RE user or RE collector?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

Sometimes I’m not sure which category I lie in these days. I’m getting better I think now that I’ve realised I can do nearly everything with what I’ve already got. But sometimes...well I don’t know what happens with my thought process. Take for example the Kuassa fx. I had everything but the distortions. Yeah I could have bought maybe just one of them and been done but then my Kuassa “collection” wouldn’t be complete. Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad I did buy them all as they’re great but maybe you understand what I’m getting at. Was pretty much the same thinking with Uhbik back in the early days of REs. Yeah...I’m better than I was but that collectors mentality is still strong. I see it myself and at the end of the day only I can fix it. Just wondered if anyone else recognizes the behavior in themselves. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Wickline

25 Nov 2018

Don’t label me man haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

rgdaniel

25 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
25 Nov 2018
Just wondered if anyone else recognizes the behavior in themselves. :).
Hell ya. And not just REs. Historically, I've always had to have all the records by this artist, or all the books by that author, etc. Or all the toppings on that pizza... :puf_smile: I call it my addictive personality disorder. I'm doing much better these days, quit smoking years ago, lost a bunch of weight recently. And my book and record collecting is far less intrusive in the digital age. Just add a hard drive, and you're good! I told myself (and my wife) I was showing admirable restraint this Propellerheads Black Friday Sale, but still managed to spend almost three hundred bucks. Oh well, she just bought a new Cuisinart for more than that, so it's all relative! :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

Same here with books and records. Last 6 months I’ve bought more vinyl and CDs than I care to mention. Good ones but...well you know :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

25 Nov 2018

Not me man.
There’a at least one item (sometimes more!) from Selig, Jiggery and Kuassa that I don’t own. Just recently gave away 500 books and one of my drumkits.
I totally got this one, bro. You’re thinking of someone else…
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

motuscott wrote:
25 Nov 2018
Not me man.
There’a at least one item (sometimes more!) from Selig, Jiggery and Kuassa that I don’t own. Just recently gave away 500 books and one of my drumkits.
I totally got this one, bro. You’re thinking of someone else…
Ha ha :). Keep the faith man.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Noplan
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

Don`t be sad. A stamp collector also does not write as many letters as he has stamps. ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

Noplan wrote:
25 Nov 2018
Don`t be sad. A stamp collector also does not write as many letters as he has stamps. ;)
I have 15 tins of tomatoes in my kitchen cupboard.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ahornberg

25 Nov 2018

RE user and RE collector!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

Well I don't usually "buy them all" just to complete a collection. I have plenty of REs though. But overall I would say I'm more of a RE user than a collector. Especially now. No need for unnecessary clutter in my rack.

Sometimes I intentionally pick my least used REs just because I feel like I have to justify my purchase. :lol: Otherwise I feel a bit guilty.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Nov 2018

Sometimes I intentionally pick my least used REs just because I feel like I have to justify my purchase. :lol: Otherwise I feel a bit guilty.
I do that too and every time I do I grow to hate Hydronexius and Aquios just a little bit more.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
25 Nov 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Nov 2018

I do that too and every time I do I grow to hate Hydronexius and Aquios just a little bit more.
Yeah I know what you mean. I've done the same with Hydronexious too. I mean it's not terrible or anything, it's just not very good. So I don't even try with it anymore :lol:

hurricane
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Nov 2018
MrFigg wrote:
25 Nov 2018

Yeah I know what you mean. I've done the same with Hydronexious too. I mean it's not terrible or anything, it's just not very good. So I don't even try with it anymore :lol:
I paid full price for Hydronexious. It's the worst purchase I've ever made in my entire life.

I've been collecting tape decks of all kinds and am now up to 12 I think. Along with that comes cassettes, and since I'm only interested in cassettes from the 80s it's kind of an addicting obsession trying to find these hidden treasures in 2nd hand shops. I've also been collecting blank cassettes of which I have over 100 now.

THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS AND I'VE MADE ZERO MUSIC. :shock:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

cognitive

25 Nov 2018

cognitive

25 Nov 2018

I have it down to where my cash outlay is MUCH less than it used to be. I'm more patient about waiting for sales on REs that I want. I planned ahead for Black Friday and picked up a couple of Lectric Panda REs and Noise Engineering's Synth Bundle 2.

But I also have MANY REs that never make it into projects, especially the "rompler" style synths. Seems good on paper, thousands of sounds at your fingertips, but in practice, they mostly come across as packaged, pre-produced and a bit sterile. Other than playing around with them for a bit to initially explore some sounds, they just sit there gathering electronic dust. I've managed to snag some of these at extreme sale prices, some almost free, but even so, they are kind of wasted purchases because I have so much power at my disposal with the more synth-y synths I already use.

My go-to synths these days are The Legend, Europa, eXpanse, with sides of Grain and Thor. Noise Engineering's REs from Bundle 1 have made their way into recent projects as well. These are MORE than enough for my needs in terms of tone generation, plus I've been using the Noise Engineering stuff for synthesized drum sounds too.

And let's not get started on my effects REs. I have enough EQ and dynamics REs to start a virtual music store, but in practice, I always go to the same ones. Pulverizer, RE-2A, Selig ColoringEQ, Selig Leveler, Kratos Maximizer, and kiloHearts kHs Filter, most often used as a quick high-pass filter to tame too-busy low end on individual tracks.

