Announcing Quad Note Generator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1074
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 10 Dec 2018

Is there a way to create some kind of a seed idea (1 bar melody) and lock (in %) the variations from it (via CV)?
The concept is great, but I still want my musical DNA as a base. Maybe it's there and I'll have to read the manual one day.

Hmm Kompulsion.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 519
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 11 Dec 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:My one wish for this machine would be to have the ability to choose the notes that it picks right on the front panel, not by connecting another device. Say I want C, E, G, and A. Like some other devices, put a little blue keyboard on the front and lemme pick the notes. That way, no musical notes that clash. I don't always want the full scale.
Have you tried Midimadness 3, I think you can select what notes to be included in the randomization.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
KirkMarkarian
Posts: 292
Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post 11 Dec 2018

Boombastix wrote:
11 Dec 2018
KirkMarkarian wrote:My one wish for this machine would be to have the ability to choose the notes that it picks right on the front panel, not by connecting another device. Say I want C, E, G, and A. Like some other devices, put a little blue keyboard on the front and lemme pick the notes. That way, no musical notes that clash. I don't always want the full scale.
Have you tried Midimadness 3, I think you can select what notes to be included in the randomization.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I haven't, and because it is a VST, I won't use it. I've never had any good experiences with VSTs - been working with them since their humble beginnings. Every time I try them, they crash themselves, on every computer I've used, both PCs and Macs. Also, My computer doesn't handle VSTs well, but it rocks with Rack Extensions - to a point. My other posts describe my computer and it's weaknesses in today's modern age (7 year old computer, wanna buy me a new one?) :D

Kompulsion takes care of me in places that QNG doesn't, where QNG shines for me is as a fantastic driver for my beat choppers. Works better than me guessing where to tune LFOs to hit the notes that are required for triggering the beat choppers, or inputting notes on a piano-roll.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7678
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 11 Dec 2018

rcbuse wrote: Thats right, you would think I would know that.
Congrats on a fantastic device, BTW!


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7678
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 11 Dec 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:Is there a way to create some kind of a seed idea (1 bar melody) and lock (in %) the variations from it (via CV)?
The concept is great, but I still want my musical DNA as a base. Maybe it's there and I'll have to read the manual one day.
I like that idea - sort of like a randomizer/morpher for a melody instead of for patches?

I’d love something like that - put in a seed melody and it spits out variations on the idea with user controls for melodic vs rhythmic variation on the original (and the ability to ‘freeze’ at any point when you find something you like).

Seems like something right up the Panda’s alley?!?


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
challism
Posts: 1488
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
11 Dec 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:Is there a way to create some kind of a seed idea (1 bar melody) and lock (in %) the variations from it (via CV)?
The concept is great, but I still want my musical DNA as a base. Maybe it's there and I'll have to read the manual one day.
I like that idea - sort of like a randomizer/morpher for a melody instead of for patches?

I’d love something like that - put in a seed melody and it spits out variations on the idea with user controls for melodic vs rhythmic variation on the original (and the ability to ‘freeze’ at any point when you find something you like).

Seems like something right up the Panda’s alley?!?


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Seems like a feature that could be added to this device, if the Panda was so inclined? We love you Rob!

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1142
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Dec 2018

Hmmm after a few days' trial I'm surprised to be not really feeling this one, at least not enough to fork out $69 when I already have plenty of RND/CVPT/PSQ-1684 exploring to do

It's fun and intuitive and easy to use, and I love the idea of this sort of device, but something is lacking - hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, maybe I need to play with it more. Just feels like Quad is a step in the right direction, but the One Player To Rule Them All hasn't yet appeared in the shop

Suggestions for improvement: the ability to freeze more than one zone at a time

User avatar
challism
Posts: 1488
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Dec 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Dec 2018
the One Player To Rule Them All hasn't yet appeared in the shop
Thank God for the ability to stack players!

