Complex from Propellerhead

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
miscend

20 Dec 2018

raymondh wrote:
19 Dec 2018
antic604 wrote:
19 Dec 2018

Mattias posted couple of times in that thread, so I'm pretty sure he saw that.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some heated PM exchange going on right now between the two :D
Yeah bad form from Urs - quite a passive aggressive post from a competitor. If he wanted to provide so-called 'constructive' criticism, he shouldn't have done it publicly.
He does that all the time. He posted in the Dune 3 thread.

raymondh

20 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
19 Dec 2018
raymondh wrote:
19 Dec 2018

I love u-he synths and respect Urs' views - he's an extremely clever guy, and his expert opinion would weigh pretty heavily on many people I expect. Maybe he meant no malice but I read his comment as "close but no cigar", and that has put me off pulling the trigger on this synth. I didn't read Matthias' response so will go back and look.
It was Urs that was pissed off from public critics on his stuff and left the RE platform?
Yeah that was a shame too. I like the Uhbik RE's

raymondh

20 Dec 2018

raymondh wrote:
19 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
19 Dec 2018

Seriously? Urs’ comments made you reluctant to get this synth?? Dude - Complex-1 is fuck’n magical. You’re missing out.
That's what I needed to hear! Thanks!!! Off to the store!
Thanks for the nudge. Gosh what a stunning synth. Those generative patches especially are incredibly inspiring. I can't wait to finish my D-05 demo so I can move on to experimenting with this synth!

Loque

20 Dec 2018

raymondh wrote:
20 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
19 Dec 2018

It was Urs that was pissed off from public critics on his stuff and left the RE platform?
ppl prefer to give critics instead of taking it and improve... Sad...
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

20 Dec 2018

For those who haven't read the review on CDM:

http://cdm.link/2018/12/complex-1-reason-modular/

scratchnsnifff

20 Dec 2018

RequiemMachine wrote:
19 Dec 2018
So...have yet to play with it. Looking forward to it when I get home this weekend! I have one question, what can you do with the audio in on the back? I’ve ran my guitar output through a hardware setup as a sound source and was able to sample some really unique sounds...wondering if it may be possible to the same with Complex-1?
You can play chords
But you have to use a synth like Thor or Europa etc. instead of connecting the complex oscillators. From there you gain access to polyphonic play. Also I’d imagine you can use the audio in as a FM modulator If you want a mono patch

The wave shaper and comb thing are fun on Europa patches

Think of it just like Thor’s audio in :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

20 Dec 2018

I think there is a bug in how the knobs move.

In cable mode, the knobs have a slow feel to them but when in non cable mode the knobs move faster

Can anyone else confirm this? It is this something to do with moving a knob on a normal front rack device vs moving a knob in a custom display?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Noplan
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 Dec 2018

In cable mode, the knobs have a slow feel to them but when in non cable mode the knobs move faster

Can anyone else confirm this? It is this something to do with moving a knob on a normal front rack device vs moving a knob in a custom display?
This is just to simulate that the cables are in the way as in real patching. ;)

selig
RE Developer

20 Dec 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:Started reading the manual there it is really nicely done, has some great little tips for modular synthesis concepts from what Iv'e been learning the past year or so anyway. I'm very surprised to learn that OSC 3 can go all the way down to 0.01hz doubling as an LFO - I understand LFO's are just slower oscillators, the part I'm surprised about is why complex has been limited to 1 LFO and an extra Oscillator could have gotten 2 extra oscillators in there or the extra LFO. OSC 3 has those very slow capabilities and 0 indication of the speed in Hz of the oscillation. The LFO has no capabilities to go slower than 0.13hz and goes up to 66hz doubling as a sub bass oscillator essentially.

It would have been nice for both OSC 3 and the LFO not to be so generic and instead make use of the space both occupy and use both functions as you would see fit. There are times when you need a second LFO and or a 3rd or 4th oscillator.

I haven't seen complex clip once, which is spectacular! Even when slamming the gain and inputting to another Complex to its filter. Does the filter have a built in limiter or where on the chain does it get limited? I've not come across it in the manual if it's in there.
LFOs: There’s also the Clock LFO. The mainLFO and Osc 3 can both be driving way slower than the knob on the front.

If you want more LFOs, I like hooking Pulsar’s two LFOS to the CV inputs.

More Oscillators:? Hook up another Complex-1 to the audio inputs and get three more!

Lot’s of options when you start combining devices, just like with a real modular! :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Koshdukai

20 Dec 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
18 Dec 2018
selig wrote:
18 Dec 2018

There's a velocity jack if you'd rather just drag it "physically".
Can't seem to drag from an output only an in.
To make that possible, turn "View Cables" ON

There's 2 UX's in there, for those more into menus and less into cables at the front :)

Viscor

20 Dec 2018

When is the challenge going up?

selig
RE Developer

20 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 Dec 2018

I just tested both views and they appear pretty much the same. I dragged the Shape knob half way up, and in both views I ended up around the Pitch knob above it. Felt very similar to me, no way of knowing if they are exactly the same or not.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

20 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
20 Dec 2018
Felt very similar to me, no way of knowing if they are exactly the same or not.
I guess one could measure a distance the mouse pointer travelled to move them knob from A to B in either view? :D

selig
RE Developer

20 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
20 Dec 2018
selig wrote:
20 Dec 2018
Felt very similar to me, no way of knowing if they are exactly the same or not.
I guess one could measure a distance the mouse pointer travelled to move them knob from A to B in either view? :D
That's essentially what I did, but I can't gauge velocity values just distance. To gauge velocity I'd have to have a way to create a consistent movement speed between tests.
Selig Audio, LLC

Re8et
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2018

Poly Complex -1, 8b voices, needs Alien Seed Re: Poseidon.
I already love this thing!!

