Do you try before you buy?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

19 Feb 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
18 Feb 2019
I feel like the RE platform is at Least close to comparing to VST 2.4
I feel it's a bit of an apple and oranges comparison, since the VST SDK doesn't put any limitations on the functionality of the plugin itself. You can basically create a full application and have it implement the VST interface, case in point: Reaktor.

The only thing that the VST standard defines is how the plugin and the host interact with each other. Other than that it's basically the operating system that defines the limit.

In contrast, REs are thoroughly sandboxed, and the GUI as well as the data model are managed strictly by Reason -- Which also is what makes REs integrate so well with Reason, of course, and also makes them comparatively easy to develop.

scratchnsnifff

19 Feb 2019

buddard wrote:
19 Feb 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
18 Feb 2019
I feel like the RE platform is at Least close to comparing to VST 2.4
I feel it's a bit of an apple and oranges comparison, since the VST SDK doesn't put any limitations on the functionality of the plugin itself. You can basically create a full application and have it implement the VST interface, case in point: Reaktor.

The only thing that the VST standard defines is how the plugin and the host interact with each other. Other than that it's basically the operating system that defines the limit.

In contrast, REs are thoroughly sandboxed, and the GUI as well as the data model are managed strictly by Reason -- Which also is what makes REs integrate so well with Reason, of course, and also makes them comparatively easy to develop.
Interesting. Does this mean that one can already make a super synth by using a custom display? The limitation being the size of the synth it self? I don’t think it’s practical to have a sort of Daw within a daw like realtor. But I think having synths with a ton of internal options is more so what I hope for :) like in vps avenger you can have up to 9 or so added oscillators. Plus all the send and inset effect routing

I pretty much would like to see a super expanse mixed with avenger and the new KhS synth haha
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

19 Feb 2019

hurricane wrote:
19 Feb 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
18 Feb 2019
I feel like the RE platform is at Least close to comparing to VST 2.4.
Vst 2.4 happened THIRTEEN years ago. THIRTEEN!

While that might be something negative to some, I look at it differently

2.4 has the perfect feature set
If I can get a synth as powerful as serum in its entirety in the RE format that’s all I need

I know vst3 has some nifty features like having the DAW display the type of measurement of what’s being automated (LFO rates, filter frequency amounts, envelope timing etc) but the vst synths that we’re made in vst 2.4 is powerful enough for me. It would be cool to see RE grow past vst but I think catching up is a big enough task as it is
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2019

And now the reverse. Thought to myself last night that I’d finally try out PX7. Went to the shop and looked for the Try button and of course it wasn’t there any more. I’d tried it the same week it came out. I didn’t know so much about Reason back then and when there wasn’t so many REs I just downloaded them, pressed a couple of buttons and either liked them or didn’t. So now so many years on I reckon I could get to like PX7 but I’m not ready to shell out €99 just in case i dont. And there we are back to the big trial reset debate.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

22 Feb 2019

Just get that smallest subscription an retry all RE you ever wanted to retry.

sleep1979

07 Mar 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Feb 2019
Yeah those Aeon synths are pretty bad. The thing is, I feel so bad about buying them that every now & then I'll pull one out and make a big effort to get something useful out of it, just so I'll feel less ripped off. It usually works too, with enough processing and fx. Result is that my two least favourite REs actually get a fair bit of use, more than some of my favourite ones. Weird.
Why are they so bad fora few samples instruments like harp etc there ok i think

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
07 Mar 2019
dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Feb 2019
Yeah those Aeon synths are pretty bad. The thing is, I feel so bad about buying them that every now & then I'll pull one out and make a big effort to get something useful out of it, just so I'll feel less ripped off. It usually works too, with enough processing and fx. Result is that my two least favourite REs actually get a fair bit of use, more than some of my favourite ones. Weird.
Why are they so bad fora few samples instruments like harp etc there ok i think
Sleep. No criticism man but you’ve asked the same question in three threads I can see. I’ve posted a link in one of the other threads where you asked. Read that. Hope you get some answers :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

sleep1979

07 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
22 Feb 2019
And now the reverse. Thought to myself last night that I’d finally try out PX7. Went to the shop and looked for the Try button and of course it wasn’t there any more. I’d tried it the same week it came out. I didn’t know so much about Reason back then and when there wasn’t so many REs I just downloaded them, pressed a couple of buttons and either liked them or didn’t. So now so many years on I reckon I could get to like PX7 but I’m not ready to shell out €99 just in case i dont. And there we are back to the big trial reset debate.
Create a new props account with a new email download a trial of reason for 30 days and u can try all the synths out again alongside your current version .

Thats What i did to try out parsec and layers and project sam and realised i dont like the sound of all three, but antidote tried that out nice ,

ive plumped rent to own on predator ,

Also Two racks i kinda bought after watching youtube videos skrock solaris and aurora and thought they were ok but dont inspire me and i dont use them at all any more dont even download them .

but that aeon organic i find use for that little harp here tank drum there .
i bet people that score movies could get use out if it , but the cello patch is messed up bad
Last edited by sleep1979 on 07 Mar 2019, edited 5 times in total.

reddust

07 Mar 2019

I've trialed a couple of REs before buying, some also inside a subscription plan. I just got two or three REs that I would say weren't really worth buying without testing before, not because I don't like them but because I discovered too late that I already had those features inside Reason or some VST I already owned before buying.

What I do know is purchase them as rent-to-own, as you can also cancel a rent-to-own purchase so in that case it would be like renting the RE for a couple of months, but in case I really like the RE I can keep paying it until I own it and the amount payed costs to the whole sum, which is not the case when using a subscription, that money is gone.

• Information