User avatar
rcbuse
Posts: 875
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: SR388

Post 12 Dec 2018

I feel compelled to state that the propellerheads did the concept and design of the QNG. I merely implemented their grand vision. As fantastic as it is, I don't want people thinking I dreamed this one up. Credit where it is due.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 892
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 12 Dec 2018

rcbuse wrote:
12 Dec 2018
I feel compelled to state that the propellerheads did the concept and design of the QNG. I merely implemented their grand vision. As fantastic as it is, I don't want people thinking I dreamed this one up. Credit where it is due.
And here I was thinking this was your baby and Propellerhead gave it a nice GUI, lol. Either way love the collaboration and hope to see more down the road.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 892
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 12 Dec 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Dec 2018
Just feels like Quad is a step in the right direction, but the One Player To Rule Them All hasn't yet appeared in the shop.
This makes me cringe. The thought of one huge bloated Player device does not sound appealing IMO. Embrace the modularity!

MrFigg
Posts: 2075
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 12 Dec 2018

I’m not in the fence any more (at least not to day). I haven’t trialed any REs before purchase in the past 5 or 6 years for some reason. But I trialed this and Rotor. Saved myself €94. Yeah. I think QNG is really cool and does sound nice but I still can only get dadada da da dada da and deediddleiddlede dee dee da out of it so I don’t think it’s anything I’d use a lot. That said it’s still a cool RE and successfuly does what it says on the box

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1448
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
12 Dec 2018
I think QNG is really cool and does sound nice but I still can only get dadada da da dada da and deediddleiddlede dee dee da out of it so I don’t think it’s anything I’d use a lot. That said it’s still a cool RE and successful does what it says on the box
Okay I'll concede. I agree with this. Having a lot of fun. Beyond that I feel like I'm having to try hard to make it sound different from everything else I'm hearing it do. It can for sure. But It's like I'm wrestling with it to make it sound more interesting. Initially it had the wow factor. That's kind of gone now as I struggle to move beyond the da da da dee da ......... everyone knows what we mean! You fire this up and it sounds a certain way most of the time. That's the issue with this Player for me. I can't play it. It's playing me! :?
Last edited by Faastwalker on 12 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

mmm
Posts: 6
Joined: 16 Oct 2018

Post 12 Dec 2018

It´s a great device for inspiration. I am really impressed with it. The freeze function is really nice for live use. With the euclidean algorythm you can use the device to generate rhytmic patterns fairly quick. And let´s not forget that it is always possible to copy the notes to track and edit them further. Personally, i am more of an engineer than a musician and find it really hard to find inspiration sometimes and for that kind of purpose this device really shines...... A happy customer X

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1074
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
11 Dec 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:Is there a way to create some kind of a seed idea (1 bar melody) and lock (in %) the variations from it (via CV)?
The concept is great, but I still want my musical DNA as a base. Maybe it's there and I'll have to read the manual one day.
I like that idea - sort of like a randomizer/morpher for a melody instead of for patches?

I’d love something like that - put in a seed melody and it spits out variations on the idea with user controls for melodic vs rhythmic variation on the original (and the ability to ‘freeze’ at any point when you find something you like).

Seems like something right up the Panda’s alley?!?


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
The device would stay silent until you input your melody/seed. More like a Step Note Recorder III or IV by Robotic Bean?
Even if you make beats by looping samples from youtube you still need to work it out to make it your own timing, pitch, FX, etc, etc. Your own DNA.
The description of the device spitting out "diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee" TM reminds me of this http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~huberty/math5 ... igits.html
This thread is about Quad Note Generator, so I'll stay :ugeek:

WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1697
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 12 Dec 2018

In case anyone is interested, here are 6 combi patches I made for QNG. They use Grain, Pangea, Klang, Humana, Radical Piano and NN-XT (plus lots of effects). They're all in C minor or dorian, so they can even be played together (except "Phrygian Grain Pad", which is in phrygian obviously). They sound best at a tempo of around 90. Most of them use the trick of "disabling" the player stream by using a dummy device, and only using the outputs on the back to control several instruments at a time. All combi buttons and knobs are used. Thank you Panda and PH!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7cgvvubwfo3o ... S.zip?dl=0

fretshot7
Posts: 182
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 12 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Bixbambi wrote:
06 Dec 2018
I tested with CV Player Tap but it does not work. (Or, I do not know how to do it .. it's possible.)
Works here. I used Combis instead of actual instruments, but logic is the same. Once you have this set up and the sequence frozen, just set the loop brackets in sequencer and press "Send to Track" on each CV Player Tap - it will add new MIDI clip on corresponding tracks.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1utuM9 ... ch0sh2M7ia
Hey thanks for this!