Enjoy!

Poly Complex-1 [Poseidon].zip
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

buddard
RE Developer

20 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
20 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 Dec 2018

I just tested both views and they appear pretty much the same. I dragged the Shape knob half way up, and in both views I ended up around the Pitch knob above it. Felt very similar to me, no way of knowing if they are exactly the same or not.
I think it depends on which mouse precision setting you have in preferences. It seems the cable mode version more or less matches the "precise" setting.

selig
RE Developer

20 Dec 2018

buddard wrote:
20 Dec 2018
selig wrote:
20 Dec 2018

I think it depends on which mouse precision setting you have in preferences. It seems the cable mode version more or less matches the "precise" setting.
Just checked - Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm using "very precise" FWIW.
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2018

Depends on whether he's talking about how much the values change, or just how snappy he feels the GUI is, which is how I interpreted it.

m.arthur

20 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2018

The criticism in this thread directed at Urs (u-he) and his alleged behavior is completely bizarre, misguided and just inaccurate.

Somebody *asked* him what he thought about Complex-1, so he went and looked at it, and then responded with his personal opinion. You know, because that's what he was asked to do in the first place.

He's a top-tier pro with this stuff, what did you expect? That he'd say "best modular design ever, incredible!" No, he was asked, as a synth expert and modular user, what he thought of it -- and he said that he liked the concept but listed the things he would need it to have to be of more interest to him. What is wrong with that? How did THAT turn in to "let's all talk about how Urs is sensitive and negative and unprofessional" ?

He's a regular on the KVR forums, yes. That's a GOOD thing. People can communicate directly with a dev, get questions answered, offer feedback. U-He uses a KVR sub-form as their primary forum. But somehow if he posts in the Dune 3 thread, he's "unprofessional"? I don't see how.

As for the RE's, I'd have to know more about that situation. But frankly, stopping development of RE's is a smart move for any third party developer, because in case y'all missed it, Reason loads VSTs now ;) What possible incentive does someone like Urs have for developing RE's when people can simply load his VSTs in Reason....

People here have weird expectations of devs. Urs is easily one of the most approachable and useful devs available in the KVR forums. The attacks on him here are really misguided.

/end rant
Last edited by m.arthur on 20 Dec 2018, edited 2 times in total.

bitley

20 Dec 2018

I got Ochen K's modular racks quite a while ago, haven't used them much I must admit. I like Pulsar too.

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... lar-synth/

So the modular synth concept has been around for a while.

Loque

20 Dec 2018

m.arthur wrote:
20 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2018

The criticism in this thread directed at Urs (u-he) and his alleged behavior is completely bizarre, misguided and just inaccurate.

Somebody *asked* him what he thought about Complex-1, so he went and looked at it, and then responded with his personal opinion. You know, because that's what he was asked to do in the first place.

He's a top-tier pro with this stuff, what did you expect? That he'd say "best modular design ever, incredible!" No, he was asked, as a synth expert and modular user, what he thought of it -- and he said that he liked the concept but listed the things he would need it to have to be of more interest to him. What is wrong with that? How did THAT turn in to "let's all talk about how Urs is sensitive and negative and unprofessional" ?

He's a regular on the KVR forums, yes. That's a GOOD thing. People can communicate directly with a dev, get questions answered, offer feedback. U-He uses a KVR sub-form as their primary forum. But somehow if he posts in the Dune 3 thread, he's "unprofessional"? I don't see how.

As for the RE's, I'd have to know more about that situation. But frankly, stopping development of RE's is a smart move for any third party developer, because in case y'all missed it, Reason loads VSTs now ;) What possible incentive does someone like Urs have for developing RE's when people can simply load his VSTs in Reason....

People here have weird expectations of devs. Urs is easily one of the most approachable and useful devs available in the KVR forums. The attacks on him here are really misguided.

/end rant
Guess you missed the point or i didn't made it explicit enough.
Reason12, Win10

Re8et
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2018
raymondh wrote:
20 Dec 2018

I believe the cric's about it being mono ain't opened up VCV or by that matter have seen the complexity behind poly modular, it would be nice to have a poly refill collection on start, but Distributor and Poseidon are not stock... :roll:

selig
RE Developer

20 Dec 2018

Re8et wrote:
20 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2018

I believe the cric's about it being mono ain't opened up VCV or by that matter have seen the complexity behind poly modular, it would be nice to have a poly refill collection on start, but Distributor and Poseidon are not stock... :roll:
This (distributor) is something I've wished the Combinator could do for years. Would especially come in handy with Complex-1 IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

Marc64

20 Dec 2018

Anyone got Device error on Complex? I got it by browsing thru the patches, can't reproduce it.. seemes random...

Loque

20 Dec 2018

Re8et wrote:
20 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2018

Time to bundle up...But on the other hand, i think the Polymodular Bundle is still only 29, which is realy worth it.
Reason12, Win10

• Information