Looking back on it, I could have saved myself a bit of money if I had "known then what I know now" about what I would and wouldn't use.

scratchnsnifff

25 Nov 2018

I’m a user that likes to collect.
Partially because I become a fan of someone’s work and partially because I’ll always find a use for the extra synths

I like making wavetables by taking and mixing oscillators and wavetables. Rob papens quad is amazing for wavetable creation. It’s cos 1/2 phase distortion settings with its octave 1/2/3 settings make enough of a change that it ends up being a wave table type of sound :D

It mainly depends on how you use your tools, even the ones that you think might be clutter. One day you might be surprised at a $39 May madness steal
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

i learn something new from each RE but i don't use every RE in every track. infact there are some that i use over and over and others that just sit on the shelves like my old highschool text books. but as with my old textbooks i do pull them out every now and again and find new things to learn from them so i'm happy with my life choices and i hope you can be too
- Certified Reason expert

Oquasec

25 Nov 2018

Using RE is smart to me. tons of plugins that is basically hardware not taking up any room in my room.
So Ima just plug Reason up to fl studio & keep it there
Last edited by Oquasec on 26 Nov 2018, edited 2 times in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Reasonable man

26 Nov 2018

I just looked in the noise engineering thread :!:

images.jpg
images.jpg (8.01 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
index.jpg
index.jpg (13.68 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
k5br14.jpg
k5br14.jpg (41.39 KiB) Viewed 2595 times

emilng

26 Nov 2018

Last year I spent a ton on REs. This Black Friday sale I only picked up the Noise Engineering Synth Bundle 2 mainly because my music budget has shifted to hardware. Stay away from modular synths if you know you have an addictive personality. The GAS is real.

Nielsen

26 Nov 2018

I'm a user. Otherwise I would have purchased every product in Propellerhead's A-List series, but so far I'm fine with the ones that suit my needs. I could almost say the same for the family of effect devices by Synapse.

GRB

26 Nov 2018

Great topic! Sooner or later you start to realize you are not alone on this ;)

Through the years I've tried several DAWs (among others: Cakewalk (ages ago was a midi editor, not specifically a DAW), Reaper and FL Studio more recently) then after trying several plugins and not getting to make almost any music at all I've started to look at Reason, never though of it before due to its price, proprietary format (RE) and lack of VST support.

This VST issue changed about a year ago, so six month ago I got Reason 10 (including Europa and Drum Sequencer) with a reduced price and it completely changed for good my music making workflow. Now I want to get home as soon as possible to load Reason and start making something, no other music software was able to do that except for the trackers in AMIGA (Sound and Protracker, back in the late 80s :)

Since I got Reason 10 I've tried to see/understand every Reason related tutorials/tips/reviews out there and then try it to replicate every step on my own.

Thats a learning method that works for me also in other disciplines (programming) but also leads to think that in order to achieve such knowledge you must have most RE used and then you inevitably make some mistakes...

This way I can tell, from a Reason newbie point of view, that Propellerheads videos and streams are very well made and you will want to buy some stuff you see there (I did).

After seeing most A-List tutorials and trialed I've waited to a sale and got most of them (both Drummer and Guitarist bundles) I really enjoy spice up tracks with those sounds.

Same way goes for Layers, both editions are romplers with nice sounds and a quick way to start musical ideas, at least for me. Also got UMPF Club Drums although now I sometimes prefer click beat by beat, the new UMPF Retro Beats its such a strange thing to me. In my young years I've tried to get the nicer sounds, crispy DX7 bells, also cleaning the head cassette decks most of the time and adjust bias just to gain a little bit of treble and now that we have clean sound we try to add noise also muffling everything :)

Paul Ortiz have great tutorials (Youtube and Groove3), it explains everything quickly and clearly, he probably set his own speak-speed bpm to 2x but it gets to the point :) He showed me Pump and I immediately bought it, best purchase ever, also I've bought Jackbox L1MDRum to get along with some tuts and then realize, although is not the same, that I can get the samples elsewhere and use them in Kong.

Adam Fielding tutorials are extremely useful, his several +2 hour long streams on Youtube are something you can't afford to miss IMHO :) Starting from scratch and going step by step he adds layers of sounds and turns a single block or a four bar loop into a full song (that's something that took me several months to achieve and still have issues with).

As a result you'll run to get Korg Polysix, Neutron and also Baffre (but it costs too much for me and it wasn't in this last Black Friday deals).

A special chapter is for Synapse Antidote, I got the Synapse RE Collection on sale and is by far the most used REs (Antidote, The Legend, FAT SPace, Phaser, etc.)

From other tutorials and personal experience you probably find that you can't get enough of Soundcells patches, it is well spent money, increidble sounds. See what Harald Karla makes with it and you know what I'm talking about (check Synapse Demos on SoundCloud - Soul of Antidote and Different Sort are amazing!)

Finally Xfer's Serum and Lennar Digital's Sylenth are among the most acclaimed and once you get your hands on both you'll probably want to get them, both have the most crisp and clear sound you can get. I got them on a Rent-to-Own basis and its doing fine, small monthly price and eventually you'll be the owner, nice policy recently adopted by PH too.

In my experience you need a few months to learn the workflow, this cames from making music and doing tutorials, experimenting, playing around, doing covers of music you like or just getting inspired by some instruments presets.

Then inevitably you'll make some bad/unnecessary purchases but hopefully you slowly learn that even if something is dirty cheap you must avoid certain things (didn't bought Hydronexius and I'm glad of it)

Once you have an understanding of Reason and made a fairly basic setup with some essential instruments/REs, synths, effects, etc. Only then it comes the "I realize that I can do whatever music I want with what already have" and hopefully you'll just spend your time making music instead of browsing for hours in the Props Shop looking for that no-one-must-miss-this-RE :)

BTW, Am I missing something you think its a no brainer not mentioned here thats currently being used by you? :lol:
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

motuscott

27 Nov 2018

Welcome fellow Reason enthusiast!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information