Announcing Quad Note Generator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
MattiasHG
Posts: 206
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 04 Dec 2018

Hey ReasonTalk, we've got a new thing out! I'm cross-posting my blog post:

--
I'm very happy to announce that Quad Note Generator, our new Player Rack Extension, is now available in the Propellerhead Shop. Designed by Propellerhead and developed by our friend Lectric Panda, this device is all about generating ideas with more or less controlled unpredictability. In other words, we wanted it to feel like having a box of new ideas in the Reason rack.



If that sounds a bit geeky, it's because it is! We were inspired by interesting sequencing concepts in modular systems, but also tried and true algorithms like Euclidian rhythms. Things that let you give up some control of your music, and in return be pleasantly surprised at the result. Don't worry though, it's actually quite simple. If it's one thing that surprised us it's how easy it is to stumble upon an idea that works, even if you don't know what you're doing.

Within the first week of testing, PropellerHQ was filled with all kinds of generated music: funky clavinet lines, acid bass lines, abstract musique concréte, meandering piano harmonies, ambient soundscapes and bubbly synth lines. In fact, Stefan now has a habit of setting up a Reason rack with a few Quad Note Generators in the morning and then listening to the result while he works—that's 8 hours.

Ludvig, who designed the Player, found a great balance between control and happy accidents while Rob at Lectric Panda did a fantastic job putting it all together. I really think this is one of the most useful and inspiring devices we have ever made. I hope you'll agree!

botnotbot
Posts: 127
Joined: 26 Oct 2017

Post 04 Dec 2018

This looks amazing :O

Thanks and congratulations to Props and Lectric Panda for the best looking player yet!

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 1813
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

Post 04 Dec 2018

Badass! It's cool that you guys are working with Lectric Panda..

Can't wait to dive into all the new players once I upgrade to Reason 11 whenever that comes out.
whoahh

Last edited by aeox on 24 May 2018, edited too many times in total.

User avatar
Karim
Posts: 741
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Italy

Post 04 Dec 2018

With this new player.... Let's make the pluck big again! :puf_bigsmile: :cool:
Karim Le Mec : Dj / Producer / Video Editor / Label Owner /Reason User since 2000 ( R10)
△ FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://www.facebook.com/karimlemec
https://www.mixcloud.com/lemecdj/

MrFigg
Posts: 744
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 04 Dec 2018

Watching the video I thought hmm just another arpeggiator. Then I thought hmm just another matrix. Then for every second that passed I thought woah!!!!! Cool cool cool. Gotta get. Like now!!! Looks totally brilliant. :):):).

User avatar
MattiasHG
Posts: 206
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 04 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
04 Dec 2018
Watching the video I thought hmm just another arpeggiator. Then I thought hmm just another matrix. Then for every second that passed I thought woah!!!!! Cool cool cool. Gotta get. Like now!!! Looks totally brilliant. :):):).
Thanks for that! It's a device that really grows on you too. When you start getting familiar with the controls, it can make all kinds of cool stuff and you feel more and more in control. :ugeek:

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 1813
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

Post 04 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
04 Dec 2018
Watching the video I thought hmm just another arpeggiator. Then I thought hmm just another matrix. Then for every second that passed I thought woah!!!!! Cool cool cool. Gotta get. Like now!!! Looks totally brilliant. :):):).
That's funny because I experience the same thoughts! It's good to be skeptical and not completely fanboy over everything they release.. this one seems to be a winner though.
whoahh

Last edited by aeox on 24 May 2018, edited too many times in total.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1400
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 04 Dec 2018

Panda + Props?! Well I'll be damned <3
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 @ Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1400
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 04 Dec 2018

No intro price? I'm gonna shoot myself in the knee if it gets discounted in few days/weeks.
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 @ Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
MattiasHG
Posts: 206
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 04 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Dec 2018
No intro price? I'm gonna shoot myself in the knee if it gets discounted in few days/weeks.
We just had a huuuuge sale, so that's quite unlikely. :)

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1400
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 04 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
04 Dec 2018
antic604 wrote:
04 Dec 2018
No intro price? I'm gonna shoot myself in the knee if it gets discounted in few days/weeks.
We just had a huuuuge sale, so that's quite unlikely. :)
Oh, I'm well aware of that. Thanks :D
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 @ Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1095
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 04 Dec 2018

Oh yeah! Right up my street. Try Try Try :)

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1400
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 04 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
04 Dec 2018
We just had a huuuuge sale, so that's quite unlikely. :)
BTW, I see you're not hiding anymore how sharp the GUI looks in close-ups (Umpfs & Europa had a mixture of sharp AND current, low-res blocky footage). Fingers crossed 4K, GPU-accelerated GUI comes out with v11! ;) :D
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 @ Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 4202
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 04 Dec 2018

I ! ! ! LIKE ! ! ! DAT ! ! !

Did you guys saw that animal on the backside? And that connections on the backside?
2018-12-04 11_31_21-Announcing Quad Note Generator - ReasonTalk.com.png
2018-12-04 11_35_10-Announcing Quad Note Generator - ReasonTalk back.com.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1400
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 04 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
04 Dec 2018
2018-12-04 11_35_10-Announcing Quad Note Generator - ReasonTalk back.com.png
Was wondering about those "To oscillator pitch CV" outputs - which devices would those be? :o :?

