Umpf Retro Beats

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MattiasHG
Reason Studios

08 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
08 Nov 2018
Aosta wrote:
07 Nov 2018
Or you could just not buy it and carry on making beats with the virtually unlimited ways available out there.
Sounds like a solid advice, but only on the surface... A company like Props has limited resources, so spending the money on device like this, licensing of samples, creation of GUI, patches, sequences, marketing/video, etc. is taking away from development (coding) of sequencer improvements, high-res GUI, vst and RE performance, enhancements to the SDK for REs... Not only that, but doing devices like those and using behind-the-scenes "tricks" unavailable to 3rd party devs means they need to compete not only with VSTs and eachother, but also with Props. It's simply unfair and potentially harmful.
It's best not to speculate like this, there's a lot of assumptions about how resources, development and revenue works and it's mostly wrong. It gets a bit silly when you're stating things like fact when they're not. I guess most companies wouldn't comment at all, but I'm an old forum user so I get the reply itch! :geek:

Believe me when I say these two things: 1.) making Rack Extensions does not negatively impact our work on the core DAW at all and 2.) we're not using behind-the-scenes tricks to develop our REs. Everything we do with Rack Extensions is using the same SDK and tools that everyone else has access to. :)

antic604

08 Nov 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
08 Nov 2018
It's best not to speculate like this, there's a lot of assumptions about how resources, development and revenue works and it's mostly wrong.
And why do you think that is? Because you - the company, not you personally! - don't really engage in a conversation about what's going on. The only thing where you were open is VST performance, but it was really hard to avoid it with majority of plug-ins running at 80% of efficiency seen in other DAWs and minority at 20-40%... To my knowledge you never acknowledged feature requests with regards to high-res GUI, track folders, track freezing, updated Combinator and/or NN-XT, etc. What's the plan for Reason Compact? Will it stay the cut-down Europa as a means to sell sound packs or are you planning to really develop it into something similar to Korg Gadgets, FL Mobile or Cubasis?

I know where Bitwig's priorities are. Or Ableton's. With Propellerhead all I see is actions focused on squeezing more money out of the user base.

Now I don't mind paying money, but I'd like to have at least a vague idea if I'm not throwing them down the drain...

Creativemind

08 Nov 2018

aeox wrote:
07 Nov 2018
Undistraction wrote:
07 Nov 2018
It's like they've given up trying to do anything original.

Pump out that low-grade product for the fanboys and completists.

I'm guessing they spent more on the promo video than developing the rack extension.
Huge fanboy here. I don't approve of this product :D

Such a let down and wasted opportunity for something great
Yeah update some stock devices - Subtractor 2, Thor 2, Combinator 2, Kong 2, Redrum 2, NN-XT 2, Scales and Chords Player 2.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

madmacman

08 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
08 Nov 2018
I know where Bitwig's priorities are. Or Ableton's.
I seriously doubt this. Or at least: these are not necessarily representative examples. If you are a customer of Cubase or Logic, then things are looking different, again.

And I would never require a company to openly discuss their future plans or their visions. And in this regard Mattias already does more than I ever expect.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

08 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
08 Nov 2018
MattiasHG wrote:
08 Nov 2018
It's best not to speculate like this, there's a lot of assumptions about how resources, development and revenue works and it's mostly wrong.
And why do you think that is? Because you - the company, not you personally! - don't really engage in a conversation about what's going on. The only thing where you were open is VST performance, but it was really hard to avoid it with majority of plug-ins running at 80% of efficiency seen in other DAWs and minority at 20-40%... To my knowledge you never acknowledged feature requests with regards to high-res GUI, track folders, track freezing, updated Combinator and/or NN-XT, etc. What's the plan for Reason Compact? Will it stay the cut-down Europa as a means to sell sound packs or are you planning to really develop it into something similar to Korg Gadgets, FL Mobile or Cubasis?

