Love Kompulsion

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Posts: 1442
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 12 Jan 2019

Got a Linn Drumachine VST with one cv and one note input. I’m sick of Drum Sequencer having only 16 steps. So I took out Propulsion. Hmmm...I thought, now I’ll need to get TM-1 Trigger Multiplexer afterall. But then I thought...here, wait a minute. What about Kompulsion? And what do you know...worked a treat and 32 steps into the bargain. So that’s it...Love Kompulsion. Just sayin’. :)

User avatar
KirkMarkarian
Posts: 292
Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post 12 Jan 2019

Kompulsion is my favorite sequencer within Reason - has almost ALL of what I'm looking for, and the bits it doesn't have are not necessary, just flourishes that I dream of. :D

seqoi
Posts: 280
Joined: 12 Aug 2017

Post 12 Jan 2019

KirkMarkarian wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Kompulsion is my favorite sequencer within Reason - has almost ALL of what I'm looking for, and the bits it doesn't have are not necessary, just flourishes that I dream of. :D
+1

it replaced everything for me. I don't use anything else for synth sequencing anymore.

m.arthur
Posts: 57
Joined: 21 Oct 2017

Post 12 Jan 2019

+1 here as well, recently got it, love it.

I'll never understand what madness was controlling Prop's brains when they said "let's make a fully featured new drum/step sequencer and then give it just 16 steps per pattern!!!!!" Effin' surreal, that.

MrFigg
Posts: 1442
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 12 Jan 2019

m.arthur wrote:
12 Jan 2019
+1 here as well, recently got it, love it.

I'll never understand what madness was controlling Prop's brains when they said "let's make a fully featured new drum/step sequencer and then give it just 16 steps per pattern!!!!!" Effin' surreal, that.
It really is a shame.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 253
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 12 Jan 2019

Still need to be able to slide notes so we can change the timing of claps and snares. It is so simple, but so extremely important to get the grooves right.
I do not understand why the developer keeps ignoring this, I must have requested this since it was released.
I would appreciate some feedback that it is on it's way.

User avatar
KirkMarkarian
Posts: 292
Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post 12 Jan 2019

Boombastix wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Still need to be able to slide notes so we can change the timing of claps and snares. It is so simple, but so extremely important to get the grooves right.
I do not understand why the developer keeps ignoring this, I must have requested this since it was released.
I would appreciate some feedback that it is on it's way.
Use the "Delay" function. It will give you slop and swing and everything in between. So easy to use. I did this track using it to adjust the claps over the snares.

https://www.songtradr.com/songs/kirk-ma ... /fall-dusk

Since the delay only allows you to shift the note forward, sometimes you might want to shift the note in the other direction. You can't, so put the note a sixteenth note behind where you would normally place it, then shift the note forward by raising the delay value. Sometimes you gotta get creative with the device.

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 83
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 13 Jan 2019

KirkMarkarian wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Boombastix wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Still need to be able to slide notes so we can change the timing of claps and snares. It is so simple, but so extremely important to get the grooves right.
I do not understand why the developer keeps ignoring this, I must have requested this since it was released.
I would appreciate some feedback that it is on it's way.
Use the "Delay" function. It will give you slop and swing and everything in between. So easy to use. I did this track using it to adjust the claps over the snares.

https://www.songtradr.com/songs/kirk-ma ... /fall-dusk

Since the delay only allows you to shift the note forward, sometimes you might want to shift the note in the other direction. You can't, so put the note a sixteenth note behind where you would normally place it, then shift the note forward by raising the delay value. Sometimes you gotta get creative with the device.
Does this not work ? (set delay normally on the notes you want, then set the delay to subtract?)
Annotation 2019-01-13 062751.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
KirkMarkarian
Posts: 292
Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post 13 Jan 2019

mjxl wrote:
13 Jan 2019
KirkMarkarian wrote:
12 Jan 2019


Use the "Delay" function. It will give you slop and swing and everything in between. So easy to use. I did this track using it to adjust the claps over the snares.

https://www.songtradr.com/songs/kirk-ma ... /fall-dusk

Since the delay only allows you to shift the note forward, sometimes you might want to shift the note in the other direction. You can't, so put the note a sixteenth note behind where you would normally place it, then shift the note forward by raising the delay value. Sometimes you gotta get creative with the device.
Does this not work ? (set delay normally on the notes you want, then set the delay to subtract?)
Annotation 2019-01-13 062751.jpg
Never tried it that way, I bet it does. So, we have another option, sweet! 😃

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 304
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 13 Jan 2019

mjxl wrote:
13 Jan 2019
KirkMarkarian wrote:
12 Jan 2019


Use the "Delay" function. It will give you slop and swing and everything in between. So easy to use. I did this track using it to adjust the claps over the snares.

https://www.songtradr.com/songs/kirk-ma ... /fall-dusk

Since the delay only allows you to shift the note forward, sometimes you might want to shift the note in the other direction. You can't, so put the note a sixteenth note behind where you would normally place it, then shift the note forward by raising the delay value. Sometimes you gotta get creative with the device.
Does this not work ? (set delay normally on the notes you want, then set the delay to subtract?)
Annotation 2019-01-13 062751.jpg

Where is that panel on kompulsion? I cannot find where to set the delay to subtract.

User avatar
rcbuse
Posts: 850
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: SR388

Post 13 Jan 2019

Boombastix wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Still need to be able to slide notes so we can change the timing of claps and snares. It is so simple, but so extremely important to get the grooves right.
I do not understand why the developer keeps ignoring this, I must have requested this since it was released.
I would appreciate some feedback that it is on it's way.
I made an attempt at this a while back and found it to be quite difficult. First, it broke backwards compatibility on the patches. Second, implementing a look-ahead for negative delays started to get crazy with all the different repeats, directions, and mixers. So, this is still on the backlog for further consideration because it is a good idea, but I'm not sure if this particular feature is going to make it.

User avatar
rcbuse
Posts: 850
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: SR388

Post 13 Jan 2019

mjxl wrote:
13 Jan 2019
KirkMarkarian wrote:
12 Jan 2019


Use the "Delay" function. It will give you slop and swing and everything in between. So easy to use. I did this track using it to adjust the claps over the snares.

https://www.songtradr.com/songs/kirk-ma ... /fall-dusk

Since the delay only allows you to shift the note forward, sometimes you might want to shift the note in the other direction. You can't, so put the note a sixteenth note behind where you would normally place it, then shift the note forward by raising the delay value. Sometimes you gotta get creative with the device.
Does this not work ? (set delay normally on the notes you want, then set the delay to subtract?)
Annotation 2019-01-13 062751.jpg
Unfortunately that isn't going to work, internally the delay would be clamped to zero.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], ScuzzyEye and 2 guests