Do you try before you buy?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

When REs first came I trialed a lot and mostly ended up buying them after about a day anyway.
Then, maybe the last 5 years I’ve just been reading and watching the videos and buying directly based on that. Bought a couple of stinkers...actually more than a couple.
When QNG was released I thought I’d try it first (had been a long time). Didn’t really like it and was glad I hadn’t spent €69. So now I’ve jumped into the shop and am trying stuff I’ve been curious about right, left and centre. Saved myself from buying a LOT of stuff I otherwise would have wasted money on.
So...how often do you try stuff first and when do you do insta-buys?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

I almot always try out REs before I buy, even if it's just 10-15 minutes.

There are a few occasions where I didn't try beforehand: Softube FET Compressor, Disperser, Crapre 2, Faturator. Might be something else too.
Out of these there's been both hit and miss for me. Disperser and Crapre 2 are among my absolute favorites. Softube FET Compressor and Faturator not so much. Pretty much never use them.

PhillipOrdonez

16 Feb 2019

Always, save a few exceptions. I do not buy that many REs anyway, only buy what I need or have a lack of that I definitely would see myself using a lot.

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

Yea I always do!

I don't have spare money to be throwing out on devices that I'm not going to get a lot of use from.

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Feb 2019
I almot always try out REs before I buy, even if it's just 10-15 minutes.

There are a few occasions where I didn't try beforehand: Softube FET Compressor, Disperser, Crapre 2, Faturator. Might be something else too.
Out of these there's been both hit and miss for me. Disperser and Crapre 2 are among my absolute favorites. Softube FET Compressor and Faturator not so much. Pretty much never use them.
Ahhh, thanks for reminding me about Crapre 2..

About to purchase that :)

xylyx

16 Feb 2019

Every time. As with some others, it might only be 30 mins of trying, at which point I decide whether it is worth spending more time with it or whether it is of no interest. The last one that didn't make it past the 30 min mark was Complex-1, not because it was bad but I just knew I wouldn't have the time to invest in really get the best out of it.

boingy

16 Feb 2019

It's only a small thing but I really dislike having to press the "log in" button whenever I start Reason with a trial RE so I tend not to try them or buy them any more. TBH now that we have VST the whole RE thing is somewhat less valuable to me. I love that REs are in the rack rather than in a floating window but I'd rather spend money on VSTs that I can use with other software rather than be tied to Reason, especially as PH seem to be focussing future development on the stuff I'm less interested in.

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

boingy wrote:
16 Feb 2019
It's only a small thing but I really dislike having to press the "log in" button whenever I start Reason with a trial RE so I tend not to try them or buy them any more. TBH now that we have VST the whole RE thing is somewhat less valuable to me. I love that REs are in the rack rather than in a floating window but I'd rather spend money on VSTs that I can use with other software rather than be tied to Reason, especially as PH seem to be focussing future development on the stuff I'm less interested in.
That's an interesting perspective.

Personally , I started using Reason for it's rack extension format and completely stopped use of my other DAW.

I tend to exclusively spend money only on RE just for the integration and to support the company. Though, I see where you're coming from if you use other DAW/software as well.

boingy

16 Feb 2019

aeox wrote:
16 Feb 2019
boingy wrote:
16 Feb 2019

Personally , I started using Reason for it's rack extension format and completely stopped use of my other DAW.

I tend to exclusively spend money only on RE just for the integration and to support the company. Though, I see where you're coming from if you use other DAW/software as well.
I'm getting off-topic but...

Don't get me wrong. I love Reason, it's just that the devs seem to be forging ahead with the shiny stuff and neglecting the basics. The midi and audio editing tools are decades behind other DAWs. I try to do most stuff in Reason but I always end up in Cakewalk for some things. It just feels like PH need to focus on that stuff before they make yet another synth or yet another piano (did anyone *really* need another piano???) I've been a real propellerhead since version 2 but I've skipped version 10. I hope for better with R11.

And let's not talk about the chaos that is the shop: trials, rewards, rent-to-buy, perpetual random price changes. The point of this somewhat unfocussed and, um, rantier-than-I-intended rant is that I'm not sure the Props know where they are going so I'm reluctant to tie myself to their platform any more than I already have.

I'll shut up now :)

Loque

16 Feb 2019

I should more often before i buy. But in most cases i had bought it nevertheless. But now since i have everything, there must be more to convince me like a good video, good sound, uniqueness, good looking and easy identifyable workflow, easy licenses, good and trustworthy vendor and finally good talking about it.
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

boingy wrote:
16 Feb 2019
aeox wrote:
16 Feb 2019

I'm getting off-topic but...

Don't get me wrong. I love Reason, it's just that the devs seem to be forging ahead with the shiny stuff and neglecting the basics. The midi and audio editing tools are decades behind other DAWs. I try to do most stuff in Reason but I always end up in Cakewalk for some things. It just feels like PH need to focus on that stuff before they make yet another synth or yet another piano (did anyone *really* need another piano???) I've been a real propellerhead since version 2 but I've skipped version 10. I hope for better with R11.

And let's not talk about the chaos that is the shop: trials, rewards, rent-to-buy, perpetual random price changes. The point of this somewhat unfocussed and, um, rantier-than-I-intended rant is that I'm not sure the Props know where they are going so I'm reluctant to tie myself to their platform any more than I already have.

