Work on the "Forgotten Waveshaper v2.0" has begun. What do YOU want to see?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ForgottenClank
RE Developer

24 Feb 2019

Hi!

The new version of the "Forgotten Waveshaper" is in the planning phase. While tons of exciting new features will be implemented I would like to hear from you guys:

1. What do you like in the existing version v1.2?
2. What would you like to see improved?
3. What feature do you use most often?
4. What feature is completely useless to you?
5. What does your dream distortion device look like?

Feel free to leave any thoughts on the device here and I'll make sure to address them!
I would love to hear from you!
Adam

Loque

24 Feb 2019

Beside all the different ways to shape the distortion curve like sin, triangle and stuff with different frequencies, freeform, independent curve parts which can be separated i always was curious how a controllable antialiasing and a controllable frequency slapback which is tuned would sound like.

A good oversampling would be useful.

And yes, CV controllable parameters to punch the distortion in with an envelope and stuff...
Reason12, Win10

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

24 Feb 2019

To be honest, I need to ask you to elaborate on all the points you listed. Do you own the device? Some features like oversampling and CV inputs are already implemented.

Loque

25 Feb 2019

ForgottenClank wrote:
24 Feb 2019
To be honest, I need to ask you to elaborate on all the points you listed. Do you own the device? Some features like oversampling and CV inputs are already implemented.
No, i haven't, i already have several devices that can do the things of your WaveShaper and i didn't looked after it for a while. Indeed there were a few additions in the meantime. Maybe it's time to check it out and see how far it can get with the curve.

What about antialiasing and tuned frequency slapback (if the harmonics gone beyond the frequency range)?
Reason12, Win10

ScavvP

25 Feb 2019

A few things I would like to see:

- a customizable grid where you can set a x- and a y-value with the ability to snap to grid
- an option to only show the upper right quadrant
- the ability to move upper right (and bottom left) point (right now they are fixed at (1,1) and (-1,-1))
- move symmetry button to the front of the device

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

25 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Feb 2019
What about antialiasing and tuned frequency slapback (if the harmonics gone beyond the frequency range)?
These issues are taken care of by the oversampling to a good extent.
ScavvP wrote:
25 Feb 2019
A few things I would like to see:

- a customizable grid where you can set a x- and a y-value with the ability to snap to grid
That's a great idea! I'll definitely implement that.
ScavvP wrote:
25 Feb 2019
- an option to only show the upper right quadrant
What would you use that for? More screen real-estate?
ScavvP wrote:
25 Feb 2019
- the ability to move upper right (and bottom left) point (right now they are fixed at (1,1) and (-1,-1))
While they are fixed at the moment I can't imagine which shape you wouldn't be able to draw at the moment. Can you elaborate on this?
ScavvP wrote:
25 Feb 2019
- move symmetry button to the front of the device
This will definitely happen!

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2019

A lot of the time I'm getting these clicking sounds when trying to get certain shapes.

I've used other waveshapers that don't act this way. It's really the only thing that is stopping me from using it all the time. Maybe it's just user error but I feel like the clicking sound shouldn't occur.
Click.zip
(893 Bytes) Downloaded 51 times

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

25 Feb 2019

Thanks for bringing this up, aeox. I've sent you a private message to not clutter up the thread.

olive6741

25 Feb 2019

Morphing from one curve to another would be great... But it means it would be necessary to implement some storage of A/B settings. I think it could be great to morph in realtime from symmetric to assymetric curves this way, which totally change harmonic contents (IIRC).

Loque

25 Feb 2019

olive6741 wrote:
25 Feb 2019
Morphing from one curve to another would be great... But it means it would be necessary to implement some storage of A/B settings. I think it could be great to morph in realtime from symmetric to assymetric curves this way, which totally change harmonic contents (IIRC).
That is an interesting idea and it could be done quite simple with a linear morph between each parameter. If you want it different, everything needs to be automated, because the possibilities how to "morph" from one parameter to the other are endless.
Reason12, Win10

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

25 Feb 2019

olive6741 wrote:
25 Feb 2019
That's a great idea and definitely works well with the new overall new design. Noted!

PinkSlime

25 Feb 2019

All design tools are very welcome, maybe a lowpass filter with a gentle slope to even the high end a bit, if wanted.

Loque

25 Feb 2019

PinkSlime wrote:
25 Feb 2019
All design tools are very welcome, maybe a lowpass filter with a gentle slope to even the high end a bit, if wanted.
Cluttering this device with additional function can easily be a never ending story. A LPF, HPF, Compressor, EQ, Multiband, Envelope, LFO, M/S, ... Just keep things simple and separate tasks to each device on its own.
Reason12, Win10

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

25 Feb 2019

PinkSlime wrote:
25 Feb 2019
I will see if I can squeeze something in. It would definitely not be a bad idea, but (as Loque said) flexibility and ease of use have to be balanced. Thanks for the suggestion!

scratchnsnifff

27 Feb 2019

The ability to have a morphing curve. So basically slap on another drawing area and let there be a morph knob where you can do something like having a hard clip mode but you crossdade to a sine kind of curve? Does this make sense? The parameters to the right let you kind of do this. But this would let you quickly morph from one shape to another
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

27 Feb 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
27 Feb 2019
The ability to have a morphing curve. So basically slap on another drawing area and let there be a morph knob where you can do something like having a hard clip mode but you crossdade to a sine kind of curve?
It's on the todo-list as it goes very well with the new design and features of v2.0. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

East Island

02 Mar 2019

I love waveshaper 1.2, with the morph functionit will be greater.😜

Here my ideas;

Import wavetables, a rotary knob for position. also CV input for the position.
and an audio input. with a rotary knob for frames. 100% normal frames and 0% freeze.

Greetings Tonie.
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

02 Mar 2019

East Island wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Import wavetables, a rotary knob for position. also CV input for the position.
Interesting ideas! I have the suspicion, though, that it will be incredibly difficult to implement. I'll see what the distortion algorithms would sound like with wavetables as waveshapes and decide if it is worth implementing.
Thanks for the suggestion!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Mar 2019

Hi. I see you’re online just now. Maybe it’s inappropriate to ask. Maybe it’s too early to say. But I have cash in hand right now to buy FWS and am unsure whether to wait until 2 comes out. You maybe haven’t made any decisions yet but is the upgrade going to be free for existing users? Even for a short time. Again...you don’t need to answer :). Hope you don’t mind me asking.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

02 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
02 Mar 2019
You maybe haven’t made any decisions yet but is the upgrade going to be free for existing users?
This is an issue I haven't fully decided on. I did want to make it a free upgrade but due to some reasons (bad coding practices at the time, legacy features/bugs I want to but can't get rid of etc.) I need to make it a completely new device. I would like to give out all the free licenses I am allowed to give, to owners of v1.2. Unfortunately, that will not be enough so the best I can offer is a discount for the others. Though, if you are interested, I can get you on the list of free licenses early, because you were the first to ask ;)
Edit: I'd like to add, that v2.0 will be quite a different experience and easier to use, in case you decide to buy v1.2 first.

East Island

02 Mar 2019

ForgottenClank wrote:
02 Mar 2019
It will be incredibly difficult to implement. I'll see what the distortion algorithms would sound like with wavetables as waveshapes and decide if it is worth implementing.
I understand that it can be difficult. And I hope you deliver beautiful and fascinating waves. Together with the morph function you get a dynamic waveshaper.
:thumbs_up:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Mar 2019

ForgottenClank wrote:
02 Mar 2019
MrFigg wrote:
02 Mar 2019
You maybe haven’t made any decisions yet but is the upgrade going to be free for existing users?
This is an issue I haven't fully decided on. I did want to make it a free upgrade but due to some reasons (bad coding practices at the time, legacy features/bugs I want to but can't get rid of etc.) I need to make it a completely new device. I would like to give out all the free licenses I am allowed to give, to owners of v1.2. Unfortunately, that will not be enough so the best I can offer is a discount for the others. Though, if you are interested, I can get you on the list of free licenses early, because you were the first to ask ;)
Edit: I'd like to add, that v2.0 will be quite a different experience and easier to use, in case you decide to buy v1.2 first.
Totally understand man. And of course you should be paid for your work (I know the cut after all commissions is very low. ). It was more a general wondering which made me ask. Good luck with the developing. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

02 Mar 2019

East Island wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Together with the morph function you get a dynamic waveshaper.
I hope so. I am very excited about the new design concept as I think it will include much more flexibility as well as ease of use - which means faster and better custom distortion algorithms. Don't want to say too much, though. If any of you are interested in WIP information, you can always go to my facebook page. Occasionally I post some pictures there.

East Island

24 Mar 2019

Any news on the update?

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

24 Mar 2019

Since I'm completely re-coding it, I am still only working on the GUI and am playing around a bit with different approaches. I have, however, implemented a few new features and have gotten some ideas for even more features that I am very excited about.

• Information