NoteRepeat Player in Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zoidkirb

06 Feb 2019

for $9 this is an insta-buy for me. propellerhead's drum sequencer works really well as a gate generator for each of noterepeat's 8 pattern slots, as you can set up a lane in drum sequencer for each noterepeat pattern slot, and take advantage of drum sequencers features like probability, velocity, repeats, slide, length etc etc.
as others have said, being limited to the mouse (or automations) is a little limiting. personally i'd really like to be able to use a grid based controller like a launchpad to play this thing, it just seems so obvious!

-edit - one feature i'd like or maybe im doing this wrong, but when editing the x-axis automation points the sequencer, i'd like value to display 1 to 8, rather than the generic 1 to 100.

ab459

06 Feb 2019

I still not really understand how it can be used (sorry newbie here)

Tried trial, so, all what i was able to get this is fast-repeating note of the same key, with different speed of repeating depending on the position of the mouse cursor on the field.
Also tried to connect matrix seq with some playing patterns to back panel - didn't understand anyway. Sorry for lazy ass - did not studied into the user manual yet. But just usually was enough simple knobs turning.

Some video tutor with examples would be really helpful.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2019

ab459 wrote: ↑
06 Feb 2019

Some video tutor with examples would be really helpful.
I think the same could be said of all Retouch Control’s REs.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

jam-s

06 Feb 2019

Would be great to have the built-in patterns also depicted on the back of the device and not only in the manual.

zoidkirb

06 Feb 2019

ab459 wrote: ↑
06 Feb 2019
I still not really understand how it can be used (sorry newbie here)

Tried trial, so, all what i was able to get this is fast-repeating note of the same key, with different speed of repeating depending on the position of the mouse cursor on the field.
Also tried to connect matrix seq with some playing patterns to back panel - didn't understand anyway.
Alt-click on the grid and select external pattern in. Really you should read the manual though...it's seriously only about 1 full page worth of text to get through!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

Yeah...I'm not really getting how this is any good either. I really want to like it but the last half hour with it haven't produced anything I couldn't do before. Maybe it's just me not understanding it's potential. At the very least I need something to convince me.

Edit: 10 minutes more of putting it through a synth with drum sequencer and I'm getting some quite cool results. This may be a stupid question but Send Notes to track just lays down the Drum Sequencer notes in the sequencer and I need to Direct Record all the grid note repeats in real time right?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

zoidkirb

07 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote: ↑
07 Feb 2019
I need to Direct Record all the grid note repeats in real time right?
Yes, or you can draw in your notes as automation, it sets up 3 lanes for that: note on, x axis, y axis.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

zoidkirb wrote: ↑
07 Feb 2019
07 Feb 2019
I need to Direct Record all the grid note repeats in real time right?
Yes, or you can draw in your notes as automation, it sets up 3 lanes for that: note on, x axis, y axis.
Howdyou automate the grid? Not really sure what you mean. Sorry.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

zoidkirb

07 Feb 2019

07 Feb 2019
07 Feb 2019

I'm not at computer now but it's either right click, edit automation...or it's right click and choose create track for device? Something like that anyway

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

07 Feb 2019
07 Feb 2019

I'm not at computer now but it's either right click, edit automation...or it's right click and choose create track for device? Something like that anyway
Must be create track β€˜cos edit automation doesn’t work in the pad. Not at a computer either :). Thanks :).
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Ok...now I get it. Cool :) Like it.

Edit: Bought :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

demt

08 Feb 2019

no joy 4 me
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Nah...confused again. When editing automation in-line...if I draw in which step on the x-axis I want to trigger, are the value increments (when drawing in) like 100 divided by 6? That is to say...step 1=16.6, step2=33, step 4=50 (roughly speaking) etc...
Hope you understand what I mean and can help.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

zoidkirb

08 Feb 2019

08 Feb 2019
Nah...confused again. When editing automation in-line...if I draw in which step on the x-axis I want to trigger, are the value increments (when drawing in) like 100 divided by 6? That is to say...step 1=16.6, step2=33, step 4=50 (roughly speaking) etc...
That's one of the things I dislike: values of 1-100 is kinda irrelevant , I wish it just gave slot numbers 1-8 instead. My work around is have the rack and sequencer in split view so as I draw my automations I can see the dot moving on the grid.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

08 Feb 2019
08 Feb 2019
That's one of the things I dislike: values of 1-100 is kinda irrelevant , I wish it just gave slot numbers 1-8 instead. My work around is have the rack and sequencer in split view so as I draw my automations I can see the dot moving on the grid.
Yeah...but you don't see the dot moving around the grid as you draw in...or? I don't in any case.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

BosseBo

01 Mar 2019

I really don't get it. I like the way it treats the sound. But i wan't to be able to record midi notes and use those notes for treatment of the X/Y pad. Just as want to be able to record the X/Y parameters with the pad for automation purpose and send notes to track. Then it would be really useful for me. But it seems to be impossible. I've read the manual about a hundred times.