I'll shut up now :)
I tend to agree with most of your opinions but I still find that I'm most productive making music in Reason :D

gullum

16 Feb 2019

Usually, if I try I don't buy, if I need to try a re it is because I have doubts and those doubts are usually confirmed when trailing,

Iapetus 9

16 Feb 2019

I "try" before I buy everything. That simply negates becoming one of those peeps who whine incessantly about selling off their RE's or regretting a purchase. I don't understand why peeps would instabuy without trying it out for a good fit. I knew I'd love Complex-1. Knew it. Still tried it out before I bought it to make sure.
38L > 51D every time.

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

Iapetus 9 wrote:
16 Feb 2019
I "try" before I buy everything. That simply negates becoming one of those peeps who whine incessantly about selling off their RE's or regretting a purchase. I don't understand why peeps would instabuy without trying it out for a good fit. I knew I'd love Complex-1. Knew it. Still tried it out before I bought it to make sure.
I completely agree.. if I trial something and find it very useful, why would I want to sell it?

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

In the beginning of REs I used to just buy them outright if they looked interesting and were reasonably priced (aka, CHEAP). Post-VST, I 100% try before I buy, which is why I haven't purchased any REs since VST. Wait, I think I bought that cassette RE without trying. That was a mistake cuz I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, and now I don't use it. I wanted this kind of device as a RE - still waiting for a good one. So now I'm going to try the next one that comes out (but the way the RE landscape looks right now I doubt that even happens). Until then, Reaktor's VHS Degredation Suite is all I need.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Reasonable man

16 Feb 2019

I dont actually. Complex was the first thing i trialled. For me this was a pain cause i knew i was going to to have to buy it and it it wasn't really going to be mine until i paid up.

I also own Vk-2, Expanse, Parsec, Fm4, Zero ,Alba-3 ,Noise Engineering, the legend (which i've yet to spend more than 5 mins on!) and vibro. There is no excuse for me not to produce good sound i feel with that these synths , where as 18 months ago i feel perhaps there wasan excuse as i only owned reason stock synths (malstrom subtractor and thor).

I desperatley need quality orchestra libaries and thought about trialling Project Sam but its not quite there i feel for what i need . I somehow feel Reason RE's will never compete with kontakt here which is a shame cause i just dont want to get into the money racket that is Kontakt but i feel that all the big major players/developers are tied up to it.

Jagwah

17 Feb 2019

I usually trial a RE and if i create some work with it that I want to save and keep then I simply can not live without it. Otherwise I will delete the save files containing it. This way all of my many save files are still ready to go. I only see cardboard replacement REs when opening someone else's work.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Feb 2019

Well, I just counted to see and out of 248 REs , many of which bought without trying, there’s only 4 I wish I’d tried before purchase as I really have no use for them (read don’t like. )
1. The Aeon bundle: I wonder how many folk insta-bought that one then complained. Was removed from the shop and I don’t think that’s ever been done before. I thought they were so bad that I actually requested Props take them off my account so I could avoid downloading them on Sync.
2. The two DNA Labs Romplers. I know I’ve said it a lot and I’m maybe giving the guy a hard time but nearly every preset sounds pretty much the same. Same goes for his Refills. He’s like releasing them faster than I eat crisps in a Friday night. I’ve got a load of them and I really wish I could undo both the RE and refill purchases. Again, my fault for not trying. That said, there’s probably folk out there who love ‘em.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

17 Feb 2019

Yeah those Aeon synths are pretty bad. The thing is, I feel so bad about buying them that every now & then I'll pull one out and make a big effort to get something useful out of it, just so I'll feel less ripped off. It usually works too, with enough processing and fx. Result is that my two least favourite REs actually get a fair bit of use, more than some of my favourite ones. Weird.

antic604

18 Feb 2019

I do try before buying, but it's usually just for few hours - typically I'll browse the presets, try to tweak them or throw the device in the middle of the project I happen to be working on to get the overall feel for usability of the device and decide right there whether I want it or not.

And I really wish we could decide - in our Prop accounts - what gets installed / updated, because if I decide I don't want to buy the trial, I'd love to delete it and not have it install it (and be asked for internet login) every time I sync my other devices. Same for freebies or REs I purchased but don't use...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2019

antic604 wrote:
18 Feb 2019

And I really wish we could decide - in our Prop accounts - what gets installed / updated, because if I decide I don't want to buy the trial, I'd love to delete it and not have it install it (and be asked for internet login) every time I sync my other devices. Same for freebies or REs I purchased but don't use...
Maybe some sort of check box. Select all then deselect those you don’t want to sync.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

18 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
18 Feb 2019
antic604 wrote:
18 Feb 2019

Maybe some sort of check box. Select all then deselect those you don’t want to sync.
Yeah, that would be sweet.

Karim
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2019

but if a RE is attractive (such as a nice semi-modular analog synth) what dark force should keep me from trying it.
I would find it a contradiction to buy it without even having tested it at least ONE TIME IN ALL LIFE.

But trying it out is something irrepressible and uncontrollable (as it was for Synapse Legend or Expanse).
Otherwise what sense then has the purchase ? (for my point of view ofcourse! ) :roll:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

scratchnsnifff

18 Feb 2019

I don’t. I like supporting this small community! I don’t get hung up on what I don’t use or don’t like. Because there are too many useful tools. Especially when it comes to the synths, I love seeing the modernization of the the SDK. I feel like the RE platform is at Least close to comparing to VST 2.4

Expanse in particular can mimic almost every feature that NI massive can handle. Although in the future I’d like to see RE get more ability with pages. So we could see synths that have many forms of synthesis and functionality via in synth menus.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
18 Feb 2019
I feel like the RE platform is at Least close to comparing to VST 2.4.
Vst 2.4 happened THIRTEEN years ago. THIRTEEN!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information