Some things that I'd like to see in possible future revision:
- legato notes to have glide/portamento when using mono-synths (whn notes overlap)
- since every line has its own color, it would be awesome if the GUI parts for Pitch and Rhythm got adequate shading / tint
- editing of the notes in the 'frozen' zone
- snapshots (like patterns in Drum Sequencer) that would store a state - settings - of the whole device and allow to switch between say 8 of them on the fly,



BTW, @Props please release your stuff by the end of the day. I'm sitting here at work trying to do stuff, but I can't because I'm stupidly excited about the creative possibilities of this device! :D
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 @ Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
MattiasHG
Posts: 206
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 04 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
04 Dec 2018
2018-12-04 11_35_10-Announcing Quad Note Generator - ReasonTalk back.com.png
Was wondering about those "To oscillator pitch CV" outputs - which devices would those be? :o :?

Some things that I'd like to see in possible future revision:
- legato notes to have glide/portamento when using mono-synths (whn notes overlap)
- since every line has its own color, it would be awesome if the GUI parts for Pitch and Rhythm got adequate shading / tint
- editing of the notes in the 'frozen' zone
- snapshots (like patterns in Drum Sequencer) that would store a state - settings - of the whole device and allow to switch between say 8 of them on the fly,


BTW, @Props please release your stuff by the end of the day. I'm sitting here at work trying to do stuff, but I can't because I'm stupidly excited about the creative possibilities of this device! :D
Oscillator pitch CV outputs work well with many semi-modular REs and devices, like Thor, where you can route a pitch directly to an oscillator via mod matrix or CV input.

Regarding legato notes, you can't send portamento via MIDI. Instead it's the synth that sets that. In other words, simply use a poly pattern on a mono synth and put portamento on the mono synth and it'll work like you say. :)

We stayed away from editing of notes since you can already bounce your result to the sequencer and work hard. However, there are some hidden commands to "let notes in" to the freeze zone. Shift+click lets the chosen note lane re-write things in the frozen area, shift+alt+click lets all note lanes re-write things. You can use that to just change one note on one lane by clicking when it arrives at that note.

Mor1
Posts: 17
Joined: 29 Nov 2015
Location: Athens greece

Post 04 Dec 2018

Hi Mattias!
With this new player can we mimic the ableton session view procedure?

User avatar
MattiasHG
Posts: 206
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 04 Dec 2018

Mor1 wrote:
04 Dec 2018
Hi Mattias!
With this new player can we mimic the ableton session view procedure?
No, I wouldn't say that. Session View is a great performance and composition tool and quite a bit deeper, this is still a device you attach to instruments. What you can do though, speaking of live performance, is set up a bunch of these in various configurations, turn them on/off and use the Master Vary to live perform changes.

Yonatan
Posts: 642
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 04 Dec 2018

What a nice surprise. I´ve been waiting for such player device. Will try out for sure. Would love it to be added to the reward shop. :)
Reason for all Seasons

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1400
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 04 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
04 Dec 2018
Oscillator pitch CV outputs work well with many semi-modular REs and devices, like Thor, where you can route a pitch directly to an oscillator via mod matrix or CV input.

Regarding legato notes, you can't send portamento via MIDI. Instead it's the synth that sets that. In other words, simply use a poly pattern on a mono synth and put portamento on the mono synth and it'll work like you say. :)

We stayed away from editing of notes since you can already bounce your result to the sequencer and work hard. However, there are some hidden commands to "let notes in" to the freeze zone. Shift+click lets the chosen note lane re-write things in the frozen area, shift+alt+click lets all note lanes re-write things. You can use that to just change one note on one lane by clicking when it arrives at that note.
Thanks for the feedback & the tips! :thumbs_up:
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 @ Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Mor1
Posts: 17
Joined: 29 Nov 2015
Location: Athens greece

Post 04 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
04 Dec 2018
Mor1 wrote:
04 Dec 2018
Hi Mattias!
With this new player can we mimic the ableton session view procedure?
No, I wouldn't say that. Session View is a great performance and composition tool and quite a bit deeper, this is still a device you attach to instruments. What you can do though, speaking of live performance, is set up a bunch of these in various configurations, turn them on/off and use the Master Vary to live perform changes.
I see Mattias well thank you for the fast response!!
Pretty nice device i will test it!!

User avatar
rcbuse
Posts: 815
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: SR388

Post 04 Dec 2018

Woooo yea! Nice to see it released. Nice video and awesome manual!

User avatar
pothole
Posts: 122
Joined: 17 Aug 2016
Location: Ireland

Post 04 Dec 2018

is there a competition to win a copy?

Hydrosonic
Posts: 71
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 04 Dec 2018

HOW FKN MUCH!!!!????!!!! Go stuff it in your Christmas Turkey Propellerhead!

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1400
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 04 Dec 2018

Hydrosonic wrote:
04 Dec 2018
Christmas Turkey
Is this a thing? I thought it's a Thanksgiving tradition? :o

Also, behave. No one forces you to buy it :P
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 @ Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Steedus and 7 guests