In my view players are supposed to simplify things not the other way around. Am I missing something here? Then what?

It's a great idea for creating rhythm tracks. But the way it works it's nothing more than an idea.

/Bosse
In hope for a better release

Wobbleburger

01 Mar 2019

BosseBo wrote: ↑
01 Mar 2019
I really don't get it. I like the way it treats the sound. But i wan't to be able to record midi notes and use those notes for treatment of the X/Y pad. Just as want to be able to record the X/Y parameters with the pad for automation purpose and send notes to track. Then it would be really useful for me. But it seems to be impossible. I've read the manual about a hundred times.

In my view players are supposed to simplify things not the other way around. Am I missing something here? Then what?

It's a great idea for creating rhythm tracks. But the way it works it's nothing more than an idea.

/Bosse
I'm with you... I wanted to automate and I couldn't. Seems like it would be simple so maybe I'm missing something too
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2019

Wobbleburger wrote: ↑
01 Mar 2019
01 Mar 2019

/Bosse
I'm with you... I wanted to automate and I couldn't. Seems like it would be simple so maybe I'm missing something too
You need to start recording and then move the dot around in the grid. That creates 3 automation lanes. That said it’s still not easy to draw in the automation so it works as you want it. See comments above.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Wobbleburger

01 Mar 2019

01 Mar 2019
Wobbleburger wrote: ↑
01 Mar 2019

You need to start recording and then move the dot around in the grid. That creates 3 automation lanes. That said it’s still not easy to draw in the automation so it works as you want it. See comments above.
Thanks! I'll try that. I guess I'm spoiled by the automation lanes of More Cowbell VST.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

RetouchControl
RE Developer

29 Mar 2019

jam-s wrote: ↑
06 Feb 2019
Would be great to have the built-in patterns also depicted on the back of the device and not only in the manual.
Version 1.1.0 has that now!

RetouchControl
RE Developer

29 Mar 2019

01 Mar 2019
If you create a track for NoteRepeat, then you can record the XY movements and use the "Send Notes to Track" function. Have you done that?

Follow these steps:
1. Select NoteRepeat, then right click on it and choose "Create Track for NoteRepeat". By default, automation recording is enabled on this track. If it's not enabled, then enable it
2. press the record button in Reason, then move the XY cursor to produce the sound you want. As you move the XY, you should see that three lanes are recorded in the sequencer on the NoteRepeat track, one for the X, one for the Y position and one for Repeat On
3. Set the loop markers around the region you have just recorded, go to NoteRepeat and click on "Send Notes to track". Voila', your automation now becomes notes on the sequencer track of the device attached to NoteRepeat. You can edit them just like any other MIDI clip.
Last edited by RetouchControl on 29 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

29 Mar 2019

Boombastix wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2019
Yeah, would make sense if you press a keyboard key and trigger 1/32, 1/16T whatever lane/repeats, and not having to use the mouse. Your know MPC or Machine style.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
With NoteRepeat 1.1.0, you have now the option to trigger the repeat lanes with MIDI notes instead of using the XY pad with the mouse. If Midi mode is enabled, note C1 triggers lane1, note C#1 triggers lane2 and so on. The velocity of the triggering MIDI note determines the velocity of the repeats. If you want to override that, you can record or draw aftertouch automation on the NoteRepeat track. When you have aftertouch automation, the repeats will use that for the velocity.

craven

29 Mar 2019

RetouchControl wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2019

With NoteRepeat 1.1.0, you have now the option to trigger the repeat lanes with MIDI notes instead of using the XY pad with the mouse. If Midi mode is enabled, note C1 triggers lane1, note C#1 triggers lane2 and so on. The velocity of the triggering MIDI note determines the velocity of the repeats. If you want to override that, you can record or draw aftertouch automation on the NoteRepeat track. When you have aftertouch automation, the repeats will use that for the velocity.
that's a great addition, thanks a lot!
:ugeek:

zoidkirb

29 Mar 2019

Thank you RetouchControl! These new features really help fulfill the potential of this player. If I may make a request, would it be possible to have a CV input on the rear to set what the the output note is? I know i can automate this from the sequencer but with having all of these fancy Players available it's quite nice to be able to keep the creativity solely inside the rack.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

29 Mar 2019

29 Mar 2019
Thank you RetouchControl! These new features really help fulfill the potential of this player. If I may make a request, would it be possible to have a CV input on the rear to set what the the output note is? I know i can automate this from the sequencer but with having all of these fancy Players available it's quite nice to be able to keep the creativity solely inside the rack.
Thanks for the suggestion. In the meantime, you can always put NoteRepeat in a combinator and assign the Output Note to one of the rotaries or CV inputs on the combinator itself. There you can also decide the note range. Quite handy ;)

• Information