New Fat50 RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

13 Dec 2018

Reason12, Win10

QVprod

13 Dec 2018

Going from the demo video, it sounds pretty great! Especially on drums

Faastwalker

13 Dec 2018

FATSO! Sounds nice form the demos. I feel I've got this covered already though. We're not exactly short of this type of RE these days. We're spoilt for choice. Does sound nice though & very well priced so who knows. May find its way into my trolley.

FLVZ

13 Dec 2018

Looks like solid competition for the RX950. Sounds great!

miscend

13 Dec 2018

Am I hearing aliasing?

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2018

miscend wrote:
13 Dec 2018
Am I hearing aliasing?
Yes that's the downsampling/bit crushing section "Lo-fi"

moneykube

13 Dec 2018

everything sounds better to me with this... love it
:puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Breach The Sky

14 Dec 2018

Funny... I've been looking around after an all purpose "analog warmer" kind of effect, and then this hits the shop. Might be one of the best sounding effects of all the ones I tried! Good work. :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2018

Am I wrong or are devices like this not just filtery EQ saturation machines in a nice easy to use package? As I said, I may be completely wrong and I'm not knocking the RE in any way.

Just to expand on the above...what I mean is you've already got saturation and EQ and filters and the like then don't combining those do the same thing. Or does this RE add some other dimension? I really don't know so any explanation would be welcome.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Breach The Sky

14 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Am I wrong or are devices like this not just filtery EQ saturation machines in a nice easy to use package? As I said, I may be completely wrong and I'm not knocking the RE in any way.

Just to expand on the above...what I mean is you've already got saturation and EQ and filters and the like then don't combining those do the same thing. Or does this RE add some other dimension? I really don't know so any explanation would be welcome.
For me it's more about the "tone". The coloration devices I do get all have a certain character to them. Crapre 2, for instance, have a specific very dirty tone that I can't replicate with other devices. FAT50 has it's own tone. It might be possible to get in the ballpark whit stock devices, etc... But that's not inspiring to me, at least.

nickb523
RE Developer

14 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
14 Dec 2018
what I mean is you've already got saturation and EQ and filters and the like then don't combining those do the same thing.
Imagine for a second that "saturation and EQ and filters" were cooking ingredients...

If you had 2 onions, a carrot, mushrooms and some tomatoes... what would you cook up? ;)

Nick :)

jmerdsoy

14 Dec 2018

I think this RE is the tits. I've tried it on a bunch of source material and while I don't like it on everything, it makes heavy and clean guitars and synths soar. It also works really well on the mix buss (use gently). The warmth knob adds something that I don't think is possible with EQ. Yes, there are lots of saturation/distortion devices available and a lot of them are great. It's nice to have options for different sounds on different source material. That said, for the price point, the ease of use and sound quality, this thing is a very high caliber tool for the toolbox. Another thing I love about FAT50 is that it's simple. You know pretty quickly if it's going to work or not. I haven't delved too deeply into the LoFi settings as that sound is not often called for in what I do and there are people who are better able to comment on that than me...however...so far, just by instantiating it on random channels, it enhances source material in a very pleasing way most of the time, before I even start tweaking it. Top shelf.

RobC

14 Dec 2018

jmerdsoy wrote:
14 Dec 2018
I think this RE is the tits. I've tried it on a bunch of source material and while I don't like it on everything, it makes heavy and clean guitars and synths soar. It also works really well on the mix buss (use gently). The warmth knob adds something that I don't think is possible with EQ. Yes, there are lots of saturation/distortion devices available and a lot of them are great. It's nice to have options for different sounds on different source material. That said, for the price point, the ease of use and sound quality, this thing is a very high caliber tool for the toolbox. Another thing I love about FAT50 is that it's simple. You know pretty quickly if it's going to work or not. I haven't delved too deeply into the LoFi settings as that sound is not often called for in what I do and there are people who are better able to comment on that than me...however...so far, just by instantiating it on random channels, it enhances source material in a very pleasing way most of the time, before I even start tweaking it. Top shelf.
Are you kidding?! 8D LoFi can be used for tons of things!

I made some Combi's that are very simple and easy to reverse-engineer. You can hook them up to each-other and make them work hand-in-hand with these different uses, all with Lo-Fi only.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iwhXB ... Wsca8RVfIZ

Jmax

14 Dec 2018

Congrats on the new RE. I just tried it out on an 8 bar piano melody. I have to say it does sound nice on the initial patch. I'll have to test further to see what it can do vs. what I already have.
As a supporter of SKP Refills I'll probably purchase it anyway in time.

