CustomVibe [multimode vibrato] RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

24 Jan 2019

CustomVibe now in the Propellerheads Shop:

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... to-effect/

CUSTOM VIBE is a modern variation of a classical organ and guitar effect, and one of the most unique effects ever created. The original Uni-Vibe (TM) pedal was designed in 1968 by a Japanese company. The main idea was to recreate the Doppler effect, or the sound of a rotating speaker, but the result turned out to be a different sound.
The circuit used was a pre-phaser that the industry created later on, which was based on photo-cells. Later, many companies built their own versions of the Uni-Vibe (TM) effect based on phasers, delays, and choruses modulations in various proportions and sizes. Later the industry created additional deeper Phaser effects. In classical Uni-Vibe (TM) effect it’s not really a chorus though – modern chorus pedals use delays to create what we now call a chorus sound, its more Vibrato sound.
We present here a new effect to Reason Rack Extension called CustomVibe. We are not just emulating the original pedal, but we try to add some modern variations of modulations to create a more interesting and modern effect.
Absolutely flexible and effective FX nowadays

Product details
CustomVibe includes known Chorus/Vibe modes, while adding some additional modulation variants to the device:
- Delay modulation
- Voice Pitch-Layered modulation
- Phase-shift modulation
- some Hybrid variants of this modulations
The device also includes Custom Wave modulation. This is a 12-step matrix for drawing your own waveforms of Vibe modulation.

The CustomVibe rack extension includes:
- Chorus and Vibrato effects
- Vibrato, including 8 modes (Vibe, Modulation, CopyMod, TriMod, JetMod, DopplerMod, FlatMod and Custom Wave)
- one of modes is a 12 step Custom Wave mode
- WIDENING control of the stereo signal
- WOBBLE OSCILLATE, which adds some "Wobble" colours to the Vibe effect
- 60+ patches included

Parameters
SPEED - Adjust Vibrato speed
INTENSITY - Adjust intensity of the vibrato effect
WIDENING - Stereo widening for the incoming signal
CHOR / VIBRATO - Select active effect type: Chorus or Vibrato
The original Uni-Vibe Chorus effect is a fragmented solution, later known as mutated to Phaser effect. It’s not the same. If you select Vibrato, you also select Vibrato types.
CHORUS MIX - Mix level for Chorus (active only for Chorus type)
VIBRATO TYPE - 8 Vibrato types
CUSTOM WAVE - Draw custom Vibe waveform with 12 steps if Vibrato Custom Wave mode is selected
AMOUNT - Dry/Wet proportion for incoming / processed signal
GAIN - Amp Gain level up to +12dB
SOFT BYPASS - Soft bypass variant

CV INPUTS - Use these CV inputs to control the main parameters with external CV source curves

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2019

I got this RE for free (won it in a quiz the other day) but I can wholeheartedly recommend it.
You can do both crazy and subtle yet exiciting things with it. I don't even know how to describe the sound!

Typical usage case is probably on guitars, but I love it on synths which lack a little "something".
Maybe you've found yourself in the past randomly adding effects to sounds to make them feel more alive - this is the thing you're looking for! "Aliveness" for sounds.
Preset KardioSplits is suited for chorusy synths that lack a little crunch and shimmer, and JetMod (with more wideness and less intensity) for that extra stereo panorama fun. The preset Vibe makes plucks etc sit well in the mix. These are the more subtle and soft presets.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Loque

24 Jan 2019

How can i use an external envelope to introduce the effekt delayed?

Just a typical DADSR controlling the fx. I tried to use the Intense CV In, but this response pretty weird to the envelope CV signal by just dropping for a short time the Intense and imediately increasing it back without considering the settings of the envelope at all. I can try to route the envelope via a Combinator to the dry/wet but i expect CVs are for exactly those use cases.

