Recommend me Amp/Distortion for convincing power chords

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Heigen5

27 Jan 2019

Hello, I'm looking either a Re or VST amp/distortion that can do convincing power chords for Rock/heavy kind of music. My last song that I did, used Scream4 - as Line6 isn't an option in Reason 10 anymore. And to me the Softube one doesn't sound that convincing. Recommend me something that does the power chords well please!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2019

I've used Kuassas Creme amp when I've wanted heavier tones. But the sound is more metal that rock I would say.

Here's a song where I've used synths played through the amp. It doesn't sound exactly like guitars but it definitely catches the same aggression. It's so weird, I'm originally a guitarist (playing mostly electric) but whenever I want guitar like sounds in my music now I use synths played through amp plugins instead. Weird how that works. It's like I'm so used to doing everything in my computer now that I don't even think about picking up my guitar.

Also my "Nighmare 1" song that you heard recently also used the same method. Synth played through the Creme amp.

Heigen5

27 Jan 2019

Tritone, these both sound great! I could demo out and see if this Kuassa can do a sound I'm after.

My own patch that I created is this: www.reflexion-x.com/downloads/TZ%20Heavy-Gee.cmb
This patch has many amp-settings, actually the amp-modes come from a RV7000 reverb. There's 3 layers that do this sound.

I'm looking something similar soundwise.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2019

One thing to look out for if you want a more alive sounding guitar vibe is to not have the attack sounding exactly the same all the time.
For example, I don't know if you're familiar with FM4. But there is an option to set it to sync, free or random. When it's set to sync it just sounds very static when the notes starts off exactly the same every time. The other options have slight variations to them that makes a huge differrence in my opinion. I think some other synths also have these kind of options. Expanse if I remember correctly.

gullum

27 Jan 2019

Kuassa Caliburn is my all time favorite now for anything guitar
this one has Caliburn on all guitars even the ukulele and Banjo are played through a Cliburn, the bass is also the Kuassa bass amp

all my other songs on that chanal are some variation of Kuassa amps

Nirude

28 Jan 2019

I wanted to reply to this :D I dont know how to play the guitar nor dont know anything about these amps but this came out quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj6vPy5xtcQ
Attachments
twisted guitar 2016.JPG
twisted guitar 2016.JPG (228.14 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
3d man.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2019

Absolutely. Can’t fault Kuassa. (Apart from the fact that they still haven’t given any indication that they’re fixing the bug in their amps. ) I still use their stuff in all guitar related activities anyway.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

gullum

28 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Jan 2019
Absolutely. Can’t fault Kuassa. (Apart from the fact that they still haven’t given any indication that they’re fixing the bug in their amps. ) I still use their stuff in all guitar related activities anyway.
what bug are you referring to? I reported a 2 bugs and they were fixed within a week

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2019

gullum wrote:
28 Jan 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Jan 2019
what bug are you referring to? I reported a 2 bugs and they were fixed within a week
This: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7510002
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravisoni

29 Jan 2019

Nirude wrote:
28 Jan 2019
I wanted to reply to this :D I dont know how to play the guitar nor dont know anything about these amps but this came out quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj6vPy5xtcQ
Damn this is fantastic!
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

guitfnky

29 Jan 2019

are you playing them on a guitar? if so, you can use any half-decent guitar amp sim (yes, even the Softube ones you suggested weren’t sounding great for you will work). the thing about a lot of amp sims is they’re made to be tweaked to taste. some require a little tweaking to sound good (Kuassa, Bias’ VSTs), and others might take a little more tweaking to get what you’re looking for (also Kuassa, Softube).

but more importantly, the key to “convincing” anything is in the performance. if the playing is lifeless, it’s not going to matter what amp sim you use.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information