gentle music).

Also, the pedal sustain is great and adds to expressiveness. I use a Yamaha FC3: 'Instead of a typical on/off type pedal the half-damper feature allows you to fine tune your sustain by varying the pressure on the pedal, giving you great control of your performance much like an acoustic piano.'

Djstarski

03 Mar 2019

QVprod wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Djstarski wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Have you watched this video ?

if you have some time on your hands try and read some of the comments .
I think when you compare to something like Addictive keys there's a clear difference. Even in this video Radical sounds a lot more like a CP 80 than it does a real piano. which is cool in it's own right. https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addic ... tric_grand
I hear what your saying . The reason i put the video here is so you can hear what it sounds like with a real keyboard player playing . I`m not a keyboard player , so when i play Radical Piano it does not sound as good . At the end of the day its your taste that counts .

QVprod

04 Mar 2019

Djstarski wrote:
03 Mar 2019
QVprod wrote:
02 Mar 2019

I think when you compare to something like Addictive keys there's a clear difference. Even in this video Radical sounds a lot more like a CP 80 than it does a real piano. which is cool in it's own right. https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addic ... tric_grand
I hear what your saying . The reason i put the video here is so you can hear what it sounds like with a real keyboard player playing . I`m not a keyboard player , so when i play Radical Piano it does not sound as good . At the end of the day its your taste that counts .
Yep it's all tastes. I'm a keyboard player and can agree that a good player can make something sound better, but a good sounding piano is gonna have good tone no matter who plays it.

Magnus

05 Mar 2019

Radical Piano sounds best in a dense mix, it cuts through well.

I used it for the piano on these versions of Satie's Gymnopedie that I did: https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... NAH6WR8zqw

It sounded better in the mix than when I used the ID8 pianos or Reason Pianos. However, there have been ballad songs I've done where Reason Pianos worked better in the mix. It's good to have a nice variety of different tools for different requirements.

gwakefield

05 Mar 2019

Wow guys, I have not used many sampled pianos other than some of the Korg stuff, like the M1, Wavestation, Triton and some of the Reason stuff, but for the most part, hated all of them. They all sounded so utterly wooden to me and in general I don't like, and never have, sampling. But personally, I was blown away by Radikal's modelling, My only gripe is that it sounds really strident once you get your MIDI velocities too high. How many of you think it sounds okay in the way that it came out? Due to it alone, I ended up composing a piece in the classical mode that started out on my upright. Obviously, there's a nod to the impressionists painters and composers here. https://soundcloud.com/raven-2741/on-reflection

QVprod

06 Mar 2019

gwakefield wrote:
05 Mar 2019
Wow guys, I have not used many sampled pianos other than some of the Korg stuff, like the M1, Wavestation, Triton and some of the Reason stuff, but for the most part, hated all of them. They all sounded so utterly wooden to me and in general I don't like, and never have, sampling. But personally, I was blown away by Radikal's modelling, My only gripe is that it sounds really strident once you get your MIDI velocities too high. How many of you think it sounds okay in the way that it came out? Due to it alone, I ended up composing a piece in the classical mode that started out on my upright. Obviously, there's a nod to the impressionists painters and composers here. https://soundcloud.com/raven-2741/on-reflection
You just named the worst sounding sampled pianos imaginable. Prior to the Kronos, all of Korg's acoustic piano sounds were terrible. Of course Radical would sound like a dream compared to any old Korg stuff. Sampled plugins are leagues better than the stuff on workstations. The high velocities in Radical is one of it's issues but I think that might be something modeled pianos in general don't nail too well, yet sampled pianos do just fine at. I Also have Arturia Piano V2 (also a modeled piano) and while it sounds more real than Radical, its higher velocities are lacking somethings as well.

WeLoveYouToo

06 Mar 2019

like magnus said, radical pianos is not usable as a stand alone virtual piano, but it does work nicely in a mix where you dont want the natural warmth of a piano. the other thing i like about radical piano is that you can route your vocals into the same ir reverb as the piano and it sits nicely, but not really usable outside those specific cases.

i HIGHLY reccomend pianoteq... reason pianos is a bit antiquated in 2019 (though the ms. mills piano in reason abbey road pianos is still a fav of mine)
pianoteq is not sample based, it’s all algorithmic, and in being so it can create harmonics based on which notes you are playing simultaneously, which is what really distinguishes a real piano from a sampled one.

if i could only buy one vst to use alongside reason’s native insteuments, it would probably be pianoteq.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
06 Mar 2019

(though the ms. mills piano in reason abbey road pianos is still a fav of mine)
Actually one of the ones I use most myself.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WeLoveYouToo

06 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Mar 2019
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
06 Mar 2019

heck yeah!
i find the only sample based instruments i use are ones with a character that is far from pristine. for example, the only time i want to use horns is when i want someone blasting away on a trombone with their cheeks about to burst, but most samples are someone playing it in a studio as f***ing clinically as possible. ms mills is one of those few sampled instruments that really has characther

Djstarski

06 Mar 2019

Here is another video i came across . Radical piano is the first one he plays .

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2019

I've complained about Radikal Piano the day it got out.
Compared to Reason Pianos, its sound is crappy, too plastic. It's a pity because the modelling components are great (the harmonic dampening sounds good, the sympathetic harmony too, the mechanical noises are better than in Rpi, you can do half pedaling). These are all stuff that you can't program with nn-XT and thus the refill didn't have this stuff.

Also i have some doubt (the highs in Radikal Pianos are really crappy) that Radikal piano cuts in a mix as a piano like the "Life's what you make of it" patch on the RPi. That patch is my go to for any busy mix, it cuts, and stays out of the way from bass, it has a great tone, and its already compressed, so a lot of the massaging is already done when it gets to your mix channel. And it you use the combi controls, you'll see the refill isn't THAT messy, and you can alter a lot of stuff in the combis (most important stuff for the mix is there, HPF, reverb, compress...).

I always look at Radikal Piano as the piano that could have been. Such a nice IDE, great functionality and a crappy sound.

IMHO, if you're into pianos, and like the Radikal Piano approach, Soundiron Emotional Piano is a bit like it. It doesn't have as many options, but it is maybe at the same level as Rpi and it's quite easy to use.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Mar 2019
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
06 Mar 2019

I Love ms. mills, but it is not for every stuff! ;)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2019

Here's a comparison between the 3 pianos in RPI and ms mill and the challen i did a couple of years ago. My idea was to also test Radikal at the time but i didn't have it. I might do it again including the Souniron.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2019

Djstarski wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Here is another video i came across . Radical piano is the first one he plays .
Xiet!

This guy can play! A Lot!!!!

• Information