And what exactly is the custome wave form sliders controlling?
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

24 Jan 2019

I hate to be that guy, but in the first screenshot, the patch name is 'FlashStobe'...given the purpose of the RE, I can only assume it should be 'FlashStrobe'.

it's sort of a silly sticking point for me, but it's a real turnoff (no pun intended) when a professional product has bad spelling, whether due to poor localization, or just a lack of engaging someone to do review the copy/text on the device. it's hard for me to take seriously, even if what's being sold is a great product, otherwise.

not saying this to be critical (I always welcome new devices in the shop, and it sounds like this one might be really interesting). just passing along some hopefully-constructive feedback. :)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2019

I wrote asking if it would be possible to have linear drawing of the Custom Vibe and it seems to be something he’s already thought about for a future update. I personally felt it was a bit awkward clicking on each individual slider.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

turn2on
RE Developer

24 Jan 2019

guitfnky wrote:
24 Jan 2019
I can only assume it should be 'FlashStrobe'.
Thank to find this error. Sorry but it been checked many times by around 12 users. You first who find it. We certainly fix it, good that is not device problem, just patch name. Its been fixed at shop page soon as possible, at near update it also be fixed in device patch list.

I can remind you also one very-very OLD text bug in Reason native device:
weel.jpg
weel.jpg (294.26 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
Just say me - how much Prop team members, testers, and also Reason users in this years look at this and not find a problem? :puf_bigsmile:
I think you understand what I can say, just its a real small details that devs and users in work not find. You are first who find CustomVibe text bug. Thank You ;)

Loque, I test now Speed and Intensity with Matrix Curve. Speed and Int work nice with various incoming curves. You can create own curve and please check it with Matrix.
If you ask about delay for effect, so architecture of this RE is 8 modes, where Speed / Ints for each mode is internal LFO-activity elements with various waveforms (sine, square, etc). In another words you ask about how to delay this looped LFO form?

With what device you try to create DADSR as CV In to Intense? Need to understand how to check you answer.
For Dry/Wet control you can use Amount CV In (but with Speed / Ints activity it can add some additional modulation effect).

CustomWave is additional 12-steps faders, that create own LFO loop modulation of Vibe hidden parameter that you can't use with external CV in, device now not have it. May be I need to make some tests. May be its can be interesting to create additional CV input for it. But it can work only with CustomWave mode and few additional modes (not all 8 modes!)

Now - just draw any forms (or open patches from CustomWave folder) and listen how Vibe is changed. This faders works only if you select mode: CustomWave.

Idea to customise going out form Korg Nuvibe

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2019

turn2on wrote:
24 Jan 2019

Now - just draw any forms (or open patches from CustomWave folder) and listen how Vibe is changed. This faders works only if you select mode: CustomWave.

Idea to customise going out form Korg Nuvibe
Aaaaaa. Sorry. I think I may have misunderstood what you wrote in your PM to me earlier.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

24 Jan 2019

turn2on wrote:
24 Jan 2019
Sorry, i cannot here any change in intensity. Here is an example patch.
Attachments
sorrynochangeinintense.zip
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Reason12, Win10

turn2on
RE Developer

24 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
24 Jan 2019
turn2on wrote:
24 Jan 2019
There no problem :puf_smile:
If you use CV input to Knob, that already Maximized you cant listen changes.
Minimize or set any position (not Max) for Intensity. So try to set as Int = 0% in your attached example, and you already listen changes in 100% as you send. If you change percent of knob, you change amount of Cv in for this knob.

So, in your example you can just test it with connecting CV out of Matrix to FIlter Freq of SubTractor. With Freq = Max - no listened changes. If you minimise it, you listen changes.

Loque

24 Jan 2019

turn2on wrote:
24 Jan 2019
Loque wrote:
24 Jan 2019

There no problem :puf_smile:
If you use CV input to Knob, that already Maximized you cant listen changes.
Minimize or set any position (not Max) for Intensity. So try to set as Int = 0% in your attached example, and you already listen changes in 100% as you send. If you change percent of knob, you change amount of Cv in for this knob.

So, in your example you can just test it with connecting CV out of Matrix to FIlter Freq of SubTractor. With Freq = Max - no listened changes. If you minimise it, you listen changes.
Ok, i got it. Thanks.

