Which REs deserve to get more attention in your opinion?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Trefor

10 Feb 2019

JPS Harmonic Synthesiser. Great vintage sounds and effects processing.

m.arthur

10 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
10 Feb 2019

Glad you like it. Totally honestly though...I don’t. Selig’s B3-Leslie Refill however is pure magic. Giles really knows his Rotaries. Really worth trying if you get the chance. Plus a whole load of organs in there as well :).
I can't find a Selig B3 refill anywhere in the shop, do you have a link? Is it discontinued?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

m.arthur wrote:
10 Feb 2019
MrFigg wrote:
10 Feb 2019

Glad you like it. Totally honestly though...I don’t. Selig’s B3-Leslie Refill however is pure magic. Giles really knows his Rotaries. Really worth trying if you get the chance. Plus a whole load of organs in there as well :).
I can't find a Selig B3 refill anywhere in the shop, do you have a link? Is it discontinued?
http://www.seligaudio.com/products.html
There you go man :)
Scroll down.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

---
Last edited by diminished on 10 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

Edit: it's in that bar on the right at the bottom
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2019
?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
10 Feb 2019
diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2019
?
Never mind, it just took me 3 attempts to find the B3/Leslie :roll:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2019
MrFigg wrote:
10 Feb 2019

?
Ha ha. You found it now? It’s worth the 3 attempts :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
10 Feb 2019
diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2019

Ha ha. You found it now? It’s worth the 3 attempts :).
I believe so! I've got Revival and Rotor though, that's enough for my deep purplish needs once every decade, my sweet child in time :D

miscend

08 Jun 2020

Thanks to this thread I finally pulled out Fxpansion Tres after many years. Not the most versatile monosynth but its great for doing bass and 808 sounds. It really is a gem!

guitfnky

08 Jun 2020

finally got Rotor with R11, and I’m way more impressed with it than I expected to be. sounds nice. real nice.

gotta throw in with Khz Gain too—I use it everywhere. last device on a track so I can automate it instead of using the track fader. don’t need any more bells and whistles than a single knob. :)

ART—I know it’s sort of ubiquitous and probably does get a fair bit of use by many of us, but it’s really quite awesome in its simplicity. I really like trying this as a first step instead of just throwing on an EQ for something that sounds good, but just isn’t poking through the mix quite the way I want. toss it on the track, pick a style (usually just tape or VHS, for me), dial in the input gain if you want to push it a bit more, and move the transform knob around a bit—usually you can find a setting that helps the right frequencies pop out a little more. I’ll usually end up adding an EQ anyway, but ART gets me most of the way there, first, so I don’t have to think too much about it. and then there’s all the crazy stuff you can get out of it... 😬
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

08 Jun 2020

oh, and the Soundiron stuff. Humana, Pangea, and Klang. all excellent sounds, and super versatile. nothing beats the music box sounds in Klang, for interesting sparkly bits.

ab459

08 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
08 Jun 2020
oh, and the Soundiron stuff. Humana, Pangea, and Klang. all excellent sounds, and super versatile. nothing beats the music box sounds in Klang, for interesting sparkly bits.
Yes, i'm not a fan of sampled chromatic stuff, but these things very liked.

Yonatan

08 Jun 2020

ID8 - it is a workhorse but so light to work with. Together with players and some sound design, one can come a long way with that one alone.

taddx

08 Jun 2020

Echobode for me. As insert, send, for heavy mangling or subtle modulation. Love the thing..

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2020

m.arthur wrote:
10 Feb 2019
propellerhead's own ROTOR RE is, no joke, the best sounding and easiest to use rotary speaker emulation I've used, and I've tried all kinds of VSTs of this type of effect. I tend to be very disappointed by them. Not ROTOR though, I can get creamy smooth vibe-filled rotary sounds just dropping it in. And, -crucially-, the distortion / overdrive sounds really great and is very 'playable', so to speak.
Sounds good - too good - no rotary I've ever used has that sound (too much top end).
Again, it DOES sound great, just not much at all like a real rotary speaker IMO, and I've used quite a few over the years (still one of my favorite speakers to run various audio signals through). Kind of like using a guitar amp sim without a speaker sim…just too bright!