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7678
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Dec 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:The device would stay silent until you input your melody/seed. More like a Step Note Recorder III or IV by Robotic Bean?
Even if you make beats by looping samples from youtube you still need to work it out to make it your own timing, pitch, FX, etc, etc. Your own DNA.
The description of the device spitting out "diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee" TM reminds me of this http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~huberty/math5 ... igits.html
This thread is about Quad Note Generator, so I'll stay :ugeek:
Sounds a little like Marbles (Eurorack hardware), though I’ve not had any hands-on time with it:
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/marbles/


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1074
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 13 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
13 Dec 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:The device would stay silent until you input your melody/seed. More like a Step Note Recorder III or IV by Robotic Bean?
Even if you make beats by looping samples from youtube you still need to work it out to make it your own timing, pitch, FX, etc, etc. Your own DNA.
The description of the device spitting out "diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee" TM reminds me of this http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~huberty/math5 ... igits.html
This thread is about Quad Note Generator, so I'll stay :ugeek:
Sounds a little like Marbles (Eurorack hardware), though I’ve not had any hands-on time with it:
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/marbles/


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Thx for the links.
Long, long before the QNG, this as Re was my little dream. I find the results very inspiring. Some demos on YT.
http://www.future-retro.com/products.ht ... category=0

The Zillion is a single track algorithmic MIDI sequencer based on the principles of the Triadex Muse. The Muse used counters and a shift register to generate more than a million musical melodies.
The Zillion expands on these ideas to add more features and functionality, providing a zillion possibilities for you to discov
er.

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 255
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 23 Dec 2018

My boss was like, here's some money because you did things this month, so i went like, here's some money Propheads, because you did this QNG thing :P
Also bought Kompulsion because i wanted it, and all the Lectric Panda stuff needs to be with me..

Loving both so far, have to grind a bit coming 2 weeks (no work yay \o/ )
:reason: 10+ :re:

Jowe79
Posts: 56
Joined: 17 Aug 2016

Post 24 Dec 2018

Hello !, I have a doubt with this rack extension ... is the way the melodies are generated 100% random? Or can I choose a pattern created by myself that is not always chosen by the quick Note generator? Can be done? How would it be done? Thank you very much! Regards Jordi

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 255
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 24 Dec 2018

Jowe79 wrote:
24 Dec 2018
Hello !, I have a doubt with this rack extension ... is the way the melodies are generated 100% random? Or can I choose a pattern created by myself that is not always chosen by the quick Note generator? Can be done? How would it be done? Thank you very much! Regards Jordi
You define a pattern (or well, up to 4 patterns) which you can then randomize, or not.
It depends on you what you do with it, it's not just random notes at all times.
:reason: 10+ :re:

Jowe79
Posts: 56
Joined: 17 Aug 2016

Post 24 Dec 2018

How i make for not randomize notes? What knob is?

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 255
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 24 Dec 2018

Basically all the orange Kbobs will change patterns, shift pitch up and down and do note length/velocity.
If you keep all the Vary knobs on 0, the pattern you will program will not change over time.
QNG2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:reason: 10+ :re:

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7678
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 24 Dec 2018

mjxl wrote:
24 Dec 2018
Basically all the orange Kbobs will change patterns, shift pitch up and down and do note length/velocity.
If you keep all the Vary knobs on 0, the pattern you will program will not change over time.
To clarify, you don't "define" or "program" patterns. You set the Base Key and the Range. But you can't actually "program" any note patters, and you can only select from the 32 built in rhythm patterns. But the thing is, I find it very versatile despite this, and don't see it as a limitation at all.

I DO see the use of a device that takes your original pattern and generates variations on it, like a random patch generator/morpher can do for patches - but that would be a totally different device IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests