Selig's Coloring EQ for 49 bucks atm

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
minilog

16 Jan 2019

I just barely got the promo email this morning. The one RE I've been wanting - couldn't pass on it now!

selig
RE Developer

16 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
16 Jan 2019
selig wrote:
15 Jan 2019
Leveler has the 3D look too, leaving the gradient as the deal breaker. So if a gradient keeps you from purchasing or using a product, I don’t know what to say. Again, I hope to add a view that is basically just one big custom display, which would address your deal breaker, no?
Yes, you're right. Yet somehow it doesn't seem to bother me as much on Leveler (and even Gain has a slight gradient, too). It's not so pronounced, maybe because it's not as striking on white as opposed to the "metal plate".

And maybe I'm just chalikng it on the "looks" when in fact it's a combination of the price and me having enough of good EQs already and being too dumb to understand how ColoringEQ is superior ;) :D
To be clear, I don't want to come across as telling you what to feel about a product, just trying to be sure I'm understanding your feedback correctly!

As for price, it's on sale right now FWIW! ;)
I'm happy to explain why "I" think it's superior, based on the features I wanted in an EQ in Reason beyond the general purpose SSL EQ:
•More choices with EQ shape/type including vintage asymmetrical EQ curves (wide boost/narrow cut), Tilt/Shift EQ, super gentle to fully resonant Shelves,
•More narrow (SUPER surgical cuts) and more wide parametric types (using negative Q techniques).
•A paragraphic based UI (for better visual feedback) in addition to the custom display.
•A musical approach to setting EQ using pitch in addition to frequency.
•Smooth continuously variable filter slopes, from steep 48 dB/Oct down to 0 dB/Oct (off) and everything in between.
•Audio I/O and CV for each band, making it a "modular" EQ.
•Extensive CV control making it a "playable" EQ, great for ducking by pitch, playing melodies with the resonant comb filter, or tracking acoustic sourced for additive or subtractive EQ that follows the pitch of the source (or doesn't follow, your choice).
•Master Gain/Tune/Q for adjusting the overall shape.
•Built in peak/hold meter for easy level matching.
•A hold feature on the spectrum display to better see the overall shape of the sound.
•And of course, a totally unique take on adding saturation in ways ranging from extremely subtle to OTT distorted, to all frequencies or to just one frequency, up to 5 bands of independent saturation in parallel with the original or 100% wet.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

16 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
16 Jan 2019
I'm happy to explain why "I" think it's superior, based on the features I wanted in an EQ in Reason beyond the general purpose SSL EQ...
Thanks for this! :) Too bad I can't trial it again, because when I did the 1st time I didn't really had the time to do so properly :(
Guess I'll watch the video & interviews again and decide that way :D

mon

16 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
antic604 wrote:
16 Jan 2019
Yes, you're right. Yet somehow it doesn't seem to bother me as much on Leveler (and even Gain has a slight gradient, too). It's not so pronounced, maybe because it's not as striking on white as opposed to the "metal plate".

And maybe I'm just chalikng it on the "looks" when in fact it's a combination of the price and me having enough of good EQs already and being too dumb to understand how ColoringEQ is superior ;) :D
To be clear, I don't want to come across as telling you what to feel about a product, just trying to be sure I'm understanding your feedback correctly!

As for price, it's on sale right now FWIW! ;)
I'm happy to explain why "I" think it's superior, based on the features I wanted in an EQ in Reason beyond the general purpose SSL EQ:
•More choices with EQ shape/type including vintage asymmetrical EQ curves (wide boost/narrow cut), Tilt/Shift EQ, super gentle to fully resonant Shelves,
•More narrow (SUPER surgical cuts) and more wide parametric types (using negative Q techniques).
•A paragraphic based UI (for better visual feedback) in addition to the custom display.
•A musical approach to setting EQ using pitch in addition to frequency.
•Smooth continuously variable filter slopes, from steep 48 dB/Oct down to 0 dB/Oct (off) and everything in between.
•Audio I/O and CV for each band, making it a "modular" EQ.
•Extensive CV control making it a "playable" EQ, great for ducking by pitch, playing melodies with the resonant comb filter, or tracking acoustic sourced for additive or subtractive EQ that follows the pitch of the source (or doesn't follow, your choice).
•Master Gain/Tune/Q for adjusting the overall shape.
•Built in peak/hold meter for easy level matching.
•A hold feature on the spectrum display to better see the overall shape of the sound.
•And of course, a totally unique take on adding saturation in ways ranging from extremely subtle to OTT distorted, to all frequencies or to just one frequency, up to 5 bands of independent saturation in parallel with the original or 100% wet.
:)
I would add the solo (band monitoring) function as a big plus also. This is the most versatile RE in my collection. It can be used as a classic EQ, kind of EQ-instrument, multiband saturator, creative audio splitter, multiband dynamic processor, capable filter and maybe something else that I yet have to find. Most importantly - the sound quality is excellent!
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

mon

16 Jan 2019

Forgot to mention the mid/side processing :)
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

selig
RE Developer

16 Jan 2019

mon wrote: I would add the solo (band monitoring) function as a big plus also. This is the most versatile RE in my collection. It can be used as a classic EQ, kind of EQ-instrument, multiband saturator, creative audio splitter, multiband dynamic processor, capable filter and maybe something else that I yet have to find. Most importantly - the sound quality is excellent!
Oh yea, solo is not only essential for fine tuning saturation, but if you turn off the saturation master, you can use it to quickly and easily locate and reduce annoying frequencies by setting a cut on the desired band (asymmetrical is best for super narrow cuts), hitting solo, and sweeping to isolate the annoying frequency. Once you find it, just hit solo again and it’s already cut for you!

