Etch Red

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Mr. Watts

15 Dec 2018

I bought it a couple years back during Black Friday when I hadn't much of a clue about how to use it (impulse buy). I guess I had been kind of intimidated by it or something all this time and had been using more straight forward and designated lp/hp filters instead (Classic Filter/F-16). Well I was messing around with it last night just to see how it could be used as a basic LP filter with Resonance and this thing is AWESOME. Having the different filter and drive options is such a nice feature. I have not been able to get any other filter in RE format to sound as nasty and gritty as this one. Still unsure about the modulation section but for basic filtering I believe this will be my new go to. Anyone looking to buy a filter in RE format should definitely give this a try.

scratchnsnifff

15 Dec 2018

Omg etch red!
My favorite filter these days. It was one of the first things I got.

The modulation is almost like modular wiring, but for every input you can plug multiple modulators into

Just click the middle section to pick something like an LFO
Then you’ll see that the LFO has the checkbox which indicates that all modulation destinations will be effected by the LFO

So once you click one of the sources, just move the dial under the filter cutoff this just says how much of the LFO signal is being sent to that destination

From there just adjust the LFO rate and settings, I recommend giving a maximum value for the filter cutoff and then using the gain knob to scale. I usually put it into a combinator and use the mod wheel to scale how much of the LFO gets sent out

Hope this helps :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Majestik Monkey

15 Dec 2018

Yes Mr Watts .......... :puf_bigsmile:

It is easly one of the Top filters to have in your Rack in every sense !

Putting a full Drum kit or Loop through the Comb filters with added shred distortion creates a Super Flange & Phazer !!!! :thumbs_up:

motuscott

15 Dec 2018

Big plus one on the drive options as well...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Mr. Watts

15 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
15 Dec 2018
Omg etch red!
My favorite filter these days. It was one of the first things I got.

The modulation is almost like modular wiring, but for every input you can plug multiple modulators into

Just click the middle section to pick something like an LFO
Then you’ll see that the LFO has the checkbox which indicates that all modulation destinations will be effected by the LFO

So once you click one of the sources, just move the dial under the filter cutoff this just says how much of the LFO signal is being sent to that destination

From there just adjust the LFO rate and settings, I recommend giving a maximum value for the filter cutoff and then using the gain knob to scale. I usually put it into a combinator and use the mod wheel to scale how much of the LFO gets sent out

Hope this helps :)
Yes this helps a lot! Now we're getting somewhere! Thanks for helping me out with that

Mr. Watts

15 Dec 2018

Majestik Monkey wrote:
15 Dec 2018
Yes Mr Watts .......... :puf_bigsmile:

It is easly one of the Top filters to have in your Rack in every sense !

Putting a full Drum kit or Loop through the Comb filters with added shred distortion creates a Super Flange & Phazer !!!! :thumbs_up:
For real! I can't believe it's just been hanging out in my effects window all this time knowing what I know now. Such a nice filter with tons of options I look forward to experimenting more with the comb filter.

Mr. Watts

15 Dec 2018

motuscott wrote:
15 Dec 2018
Big plus one on the drive options as well...
Yes!!!

Loque

16 Dec 2018

Hmm... Yea, i often I forgot I have it. Maybe I didn't saved in my mind filter=EtchRed. Maybe just too complicated and many things to handle for a quick cutoff knob.

Should blow off the dust and give it a spin. I just thought of doing this with Red Queen too - man, i wish this thing had a fft display with controls.
Reason12, Win10

Mr. Watts

16 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
16 Dec 2018
Hmm... Yea, i often I forgot I have it. Maybe I didn't saved in my mind filter=EtchRed. Maybe just too complicated and many things to handle for a quick cutoff knob.

Should blow off the dust and give it a spin. I just thought of doing this with Red Queen too - man, i wish this thing had a fft display with controls.
Yea I thought the same exact things. Turns out it's a device that's only as complicated as you make it out to be. For your basic filtering needs just reset the device and mess around with the drive and filter 1 section. The "fatty" filter circuit is my favorite for making it scream along with a little drive.

xylyx

16 Dec 2018

I can't remember the last time I used it either...mainly because I have too many VST and RE, so I just default to the ones I use most.

I really need to organise my extensions into favourite folders, so that when I need a filter with more, it is right there in front of me.

challism

16 Dec 2018

I totally agree, Etch is badass. It's nice just as a distortion unit, too. I love its distortion, and there are so many different types. The filters are amazing even though there aren't many from which to choose. They sound great. She is a bit DSP hungry, but it is doing so much, and it sounds so good. You have to pay with your DSP for quality sounding devices.

Thanks for posting this. It reminds me of how great Etch is how much I love it. I haven't played with it for probably over a year now. Too many other toys. I'm going to take it out and blow off the dust; give it some attention. Slap it on some devices I have purchased since I last used Etch. Looks like I'm in for a busy night.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

PinkSlime

16 Dec 2018

probably the best sounding filter+ unit I have. The cpu hit prohibits from using many instances. Packs a bunch with its modulation and distortion

friday

16 Dec 2018

Thanks for the Reminder :-)

motuscott

16 Dec 2018

challism wrote:
16 Dec 2018
She is a bit DSP hungry
Word
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

challism

16 Dec 2018

Yeah, due to the DSP appetite, this one definitely creates a bounce to track situation.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Faastwalker

16 Dec 2018

Another RE I'd forgotten about! I used it a lot when i first got it. It's very powerful in terms of modulation & the way the modulation works is clever. Cool RE. I need to fire it up again. I guess it's a case of out with the old, in with the new. You buy new stuff & the old stuff tends to get a little sidelined unless it's an essential part of your set-up / workflow.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2018

Still use it for crasy stuff. If you want a more controlled filter tied to a sequencer parafilter is great too. But Etch Red has made me happy a lot of times.

• Information