The CV In is only unipolar? Does a bipolar work?
Reason12, Win10

turn2on
RE Developer

24 Jan 2019

Bipolar work same as Unipolar, you also need to set knob to 0% to listen changes.
But with Bipolar you going not as 0-127, as 0+/-127 (or may be as +/-64 in sum 127, cant say now correct)

Loque

24 Jan 2019

turn2on wrote:
24 Jan 2019
Bipolar work same as Unipolar, you also need to set knob to 0% to listen changes.
But with Bipolar you going not as 0-127, as 0+/-127 (or may be as +/-64 in sum 127, cant say now correct)
MAybe i am just a bit slow today...i tried it, set the Intense knob to center, switch matrix to bipolar and i could not hear any change. I had expected no-intense or full-intense. Well, maybe i am really slow today :?
Reason12, Win10

turn2on
RE Developer

24 Jan 2019

matrx.png
matrx.png (330.91 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
Please look on picture. Its your example in Bipolar mode. You set Int to 50% and not listen changes.. because you have in Matrix positions of CV out as -127/+127/-127. In fact you have all this time when CV curve play - only Max size (127). Not have 0 or something another than 127. And all this time CV=127 save Int=100% without any changes.
Bipolar have 0 at mid. To have changes you need change curve out form +/- 127.

guitfnky

24 Jan 2019

turn2on wrote:
24 Jan 2019
guitfnky wrote:
24 Jan 2019
I can only assume it should be 'FlashStrobe'.
Thank to find this error. Sorry but it been checked many times by around 12 users. You first who find it. We certainly fix it, good that is not device problem, just patch name. Its been fixed at shop page soon as possible, at near update it also be fixed in device patch list.

I can remind you also one very-very OLD text bug in Reason native device:
weel.jpg
Just say me - how much Prop team members, testers, and also Reason users in this years look at this and not find a problem? :puf_bigsmile:
I think you understand what I can say, just its a real small details that devs and users in work not find. You are first who find CustomVibe text bug. Thank You ;)
I knew there had to be a reason I never used the RPG8! :lol:
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

24 Jan 2019

turn2on wrote:
24 Jan 2019
matrx.png

Please look on picture. Its your example in Bipolar mode. You set Int to 50% and not listen changes.. because you have in Matrix positions of CV out as -127/+127/-127. In fact you have all this time when CV curve play - only Max size (127). Not have 0 or something another than 127. And all this time CV=127 save Int=100% without any changes.
Bipolar have 0 at mid. To have changes you need change curve out form +/- 127.
Well, maybe i just dont get it. The CV in is unipolar only and accepts negative numbers as absolut values, thats ok

If it would accept bipolar values, i could lower the defined value of the knob with the CV. That means, if i set the knob to center where the overall range is 0...1 it has 0.5. WIth a bipolar value of -0.5 it would become 0 and with +0.5 it would become 1. So in fact the CV ins use the absoute values, thats ok. This seem to be a bit unusual, but i am not fully aware how the CV ins detect the difference between uni/bipolar and which handling is common. Now i know which values and range i need to use for the CV ins.
Reason12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

26 Jan 2019

I am trying Hendrix like Univibe chorus settings. Can't really get to that, it has many interesting vibrato settings though, but several chorus settings would also be great. Or am I missing something for that ultimate univibe tone?

BRIGGS

26 Jan 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Jan 2019
I am trying Hendrix like Univibe chorus settings. Can't really get to that, it has many interesting vibrato settings though, but several chorus settings would also be great. Or am I missing something for that ultimate univibe tone?
Could be, the lack of a digitally modeled light bulb.

see: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7510040&p=422597#p422597
r11s

BRIGGS

26 Jan 2019

turn2on wrote:
24 Jan 2019
CustomVibe now in the Propellerheads Shop:

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... to-effect/

CUSTOM VIBE is a modern variation of a classical organ and guitar effect, and one of the most unique effects ever created. The original Uni-Vibe (TM) pedal was designed in 1968 by a Japanese company. The main idea was to recreate the Doppler effect, or the sound of a rotating speaker, but the result turned out to be a different sound.
The circuit used was a pre-phaser that the industry created later on, which was based on photo-cells. Later, many companies built their own versions of the Uni-Vibe (TM) effect based on phasers, delays, and choruses modulations in various proportions and sizes. Later the industry created additional deeper Phaser effects. In classical Uni-Vibe (TM) effect it’s not really a chorus though – modern chorus pedals use delays to create what we now call a chorus sound, its more Vibrato sound.
We present here a new effect to Reason Rack Extension called CustomVibe. We are not just emulating the original pedal, but we try to add some modern variations of modulations to create a more interesting and modern effect.
Absolutely flexible and effective FX nowadays

