Rumble K2 Builder by Oenkenstein Audio in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Oenkenstein
RE Developer

22 Feb 2019

Hi,

Today I released a new Rack Extension: Rumble K2 Builder digital synthesizer.

K2BuilderFront.jpg
K2BuilderFront.jpg (173.93 KiB) Viewed 2926 times

Introduction:
Rumble K 2 Builder is a digital wavetable synthesizer and is an emulation of an additive wavetable Kawai K1 digital synthesizer from 1985. This Rack Extension mimics the operation system and the naming conventions on a Kawai.
Included are 256 waveforms, 96 single and multi instrument patches from the Kawai K1 ROM pack A and 120 signature patches, made by 4 skilled sound designers.
This version of the Rumble K series comes with Sine, Saw and Square oscillators, a Shaper, an Amp Envelope section with DAHDSR controls, Vibrato, Auto Bend, Pitch Wheel, Low Pass Filter and Frequency panels, 7 effects devices and 7 modulation matrixes with in total 13 slots.

This device is for everyone who wants to:
  • Have a collection of the original instrument patches of the Kawai K1.
  • Transfer sounds from the Kawai K1 and build patches for use in Reason.
  • Have a lofi 8 bit character synthesizer as an addition and counterpart of synthesizers with very clean oscillators.
  • Make lofi sounds or instruments for use in genres like hip hop, but also wants to use emulations of classic sounds like the Roland TB 303 bass synthesizer, the raving Roland Alpha Juno Hoover instrument and the Roland JP 8000 trance Super Saw sound.
Rumble K2 Builder uses additive wavetable synthesis to generate sounds. The additive synthesis is based on a Wave oscillator using waveforms, just one of the in total 4 oscillators that can be introduced in the sound at various times, levels and durations. The other 3 oscillators are Sine, Saw and Square wave based oscillators and are mixed with the Wave oscillator. The Sine Oscillator features Amplitude Modulation (AM) and modulates the Wave oscillator.

Specifications:
  • Minimal requirements for the Rack Extension: Duo Core based computer with at least 2 GHz processor, 4 GB of RAM and Propellerhead Reason 7.1 or higher running on Windows or Mac OSX.
  • Type of device: Digital synthesizer.
  • Method of synthesis: Additive 8 bit wavetable synthesis combined with extra analogue style sine, saw / square wave oscillators and amplitude modulation.
  • Amount of oscillators: 4. Wave oscillator, Sine oscillator, Saw and Square oscillators.
Effects:
  • A Shaper on the oscillator’s output.
  • Bus 1: Lofi and Filter.
  • Bus 2: Delay, Rotary, Phaser and Chorus.
  • Bus 3: Reverb and Limiter.
  • Amount of modulation matrixes: 7 with in total 13 slots.
  • Sine oscillator modulation (1 slot).
  • Saw / Square oscillator modulation (2 slots).
  • Amp Envelope modulation (5 slots).
  • Auto Bend modulation (2 slots).
  • Filter modulation (1 slot).
  • Glide modulation (1 slot).
  • KS Curve 1 modulation (1 slot).
Rumble K2 Builder is available in the Prop Shop:

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... 2-builder/

Introduction sale price: Euro / Dollar 29.00. The offer ends on 14-03-2019. Regular Price: Euro / Dollar 39.00.

/Ed Gool
Oenlenstein Audio.
Last edited by Oenkenstein on 22 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

eusti

22 Feb 2019

Congrats, man!!! So happy for you! You really stuck with it!!! Nice one! :)

D.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

22 Feb 2019

eusti wrote:
22 Feb 2019
Congrats, man!!! So happy for you! You really stuck with it!!! Nice one! :)

D.
Yeah, the development took a whole year. Thank you so much for making and sharing sound designer patches. One of them is now set as default patch. Thumbs up!

eusti

22 Feb 2019

Oenkenstein wrote:
22 Feb 2019
Yeah, the development took a whole year. Thank you so much for making and sharing sound designer patches. One of them is now set as default patch. Thumbs up!
That is a first for me, thank you!
I'm glad I was able to help and I am honored that you feel a patch of mine brings out the best in your device! :)

D.

CephaloPod

22 Feb 2019

Very cool! Now someone make one for the Ensoniq SQ-80!
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

eusti

22 Feb 2019

SkuzzyEye was working on an ESQ synth RE a while back. Sure hope it will come to fruition at some point. :)

D.

