Fuzz

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MarkTarlton

26 Feb 2019

I haven't found an RE that I like for fuzz. I have all the stuff from UAD, and their big muff sounds very digital compared to the real ones, and I have a few. My current favorite distortions in the box are the therimonic culture vulture, and soundtoys decapitator in that order....I don't like the fabfilter saturn...and futzbox is good for some stuff, but not my fave.

I agree with the few people that have mentioned fuzz just isn't there yet, if you grew up plugging in things like guitar pedals as a kid....those still blow away plug ins in my opinion.

I do like the softube freebie RE, if you don't have that it's worth picking up :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
26 Feb 2019
I agree with the few people that have mentioned fuzz just isn't there yet, if you grew up plugging in things like guitar pedals as a kid....those still blow away plug ins in my opinion.
My first distortion was. £1.99 plastic condenser mic from Tandy plugged into an old National Panasonic tape recorder and stuck into the sound hole of a crap nylon acoustic. But I loved it :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MarkTarlton

26 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
26 Feb 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
26 Feb 2019
My first distortion was. £1.99 plastic condenser mic from Tandy plugged into an old National Panasonic tape recorder and stuck into the sound hole of a crap nylon acoustic. But I loved it :).
that's awesome!

ejanuska

26 Feb 2019

I usually just record my guitar dry and add effects later. Recording a mic'd up tube amp set to stun is not practical for me. I've done it, but it takes time to set up. I have to deal with noise, hum, wife, etc. I don't have time for that.
I had been using Scream4 with combinations of Softube Guitar Amp, Fatuator, Pulverizor, etc., but rarely getting my sound right.
I would spend a lot of time tweaking and farting around. It's a time suck again.

I recently started using Guitar Rig by Native Instruments (VST). I already owned it since I have Komplete, but forgot about it until I was considering buying some Kuassa REs.
The presets in Guitar Rig are what hooked me. Lots of them, named after well known songs/artists so if you know what you're shooting for it's easy to find something that works quickly. The rock purist in me that loves pedals and amps complains, but when the song is done I don't think anybody knows or cares if I used a plug-in or a boutique pedal. Nobody cares anyhow, but that is something different.

Reason seems to be more focused on the electronic/rap/beats music world, lots of preset choices for those genres, not as much for rock. Not hating, just saying.

BRIGGS

26 Feb 2019

ejanuska wrote:
26 Feb 2019
I usually just record my guitar dry and add effects later. Recording a mic'd up tube amp set to stun is not practical for me. I've done it, but it takes time to set up. I have to deal with noise, hum, wife, etc. I don't have time for that.
I had been using Scream4 with combinations of Softube Guitar Amp, Fatuator, Pulverizor, etc., but rarely getting my sound right.
I would spend a lot of time tweaking and farting around. It's a time suck again.

I recently started using Guitar Rig by Native Instruments (VST). I already owned it since I have Komplete, but forgot about it until I was considering buying some Kuassa REs.
The presets in Guitar Rig are what hooked me. Lots of them, named after well known songs/artists so if you know what you're shooting for it's easy to find something that works quickly. The rock purist in me that loves pedals and amps complains, but when the song is done I don't think anybody knows or cares if I used a plug-in or a boutique pedal. Nobody cares anyhow, but that is something different.

Reason seems to be more focused on the electronic/rap/beats music world, lots of preset choices for those genres, not as much for rock. Not hating, just saying.
I've owned more pedals than I care to admit, but I still prefer plugins....

Need six fuzzes, set differently, running in parallel...plugins do the job, no mess. Yeah, they may not be 'authentic' to 'purists' but 'whatever works'. At the end of day, all that 'boutique' quality gets lost in a mix.

Instead, I go for character differentiation and workflow.
r11s

• Information