Product details
CustomVibe includes known Chorus/Vibe modes, while adding some additional modulation variants to the device:
- Delay modulation
- Voice Pitch-Layered modulation
- Phase-shift modulation
- some Hybrid variants of this modulations
The device also includes Custom Wave modulation. This is a 12-step matrix for drawing your own waveforms of Vibe modulation.

The CustomVibe rack extension includes:
- Chorus and Vibrato effects
- Vibrato, including 8 modes (Vibe, Modulation, CopyMod, TriMod, JetMod, DopplerMod, FlatMod and Custom Wave)
- one of modes is a 12 step Custom Wave mode
- WIDENING control of the stereo signal
- WOBBLE OSCILLATE, which adds some "Wobble" colours to the Vibe effect
- 60+ patches included

Parameters
SPEED - Adjust Vibrato speed
INTENSITY - Adjust intensity of the vibrato effect
WIDENING - Stereo widening for the incoming signal
CHOR / VIBRATO - Select active effect type: Chorus or Vibrato
The original Uni-Vibe Chorus effect is a fragmented solution, later known as mutated to Phaser effect. It’s not the same. If you select Vibrato, you also select Vibrato types.
CHORUS MIX - Mix level for Chorus (active only for Chorus type)
VIBRATO TYPE - 8 Vibrato types
CUSTOM WAVE - Draw custom Vibe waveform with 12 steps if Vibrato Custom Wave mode is selected
AMOUNT - Dry/Wet proportion for incoming / processed signal
GAIN - Amp Gain level up to +12dB
SOFT BYPASS - Soft bypass variant

CV INPUTS - Use these CV inputs to control the main parameters with external CV source curves

The GUI is fantastic!
r11s

motuscott

26 Jan 2019

Wow, the electric guitar rabbit hole is deep. Makes me glad I’m primarily a guy what hits hollowed out cylindrical shapes with a tympanic membrane stretched across either end. Also circular hammered out sheets of some bronze brass alloy. Keep it simple for ye olde reptile brain.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

VariableX

26 Jan 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
26 Jan 2019

The GUI is fantastic!
100% agree!
The GUI looks very professional.

BRIGGS

26 Jan 2019

motuscott wrote:
26 Jan 2019

Wow, the electric guitar rabbit hole is deep. Makes me glad I’m primarily a guy what hits hollowed out cylindrical shapes with a tympanic membrane stretched across either end. Also circular hammered out sheets of some bronze brass alloy. Keep it simple for ye olde reptile brain.
I quit guitar after 20+ years...so yeah, the rabbit hole....

It's deep.
r11s

motuscott

26 Jan 2019

Cheers fellow survivor
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

turn2on
RE Developer

28 Jan 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Jan 2019
Thanks for this question. We not try to absolutely emulate original UniVibe (TM) as main idea, this edal have own sound based on photocells, we just try to create some modern variants of modulations with customization of Vibrato. If you look to original UniVibe pedal, you know that Chorus there is not real Chorus effect, its more vibrato-based sound.
Chorus Mode (dry signal mixed with pitch-shifted signal). Vibrato Mode (pitch-shifted signal only). And we add various additional modulations to it. Now current modes not indetical repeat original pedal. But its stell interesting for this RE.
With understand it at near time we try to add some additionals.
Thanks for ineterest

KirkMarkarian

28 Jan 2019

Yep, really digging the UI design on this one as well - much more focused on layout design and unobtrusive graphics. Easy to read and understand, especially on a smaller screen. Nice work!

BRIGGS

03 Feb 2019

Thank you for the wet/dry function! With some tweaking, this allows placement almost anywhere in the chain.
r11s

• Information