ScuzzyEye

22 Feb 2019

eusti wrote:
22 Feb 2019
SkuzzyEye was working on an ESQ synth RE a while back. Sure hope it will come to fruition at some point. :)
This year! Promise.

eusti

22 Feb 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
22 Feb 2019
eusti wrote:
22 Feb 2019
This year! Promise.
Love it! :)

D.

eusti

22 Feb 2019

Back on topic: Of course I'm biased as I helped to beta test this synth and made patches for it, but I think it is fabulous.
Based on or maybe inspired by the Kawai K1 from the mid eigthies... One of the early affordable digital synths of that era...
To me the lofi sound offers a lot of character... Definitely test it out if this sounds interesting to you! :)

D.

Loque

22 Feb 2019

eusti wrote:
22 Feb 2019
Back on topic: Of course I'm biased as I helped to beta test this synth and made patches for it, but I think it is fabulous.
Based on or maybe inspired by the Kawai K1 from the mid eigthies... One of the early affordable digital synths of that era...
To me the lofi sound offer a lot of character... Definitely test it out if this sounds interesting to you! :)

D.
Agree. It sounds special. I guess the presets are going all over the last decades and have their character. Worth checking out.
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2019

Yeah, I was happily surprised that it did NOT sound like any of my other 6 or so monster synths. This one really can capture that 80/90's lofi vibe. Autobend, Shaper, Phaser/Bit red are very useful features.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

kinkujin

22 Feb 2019

Oh man, this looks swell and I just love the sound of the demo. Have wanted a K1r for awhile now ...

two shoes

22 Feb 2019

i dig the gui - especially the way you included a large modulation matrix on the back panel - i didn't know that was a thing till now. i'm off trial it now!

WongoTheSane

22 Feb 2019

Congrats, Oenkenstein, this look juicy and a very worthy big brother to K1 and K2 Player!

miscend

22 Feb 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
22 Feb 2019
eusti wrote:
22 Feb 2019
This year! Promise.
Have you had a look at SQ8L VST?

miscend

23 Feb 2019

The K1 was the my first synthesiser. I'm glad you added a filter.

How do you transfer sysex patches?

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

23 Feb 2019

miscend wrote:
23 Feb 2019
The K1 was the my first synthesiser. I'm glad you added a filter.

How do you transfer sysex patches?
I still have the Kawai K1, also my first synthesizer. It has some broken keys and that was the purpose of making the Rumble K serie. Now that the Rumble serie comes to a end, the Kawai finally can be opened and I am able to fix those keys and clean 30 years of dust and tobacco.

Sysex files cannot be converted directly with a MIDI dump.

Instead, you load a .sysex file into the Kawai K1 and then transfer each setting from a single instrument by hand to Rumble K2 Builder.
Although Rumble K2 Builder follows the naming convention of the original hardware, transferring patches by hand is a pretty cumbersome process.
You need to program 4 Rumble K2 Builders to rebuild a single instrument on the Kawai K1, and it takes about 20 minutes to transfer all the settings from the Kawai K1 to Rumble K2 Builder.

Once the single instruments are converted, it is very easy to build multi instruments with the Combinator.

A video is in the making, explaining how to transfer a single instrument patch from the Kawai K1 to Rumble K2 Builder. I will let you know when the video is finished, probably Monday, next week.

GregHPSon

23 Feb 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
eusti wrote:
22 Feb 2019
This year! Promise.
Yes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow me on Instagram/Facebook: Vic20

diminished
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

Bump. I'm having a hard time understanding the product line-up. Can "Rumble K1 Granular Synthesizer" do everything "Rumble K2 Player" does, plus added granular stuff? Or in other words, what's the best deal here?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

20 May 2019

diminished wrote:
20 May 2019
Bump. I'm having a hard time understanding the product line-up. Can "Rumble K1 Granular Synthesizer" do everything "Rumble K2 Player" does, plus added granular stuff? Or in other words, what's the best deal here?
Yes. Rumble K1 Granular synthesizer can do everything the Rumble K2 Player does. Rumble K2 Player, Rumble K2 Player Light and Rumble K2 Builder are all derived from the K1 flagship.

The main difference between Rumble K1 and the Rumble K2 serie, is the content. The K2 serie uses waveloops from the hardware Kawai K1 as oscillator source. Rumble K1 uses waveloops recorded in the field and uses wavesloops shared by the beta test community.

Other differences:
Rumble K1: Granular and wavetable combined. 4 Osc synth using the weirdest samples as sound source.
Rumble K2 Player: 4 Osc wavetable synth. Uses presets of 4 waves to emulate all the default instrument patches found on the Kawai K1 digital synthesizer from 1985.
Rumble K2 Player Light: Same as the Rumble K2 Player, but with less options to change the sound. It is more a Rompler for those who want to play the patches.
Rumble K2 Builder: 1 Osc wavetable synth. Contains all the basic waveforms found on the Kawai K1, to (re)build the instrument patches on the Kawai K1 and comes with an emulation of ROM Pack A.
Rumble K2 Builder also has proper scientific values (dB, Hz, ms) mentioned in the tooltips when using knobs, faders and displays. The previous Rumble versions work with a scale from -100 to 100. It also has an Delay added in the Amp envelope.

Download the Product Comparison Chart in PDF format: http://www.oenkenstein.nl/uploadmap/Pro ... nChart.pdf

In short: If you want a synthesizer with wierd sound sources. Go for the Rumble K1. If you want the lofi sounds of the eighties from a Kawai K1, go for the Rumble K2 Player and if you also want to construct or rebuild Kawai K1 patches then go for the Rumble K2 Builder.

You still have 9 days to try the different versions to make up your mind before the May Madness Sale ends.

diminished
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

Wait so the K1 does not use the "original" waveforms but otherwise has all the features and more.. I'm a little confused about that. So the K1 is not able to truthfully emulate the original hardware, although it's the flagship? Sorry for asking.
Oenkenstein wrote:
20 May 2019
You still have 9 days to try the different versions to make up your mind before the May Madness Sale ends.
Will do, thanks Oenken for answering :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

20 May 2019

diminished wrote:
20 May 2019
Wait so the K1 does not use the "original" waveforms but otherwise has all the features and more.. I'm a little confused about that. So the K1 is not able to truthfully emulate the original hardware, although it's the flagship? Sorry for asking.
Yes, correct. Rumble K1, although a flagship, just mimics the OS. The orginal waveloops are to short for granular synthesis and I had no clearance on the samples at that moment. So, the project ended with field recordings cut to waveloops.

When permission was given, the Rumble K2 serie was build. These devices contain the original waveloops and instruments patches from the Kawai K1 and mimics the OS.

I understand the confusion and should add information on the website.

diminished
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

Oenkenstein wrote:
20 May 2019
diminished wrote:
20 May 2019
Yes, correct. Rumble K1, although a flagship, just mimics the OS. The orginal waveloops are to short for granular synthesis and I had no clearance on the samples at that moment. So, the project ended with field recordings cut to waveloops.

When permission was given, the Rumble K2 serie was build. These devices contain the original waveloops and instruments patches from the Kawai K1 and mimics the OS.

I see! And I understand, too! :P You also answered my next question, the clearance thingy. That's great to hear! Do you see yourself updating K1 in the future with that K2 Player features since you've received permission or is the permission limited to the implementation in K2? I'd love to get K1 for these 6 bucks more no doubt, but my main use is retro sounds so that's kinda keeping me away from buying the "bigger" version.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

25 May 2019

diminished wrote:
20 May 2019
Oenkenstein wrote:
20 May 2019

I see! And I understand, too! :P You also answered my next question, the clearance thingy. That's great to hear! Do you see yourself updating K1 in the future with that K2 Player features since you've received permission or is the permission limited to the implementation in K2? I'd love to get K1 for these 6 bucks more no doubt, but my main use is retro sounds so that's kinda keeping me away from buying the "bigger" version.
The permission is not limited to the amount of devices created with the samples. Updates were planned for the Rumble K1, but after expanding the sample library Rumble K1, the loading time for Rumble K1 became too long.
As there are no bugs or crash reported since the release of the products from the Rumble K serie, the decision was made recently to make no further updates. I do not want to change a winning team. The focus now is on making new devices: Compact and small synthesizers, but also some IDT instruments.

For retro sounds, I advise the Rumble K2 Builder. RikkShow (Boombastix) made some great lofi signature patches. Loque used the Lofi FX as a kind of noise generator. Cool stuff!

• Information