Like a guitar amp, a rotary speaker doesn't really have much energy above 4-5 kHz - it's a pretty steep drop off. I even mentioned this to the Props during testing of Rotary, and they made a minor adjustment - an option for a better speaker emulation would have been nice.
Selig Audio, LLC

sdst
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2020

the combinator, instead of doing all those players that I never use

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
08 Jun 2020
m.arthur wrote:
10 Feb 2019
propellerhead's own ROTOR RE is, no joke, the best sounding and easiest to use rotary speaker emulation I've used, and I've tried all kinds of VSTs of this type of effect. I tend to be very disappointed by them. Not ROTOR though, I can get creamy smooth vibe-filled rotary sounds just dropping it in. And, -crucially-, the distortion / overdrive sounds really great and is very 'playable', so to speak.
Sounds good - too good - no rotary I've ever used has that sound (too much top end).
Again, it DOES sound great, just not much at all like a real rotary speaker IMO, and I've used quite a few over the years (still one of my favorite speakers to run various audio signals through). Kind of like using a guitar amp sim without a speaker sim…just too bright!

Like a guitar amp, a rotary speaker doesn't really have much energy above 4-5 kHz - it's a pretty steep drop off. I even mentioned this to the Props during testing of Rotary, and they made a minor adjustment - an option for a better speaker emulation would have been nice.
The RE is fine for a polished pop "rotor" sound but if you want a VST that sounds like a real wooden box then try IK Multimedia, very authentic and several models built in.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MannequinRaces

08 Jun 2020

Distillery. If you want to glitch and stutter easily this is the one for you.

dvdrtldg

09 Jun 2020

Trefor wrote:
10 Feb 2019
JPS Harmonic Synthesiser. Great vintage sounds and effects processing.
Yes! So good. And super versatile & fun to tweak

Jackjackdaw

09 Jun 2020

I swear by the Kuassa EVE eq's. They make everything sound better. I bought the bundle but use the simplest 3 band the most. You could complain about the stepped frequency bands but my ears are not complaining.

guitfnky

09 Jun 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 Jun 2020
I swear by the Kuassa EVE eq's. They make everything sound better. I bought the bundle but use the simplest 3 band the most. You could complain about the stepped frequency bands but my ears are not complaining.
I love those things. I use the 4-band most often, and honestly, I love the stepped frequencies—it keeps me from overthinking things too much. I don’t have the Pultec emulation, but only because I already have a Native Instruments emulation—but I’ve been wanting to get the Kuassa one anyway just to complete the set. 😆

selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 Jun 2020
If a design can survive for almost 70 years, it's probably a good design! I don't believe there are any other 70 year old audio designs as popular and useful today as any point in the past.
As for the stepped frequencies, when the boost/cut is so wide you don't need as fine a frequency resolution.
The first time I realized how powerful these EQs were was when I first visited Power Station (Avatar) studios in NYC in 1984 - they had commissioned 24 Pultecs for each of their three rooms, one Pultec for every tape track. They had 72 Pultecs total in the studio, and while the company had stopped producing this model they were more than happy to re-tool for an order of 72!
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

09 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
09 Jun 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 Jun 2020
If a design can survive for almost 70 years, it's probably a good design! I don't believe there are any other 70 year old audio designs as popular and useful today as any point in the past.
As for the stepped frequencies, when the boost/cut is so wide you don't need as fine a frequency resolution.
The first time I realized how powerful these EQs were was when I first visited Power Station (Avatar) studios in NYC in 1984 - they had commissioned 24 Pultecs for each of their three rooms, one Pultec for every tape track. They had 72 Pultecs total in the studio, and while the company had stopped producing this model they were more than happy to re-tool for an order of 72!
maybe the hardware ones they sell now aren’t quite the same, but...that’s just shy of $290,000 worth of Pultec EQs if they were to be bought today. 😳

bieh

09 Jun 2020

I reckon these are underrated:

Mesher
CV Mutant
CV Suite Vectorizer
PlayGate
Volt SL-1
Stereo Splitter

• Information