Announcing Quad Note Generator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 28
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 24 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
24 Dec 2018
mjxl wrote:
24 Dec 2018
Basically all the orange Kbobs will change patterns, shift pitch up and down and do note length/velocity.
If you keep all the Vary knobs on 0, the pattern you will program will not change over time.
To clarify, you don't "define" or "program" patterns. You set the Base Key and the Range. But you can't actually "program" any note patters, and you can only select from the 32 built in rhythm patterns. But the thing is, I find it very versatile despite this, and don't see it as a limitation at all.

I DO see the use of a device that takes your original pattern and generates variations on it, like a random patch generator/morpher can do for patches - but that would be a totally different device IMO.
Well the 32 patterns is what you define, right? :P
I mean they are the same every single time, so i basically treated them regular patterns. Only when you mix in the variations they become something else, if you don't rub the orange knobs it will still be a "pattern player" in my eyes.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7464
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 24 Dec 2018

mjxl wrote: Well the 32 patterns is what you define, right? :P
I mean they are the same every single time, so i basically treated them regular patterns. Only when you mix in the variations they become something else, if you don't rub the orange knobs it will still be a "pattern player" in my eyes.
Yes, you define or better yet “select” the pattern. I just meant to clarify you don’t get to program the patterns yourself (as you can do with devices such as Matrix etc.) since they are already programmed. ;)


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 28
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 24 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
24 Dec 2018
mjxl wrote: Well the 32 patterns is what you define, right? :P
I mean they are the same every single time, so i basically treated them regular patterns. Only when you mix in the variations they become something else, if you don't rub the orange knobs it will still be a "pattern player" in my eyes.
Yes, you define or better yet “select” the pattern. I just meant to clarify you don’t get to program the patterns yourself (as you can do with devices such as Matrix etc.) since they are already programmed. ;)


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Gotcha :D

Jowe79
Posts: 54
Joined: 17 Aug 2016

Post 25 Dec 2018

Thank you guys!!!!

DonnieAlan
Posts: 211
Joined: 25 Jan 2017

Post 26 Dec 2018

Will Quad Note work with 9.5, or do you have to have 10 or higher? I can't find that info anywhere on the product page.
What about for the Drum Sequencer?

Thanks

User avatar
buddard
Posts: 497
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 27 Dec 2018

DonnieAlan wrote:
26 Dec 2018
Will Quad Note work with 9.5, or do you have to have 10 or higher? I can't find that info anywhere on the product page.
What about for the Drum Sequencer?

Thanks
Both QNG and Drum Sequencer require Reason 10.1 or later.

User avatar
FGL
Posts: 291
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 03 Jan 2019

This device needs definitely a halftime button or switch. With four rows it is mostly too fast. A cool groove about 90 Bpm seems impossible.

User avatar
KirkMarkarian
Posts: 257
Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post 03 Jan 2019

FGL wrote:
03 Jan 2019
This device needs definitely a halftime button or switch. With four rows it is mostly too fast. A cool groove about 90 Bpm seems impossible.
You can change the pace of each row by clicking on the 1/16th note option and changing it to 1/8th, 1/4, etc. The length of the notes isn't affected unless you change that as well. Still, it'll be semi-random (if you're using the "vary" knob), but at least it'll be a different pace :D

I use the QNG mainly for controlling Beat ChoppRE for glitch patterns versus an endless stream of notes, because it's activated by note data, either CV or piano roll. Since I don't want to calculate my glitches (it's not random if I use the piano roll), I use the QNG to trigger the glitches. I love that I can use the varying note lengths as well, so I can get not only random glitches, but random glitch lengths. Really nails that Max/MSP kinda effect. Before QNG, I used KRON to trigger the Beat ChoppRE, but it was not quite as controllable. QNG and Kompulsion make for a really nice team when I want to create really eclectic electronic music.

User avatar
FGL
Posts: 291
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 03 Jan 2019

Yes, I checked this out before. But this shortens the pattern. It plays only 3 or 4 Events with that. Could be it is as complex like the long Pattern, but I can't see it. And I can't freeze a longer part.

fretshot7
Posts: 79
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 11 Jan 2019

time is up if you started a trial around release time, anyone actually bought this player yet? I havn't yet kinda sitting on the fence $100ish aus dollars seems expensive id buy it for $40.

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 28
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 13 Jan 2019

I've bought it yeah, it's neat toy to play with :D

Also combine this with other players (even stock ones like note echo) to get WAYYY more happy accidents.

fretshot7
Posts: 79
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 13 Jan 2019

mjxl wrote:
13 Jan 2019
I've bought it yeah, it's neat toy to play with :D

Also combine this with other players (even stock ones like note echo) to get WAYYY more happy accidents.
i did like it and got some decent results, but like I say im finding it hard to pony up for it... :|

kinkujin
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Mar 2018

Post 14 Jan 2019

Rent-to-Own please.

And, can you "swing" the results? Thanks.

CrunkNationEnt
Posts: 86
Joined: 28 Apr 2015

Post 14 Jan 2019

Agreed! Why is this not available on RTO? :puf_unhappy:
kinkujin wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Rent-to-Own please.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], korsun and 0 guests