Fairlight CMI?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

13 Dec 2018

Idk if anyone has considered this. But I feel like it would be cool to see someone make a rack extension mock up of some of the staple features of the fairlight CMI

Maybe it could be a 3/4 oscillator synth each with its own mini step sequencer, waveform drawer, and or sample player

In an ideal situation it would be great to see the same resynthisis functionality that the CMI offered. If j remember correctly, I’m pretty sure I saw a video where a dude was using the CMI computer and was able to record a sound and have it translated to a waveform which he could then edit

The fairlight was ahead of its time,

CMI>serum
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

QVprod

13 Dec 2018

People have been trying to talk bitley into it to no avail. Not sure if the functionality is a good fit as a rack device though. Arturia's emulation seems to be really good

Catblack

14 Dec 2018

If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Loque

14 Dec 2018

Yep... Too late...
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

14 Dec 2018

QVprod wrote:
13 Dec 2018
People have been trying to talk bitley into it to no avail. Not sure if the functionality is a good fit as a rack device though. Arturia's emulation seems to be really good

Wow! That sounds really unique.

antic604

14 Dec 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Dec 2018
QVprod wrote:
13 Dec 2018

If you own any Arturia products then check your account - I just bought V Collection 6 (which includes CMI + 20 other synths) bundled with their new Pigments for EUR268. That's 12 EUR per VST :o

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2018

I wonder if Bitley’s CMI provided them with inspiration and market validation
Last edited by avasopht on 14 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

bitley

14 Dec 2018

Completely different products and ideas so no worries there. :)

QVprod

14 Dec 2018

avasopht wrote:
14 Dec 2018
I wonder if Bitley’s CMI provided them with inspiration and market validation
I think it naturally had the same market validation as any other vintage synth emulation. Herbie Hancock used one on an episode of Sesame Street, it wasn’t an obscure synth by any means.

ScuzzyEye

14 Dec 2018

QVprod wrote:
14 Dec 2018
I think it naturally had the same market validation as any other vintage synth emulation. Herbie Hancock used one on an episode of Sesame Street, it wasn’t an obscure synth by any means.
CMI factory patches show up everywhere. You probably know some of them very well.

Especially the one they talk about here:

MannequinRaces

14 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
14 Dec 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Dec 2018

If you own any Arturia products then check your account - I just bought V Collection 6 (which includes CMI + 20 other synths) bundled with their new Pigments for EUR268. That's 12 EUR per VST :o
I’m not a VST guy but thanks for the heads up. That does sound like a good deal!

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2018

UVI's Darklight existed 5 years before Arturia's (although it is just a taste of the Fairlight):

Amazing, the things you find outside the rack extension cave, huh?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

scratchnsnifff

14 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Yep... Too late...
Why? Because of Arturia?
What I’m suggesting/hoping to see some day, is a synth with aspects of the CMI. Not a full blown emulation, just wave drawing, a sequencer, and some of the additive bite that it provided

Under the current sdk it seems to be doable

scratchnsnifff

14 Dec 2018

bitley wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Completely different products and ideas so no worries there. :)
Sure they are different, but I doubt that the sdk couldn’t handle some of the CMI properties. As Iv said, I’m not suggesting an entire emulation/workstation. Just the Additive oscillator/sampler and maybe a sequencer
I mean the props made a Dx7 clone so I wouldn’t completely dismiss the possiblity of someone at PH HQ being inspired by the CMI someday. Or any other rack extension developer

bitley

14 Dec 2018

Sure thing, that would be cool! :)

Loque

14 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Yep... Too late...
Why? Because of Arturia?
What I’m suggesting/hoping to see some day, is a synth with aspects of the CMI. Not a full blown emulation, just wave drawing, a sequencer, and some of the additive bite that it provided

eXpanse?
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

15 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
14 Dec 2018

Why? Because of Arturia?

eXpanse?
I suppose expanse does cover these concepts :)

However the oscillator functionality isn’t the same, if i remember correctly the CMI lets you drop a sample into it and you can reshape the waveform by drawing

A form of resynthisis. Spectra does do this, and another idea that would be cool is to see full blown resynthisis in the Reason rack. The ability to have a sample imported and played back, and at first it sounds almost exactly the same, but then you get to mess with the partials which lets you make something entirely different
Harmor is the best example of this imo

Lol I really need to learn coding, I wonder if the props have any blog posts about their sdk or any tutorials for rack extension specific knowledge I just watched how to code an oscillator on YouTube
Next step I’ll learn how to serum XD

Loque

16 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
15 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2018

eXpanse?
I suppose expanse does cover these concepts :)

However the oscillator functionality isn’t the same, if i remember correctly the CMI lets you drop a sample into it and you can reshape the waveform by drawing

A form of resynthisis. Spectra does do this, and another idea that would be cool is to see full blown resynthisis in the Reason rack. The ability to have a sample imported and played back, and at first it sounds almost exactly the same, but then you get to mess with the partials which lets you make something entirely different
Harmor is the best example of this imo

Lol I really need to learn coding, I wonder if the props have any blog posts about their sdk or any tutorials for rack extension specific knowledge I just watched how to code an oscillator on YouTube
Next step I’ll learn how to serum XD
The resynthesis in CMI is not only frequency/partials/spectre, but also modulating them. The next step is sound morphing. Beside CMI there is another Arturia synth that can do this resynthesis.

There are a few VSTs that can do morphing, but they are quite expensive and the results are mediocre audio quality... Still looking for something that can do this in high quality and let me control enough parameters.
Reason12, Win10

• Information