Trigger multiplexer TM-1 question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2019

Hi. Quick question. Would I be right in saying that I can do most of the things that this RE does using the Drum Sequencer? Or is there much more it can offer? I mean adding two drum sequencers to an nn-xt gives me the same control right? Also if I wanted to have a Euclid on every drum in the sampler or whatever then I can just substitute with a few Euclidean Rythms Players and assign a note to each? Just wondering as before Drum Sequencer came out I thought that TM-1 was one of the most awesome tools ever.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

buddard
RE Developer

06 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jan 2019
Hi. Quick question. Would I be right in saying that I can do most of the things that this RE does using the Drum Sequencer? Or is there much more it can offer? I mean adding two drum sequencers to an nn-xt gives me the same control right? Also if I wanted to have a Euclid on every drum in the sampler or whatever then I can just substitute with a few Euclidean Rythms Players and assign a note to each? Just wondering as before Drum Sequencer came out I thought that TM-1 was one of the most awesome tools ever.
The purpose of TM-1 is to be able to connect multi out CV-based rhythm sequencers (Euclid, Elementary, Propulsion, PSQ, Redrum etc) to instruments that only have a single CV Note/Gate input pair (NN-XT, Combinators, all VSTs etc).

So I think the question isn't if Drum Sequencer replaces TM-1, the question is if the Drum Sequencer (or Kompulsion) can replace all those CV-based devices. And that's for you and your creative needs to decide, of course. :puf_smile:
So if you love the Drum Sequencer or Kompulsion and decide that they are enough for your needs, then that's it!

As for Euclidean vs Euclid, for basic usage you can quite easily replace Euclid with Euclidean as you described. They have slightly different feature sets, though: Euclid has the extra gate outputs (inverse gate, toggle, inverse toggle), and plenty of additional CV inputs like the clock input. So Euclid is better suited for modular experimentation while Euclidean is a bit more straightforward (and polyphonic).

Fun fact: When we first designed TM-1, it was actually meant to be a Player. But after a year passed and no Player support appeared in SDK 2.5, we decided to make it a CV utility instead.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2019

Aaaa. Thanks. Got it :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information