This is a better approach than boosting and sweeping for two reasons; first, you’re not boosting levels with solo (so things are not super loud when sweeping), and second you ONLY hear the frequency band you’re EQ’ing (you hear a band pass filter effect when soloed), making it easier to hear when you locate the offending frequency.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

cognitive

16 Jan 2019

FWIW, I use this EQ on every song I produce. Mainly as a master EQ (LOVE the band-targeted saturation here) but also as a surgical EQ for things like vocals and drum mixes.

I find the ColoringEQ packs a lot of versatile punch into one RE that fits the way I like to work. $49 seems like a steal here.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2019

selig wrote: ....
When doe this deal end?

The Email that went out states the 20th, the shop states 21st.

Cheers
PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

BananaSkins

16 Jan 2019

According to website as of: 16-1-2019

Offer ends in 4 days

Deal of the week: 50% off until 21st of January!
Last edited by BananaSkins on 16 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

16 Jan 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 Jan 2019
When doe this deal end?

The Email that went out states the 20th, the shop states 21st.
It's a deal of the week, so they typically disappear around 9-9:30am Swedish time on Monday :)

shawnhsu

17 Jan 2019

Tried. Bought. A VERY happy man I have become! XD

two shoes

18 Jan 2019

so i messed about with this for a couple hours and i can report back that it most certainly is not just another EQ. i can't stop thinking of possible uses for the per band saturation and dynamic options! i catch a whiff of superiority from Selig's posts on this forum every now and then, but if i knew as much as he clearly does about audio and dsp i'd feel mighty superior too.

selig
RE Developer

18 Jan 2019

two shoes wrote:so i messed about with this for a couple hours and i can report back that it most certainly is not just another EQ. i can't stop thinking of possible uses for the per band saturation and dynamic options! i catch a whiff of superiority from Selig's posts on this forum every now and then, but if i knew as much as he clearly does about audio and dsp i'd feel mighty superior too.
Oh man, sorry if I’ve come across that way. Just trying to do what the folks I learned so much from did for me - share their knowledge and set me straight when I went astray!

Thanks for the kind words about the ColoringEQ - it’s been a labor of love for me and nothing makes me happier than hearing that other folks are getting as much out of it as I do. :)

Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

18 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
14 Jan 2019

* more audio ins for visible/editable stuff - not sure what you mean - this EQ has FAR more audio inputs than any EQ in existence!!! You can even use any of the inputs to show it's own spectral display and switch back and forth for comparison ("Hold" is incredibly useful for this, btw). You could conceivably have 7 different inputs all showing their own display, though not at once (but this is another thing I'm looking into).
This makes me want to buy it now. I wanted to get it before, and now that it went on sale, I thought I'd wait a bit more for the next time it goes on sale, but knowing it can analyse multiple inputs at once... I'm buying it in the morning during breakfast. Good night.

Emian

18 Jan 2019

whilst i have nothing against Selig and his products, au contraire even, i bought the Waves Scheps 73 EQ last end of year sale at 59€ and that is one ofthe most musical saturating EQ's i've ever heard...

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

selig
RE Developer

18 Jan 2019

Emian wrote:whilst i have nothing against Selig and his products, au contraire even, i bought the Waves Scheps 73 EQ last end of year sale at 59€ and that is one ofthe most musical saturating EQ's i've ever heard...
The 1073 is one of my favorite all time pre-amp/EQs! I don’t have experience with the Waves version, but like all other EQs that feature saturation, it’s either pre or post EQ. Which is to say it’s the same thing as adding a saturation plugin before or after your EQ.

The ColoringEQ is a totally different animal in this regard, and can do things no other EQ can do that I’m aware of - certainly not a replacement for a 1073 and more than a 1073 is a replacement for the ColoringEQ.

Horses for courses would totally apply here, as these are two completely different approaches to EQ IMO.

Selig Audio, LLC

two shoes

18 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
18 Jan 2019
two shoes wrote:so i messed about with this for a couple hours and i can report back that it most certainly is not just another EQ. i can't stop thinking of possible uses for the per band saturation and dynamic options! i catch a whiff of superiority from Selig's posts on this forum every now and then, but if i knew as much as he clearly does about audio and dsp i'd feel mighty superior too.
Oh man, sorry if I’ve come across that way. Just trying to do what the folks I learned so much from did for me - share their knowledge and set me straight when I went astray!

Thanks for the kind words about the ColoringEQ - it’s been a labor of love for me and nothing makes me happier than hearing that other folks are getting as much out of it as I do. :)

don't take me too serious i'm just havin a bit of fun - i appreciate any genuinely knowledgeable person who takes the time to share what they know on forums like this where they'll often get toxicity in return for their generosity and i understand that it's hard not to come off as a know it all occasionally when you actually know a lot more than most of the other folks around. your leveler was one of the first REs i tried and i've been a fan since - it's a brilliant little plugin.

raveled
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2019

To me, one great thing with this eq is that I can make sense of using its presets. Usually, I seldom find any good usage of presets in EQ-land. But ColoringEQ’s global controls (and the possibility to swap the type of parametric nodes), make presets quick to shape and fun to work with! I sometimes tend to think of it a bit like Audomatic in that sense, since it can get me unexpected results when playing around with it.

• Information