Kuassa distortions: opinions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2018

Hi. I’ve got everything Kuassa except the dist, overdrive and fuzz. I’ve got the Blamsoft distortions bundle. Question is is it worth getting them or is my money just burning a hole in my pocket? I know that I should “get them if I need them. “ but that’s not what I’m asking :). Are they something special compared to other REs of the same type? Thanks if you can advise :).

Edit: Kindly disregard the above. The three have been purchased :):):). Kids can eat porridge for the rest of the week.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Deep Schulzz

21 Nov 2018

I would like to know that, too....

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2018

Deep Schulzz wrote:
21 Nov 2018
I would like to know that, too....
I’ll let you know once I’ve tried them :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

21 Nov 2018

I likes them a lot. When I choose distortion and saturation in the Propshop’s RE page, I haven’t tried most of the other choices there so I can’t compare. Using them as guitar pedal emulations (5 styles within each RE) I am pleased but then I’m not much of a guitarist.
Porridge good!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Undistraction

21 Nov 2018

They feel very natural and much more like guitar pedals rather than digital distortions.

I think they're great. Grab the bundle and the Caliburn and you won't regret it if you are putting a guitar through.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2018

Undistraction wrote:
21 Nov 2018
They feel very natural and much more like guitar pedals rather than digital distortions.

I think they're great. Grab the bundle and the Caliburn and you won't regret it if you are putting a guitar through.
Thanks. I bought them about 5 minutes after I started the thread ha ha. I’m giving Caliburn a miss this time. Got all their other amps.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Undistraction

21 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2018
Undistraction wrote:
21 Nov 2018

Thanks. I bought them about 5 minutes after I started the thread ha ha. I’m giving Caliburn a miss this time. Got all their other amps.
If you haven't tried it, definitely try it. For me it something the others don't (and I like the others very much). It's in the sale at the moment.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2018

I love the Creme Guitar Amp. I've never actually used it for guitar, only played synths through it. But you can basically run any material through it and it will sound metal as f***.

Here's an example. Everything that sounds kind of guitarish are different synths run through the Creme Amp. Listen from 0:35 and forward to hear it in action.

kuhliloach

21 Nov 2018

IMO Kuassa does distortion better than anyone. I'm curious if anyone has an alternative they feel is better. The moment it hit me was when I first tried the distortion in Creme.

Data_Shrine

21 Nov 2018

Are they good on synths too ? I don't play much guitar, let alone record it (I never did)

Loque

22 Nov 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
21 Nov 2018
Are they good on synths too ? I don't play much guitar, let alone record it (I never did)
Depends on the synth sound, so it is good to have several amps, dist, fuzz,... to try them out. I used them on synthetic and I liked it. I also used them on kicks and vocals and liked it.
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

22 Nov 2018

I like them better than the Blamsoft distortion REs, they sound more natural and have a much lower CPU hit

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Nov 2018
I like them better than the Blamsoft distortion REs, they sound more natural and have a much lower CPU hit
Yeah. The CPU usage on the Blamsofts is heavy. There’s a switch on the back for adjusting quality which can reduce DSP if you didn’t already know it was there.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

22 Nov 2018

Yep I know it's there. But the main problem is the quality of the distortion, which usually I find a bit harsh. The DC-9 is OK sometimes but it takes a lot of filtering and futzing around. DC-1 I almost never use, for the same reason. But the Kuassa ones just come straight out of the gate sounding the way I like. All very subjective, and I'm generally a huge fan of Blamsoft REs. Just not those two.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2018

I got the Blamsoft ones basically cos I’ve got their hardware counterparts and also because I got the three of them pretty cheap. I still haven’t gotten around to trying the Kuassas I bought yesterday but I’m expecting great things going by their previous record. :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhutureD

22 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2018
Hi. I’ve got everything Kuassa except the dist, overdrive and fuzz. I’ve got the Blamsoft distortions bundle. Question is is it worth getting them or is my money just burning a hole in my pocket? I know that I should “get them if I need them. “ but that’s not what I’m asking :). Are they something special compared to other REs of the same type? Thanks if you can advise :).

Edit: Kindly disregard the above. The three have been purchased :):):). Kids can eat porridge for the rest of the week.

get it. Its especially fuzz, its good on reverbs , synths , strings , pianos

Undistraction

22 Nov 2018

In case anyone who owns the overdrive missed it, there is, like their amps, an oversampling switch on the back which makes a surprisingly big difference.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2018

Undistraction wrote:
22 Nov 2018
In case anyone who owns the overdrive missed it, there is, like their amps, an oversampling switch on the back which makes a surprisingly big difference.
I missed it. What does it do?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

22 Nov 2018

Increases the oversampling resulting in less artifacts but more CPU strain. I don't really know what that means but I can parrot the knowledgable on the interwebs, can't I?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Data_Shrine

22 Nov 2018

motuscott wrote:
22 Nov 2018
Increases the oversampling resulting in less artifacts but more CPU strain. I don't really know what that means but I can parrot the knowledgable on the interwebs, can't I?
Oversampling will reduce aliasing (harshness in the higher frequencies - I think aliasing turns/squashes the waveform into a square, something like that). If you run your project at 44.1khz, and turn oversampling (2x) on, then it's like this synth/effect is processing audio at 88.2khz instead (sounds much smoother imho)

EdGrip

23 Nov 2018

I trialed the Blamsoft stomp boxes, and didn't get on with them. I tried Kuassa's distortion and loved it - I'll probably grab the fuzz soon, too. And yes, you can use them for all the kinds of synthy things the Prodigy used a DS-1 for in the 90s.

scratchnsnifff

23 Nov 2018

If you are looking for guitar pedal style distortions than this is the thing for you!
I have all but a couple of the distortion modules in the shop, and I personally don’t have much use for the kvassa distortions, the air raid audio distort module is one of my favorites and I think it’s on sale. It has multiple distortion types, and a very cool pre EQ which comes in handy for giving movement without adding another plug-in and having to worry about the placement of EQ/Filter before distortion after the source.

If you like geeeetars then I think you will like these pedal emulations. The overdrive or distortion mode does seem similar to the blamsoft one. Out of the blamsoft models I like the tube one :D it is a great alternative to screams tube mode
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
23 Nov 2018
If you are looking for guitar pedal style distortions than this is the thing for you!
I have all but a couple of the distortion modules in the shop, and I personally don’t have much use for the kvassa distortions, the air raid audio distort module is one of my favorites and I think it’s on sale. It has multiple distortion types, and a very cool pre EQ which comes in handy for giving movement without adding another plug-in and having to worry about the placement of EQ/Filter before distortion after the source.

If you like geeeetars then I think you will like these pedal emulations. The overdrive or distortion mode does seem similar to the blamsoft one. Out of the blamsoft models I like the tube one :D it is a great alternative to screams tube mode
I got ‘em the same day I started this thread :):).
Many years ago I was a real distortion-kid. The more the merrier. Like chaining 4 or 5 with a wah in there too. Big Muffs and Superfuzzes. Young and full of joy. Last 10 years I kind of mellowed. Tired of it all. I built a fuzz with germanium transistors a while ago with a really bright blue LED :):):) but didn’t really enjoy using it. I really like Kuassa and thought that well, they must be good dists. Figured I’d use the overdrive, sometimes the dist and probably never the fuzz. Anyway...I’m really glad I got them. The fuzz is magic. Been Led Zepping it up here since I downloaded them. All good :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dimi

24 Nov 2018

Definitely guitar oriented, but the creativity is limitless :D You can use them as the real hardware - on anything!
Even on the master with a touch of saturation using the DRY-Wet control :)

• Information