Cheers!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2018

nickb523 wrote:
14 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
14 Dec 2018
what I mean is you've already got saturation and EQ and filters and the like then don't combining those do the same thing.
Imagine for a second that "saturation and EQ and filters" were cooking ingredients...

If you had 2 onions, a carrot, mushrooms and some tomatoes... what would you cook up? ;)

I meant more that I already have been to the shops and bought the ingredients. I can do the cooking at home so why would I need to order a takeaway? :).
But I also know that I’ve bought my share of pizzas and maaaaan were they good :). Time for me to try eating out out at a new restaurant again maybe :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Breach The Sky

15 Dec 2018

It does wonders on the drum buss!

Mr. Watts

15 Dec 2018

I was just thinking the other day that I wish more RE's like these were made. I will have to try this out and see how it compares to the RX950. Will probably buy it anyways just to support new RE development if for nothing else though it appears to be an amicable device.

wendylou

15 Dec 2018

I noticed that many presets have a slight bump in volume when ON vs. BYPASS. As louder always sounds better, I balanced the output to match BYPASS, and the effect is diminished. Forgetting the bitrate reduction effect, the warming and beefy effect just seem diminished when comparing to BYPASS when the level is equal. Anyone notice this?
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

Breach The Sky

15 Dec 2018

wendylou wrote:
15 Dec 2018
I noticed that many presets have a slight bump in volume when ON vs. BYPASS. As louder always sounds better, I balanced the output to match BYPASS, and the effect is diminished. Forgetting the bitrate reduction effect, the warming and beefy effect just seem diminished when comparing to BYPASS when the level is equal. Anyone notice this?
I think that by adjusting the output knob (if that's what you did) you actually affect the output stage drive (valve and transistor)..? It's a bit awkward, because I also like to level match everything.

Edit: Wait, it's "mojo" that has an effect on the output knob.
Last edited by Breach The Sky on 15 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

nickb523
RE Developer

15 Dec 2018

wendylou wrote:
15 Dec 2018
Forgetting the bitrate reduction effect, the warming and beefy effect just seem diminished when comparing to BYPASS when the level is equal. Anyone notice this?
There isn't really any reason why that behaviour should occur but i'll check it out tomorrow.
Breach The Sky wrote:
15 Dec 2018
I think that by adjusting the output knob (if that's what you did) you actually affect the output stage drive (valve and transistor)..? It's a bit awkward, because I also like to level match everything.
The "output stage" control is part of the distortion and comes just before the main output gain knob. Notice the line connecting the distortion enable button and the output stage controls on the GUI.

Signal flow goes -

Input Gain ---> Lo-Fi --> Warmth --> Distortion --> Output Gain

Mojo mode has an influence on all the stages.

Work with the Input Gain as your main drive and use the Output gain to trim.

Hope this helps!

Breach The Sky

15 Dec 2018

nickb523 wrote:
15 Dec 2018
Breach The Sky wrote:
15 Dec 2018
The "output stage" control is part of the distortion and comes just before the main output gain knob. Notice the line connecting the distortion enable button and the output stage controls on the GUI.

Signal flow goes -

Input Gain ---> Lo-Fi --> Warmth --> Distortion --> Output Gain

Mojo mode has an influence on all the stages.

Work with the Input Gain as your main drive and use the Output gain to trim.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, I figured it out. Didn't realize that mojo had an effect att the output stage at first! :)

EpiGenetik

16 Dec 2018

Enjoyed messing around with this on a parallel channel, really nice sound when taken to moderate extremes and mixed back in. Good work :)

buddard
RE Developer

16 Dec 2018

I'm wondering why this is a Reason 10.1+ device only, since it doesn't seem to use any unique features from SDK 3.0 or even SDK 2.5 for that matter? I mean why make your market smaller when it's not necessary?

nickb523
RE Developer

16 Dec 2018

buddard wrote:
16 Dec 2018
I'm wondering why this is a Reason 10.1+ device only, since it doesn't seem to use any unique features from SDK 3.0 or even SDK 2.5 for that matter? I mean why make your market smaller when it's not necessary?
According to Propellerhead it needs 10.1 or above. It may work on previous versions but i cannot guarantee that, so i thought it best to be cautious.

buddard
RE Developer

16 Dec 2018

nickb523 wrote:
16 Dec 2018
buddard wrote:
16 Dec 2018
According to Propellerhead it needs 10.1 or above. It may work on previous versions but i cannot guarantee that, so i thought it best to be cautious.
It depends on which SDK version you used to build the RE:

SDK 2.2 --> Reason 7.1 or later
SDK 2.5 --> Reason 9.2 or later
SDK 3.0 --> Reason 10.1 or later

Congrats on the release by the way! :)

• Information