I know where Bitwig's priorities are. Or Ableton's. With Propellerhead all I see is actions focused on squeezing more money out of the user base.
I don't want to start some kind of argument here, I was just trying to clear up misconceptions and comment on what I perceived as stating untrue facts about Propellerhead. Might've read in to that, not enough coffee in my system. To your point though, it was literally engaging in conversation! I personally take pride in that and try to do it as often as I can, so I hope it's appreciated. I honestly thought it was rare to be able to engage directly with the product manager, but perhaps I'm wrong there. :)

I honestly know very few companies, especially in the music industry, that are open with a road map or engage in a conversation about what's coming up. All this is probably to avoid disappointments, speculation, rampant expectations, changing markets etc. I can't seem to find info on what the next version of Bitwig or Ableton will bring, are you saying that's out there? I'd definitely be interested to see it, professional curiosity and all that. For the record, one of the big exceptions is in the gaming industry which does announce things long, long before they're available. As a gamer for the last 24 years, I've seen that both be great and horrible. :lol:

We've definitely heard and acknowledged the feature requests you mention there and when we say "Thanks for the feedback, we'll take it into consideration!" that is genuine. We track all feedback and it helps us a lot with priorities, and we get that feedback from all kinds of places—including ReasonTalk. The workflow features in the free Reason 10.2 update, VST in Reason 9.5, new synths in Reason 10 and the decision to not do any paid upgrades in 2018 are all results of this.

It is, however, unlikely that we'll say "Yes, we'll do Feature X in Version Y which will be released 20XX" unless it's 100% ready to be announced. I don't think that'll change any time soon. Just to be clear though, I've no problem stating that we'll keep improving the core Reason DAW experience (which seems to be what people around here are worried about), releasing different types of Rack Extensions and more exciting things we're not ready to talk about yet.

Regarding Reason Compact, we (not me personally) have publicly said that we're planning to add more tracks and instruments, this is just the beginning! For example here: https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... n-Compact- but also in social media. :)

Anyway, with all that said, keep sending feedback! Anything Stefan sees in social media he passes on to me and anything I see here I make note of. I've been a Reason user for ages, still am, and I truly do care about making it as good as possible. :reason:
madmacman wrote:
08 Nov 2018
I seriously doubt this. Or at least: these are not necessarily representative examples. If you are a customer of Cubase or Logic, then things are looking different, again.

And I would never require a company to openly discuss their future plans or their visions. And in this regard Mattias already does more than I ever expect.
Thanks! :)

jayhosking

08 Nov 2018

The fact that Mattias chimes in here truly separates Props from the others.

Interesting anecdote: the Maschine team were working on a way to capture live performance information in the sequencer, announced it before it was ready to go, and have spent the last three years hearing their users ask when this feature will be ready, complaining that Maschine doesn’t have its priorities straight. It’s illuminating to watch all this in a different company, and I totally get why Props don’t put out a specific roadmap.

Back to making music!

esselfortium

08 Nov 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
08 Nov 2018
Just to be clear though, I've no problem stating that we'll keep improving the core Reason DAW experience (which seems to be what people around here are worried about), releasing different types of Rack Extensions and more exciting things we're not ready to talk about yet.
and more exciting things we're not ready to talk about yet
**jumping up and down in impatient excitement**
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

koshal

08 Nov 2018

guitfnky wrote:
07 Nov 2018
koshal wrote:
07 Nov 2018
I own Umpf Club Drums but didn't get an email from Props re: crossgrade pricing for this variant...any one else in the same boat?
did you opt out of any of their promotional emails at any point? I missed an offer a year or two ago because I’d opted out of their promo emails. their customer service response gave me instructions on how to opt back in, but by that point it was already too late.
supersplaron wrote:
08 Nov 2018
koshal wrote:
07 Nov 2018
I own Umpf Club Drums but didn't get an email from Props re: crossgrade pricing for this variant...any one else in the same boat?
You are most probably not signed up for the newsletters. Get in touch with support and they will help you out!
Ah yes this was it. I contacted their customer support as advised and they sorted it out within 15 min! Kudos to great customer service from Props on this :puf_bigsmile:

pushedbutton

08 Nov 2018

Nice to hear from you Matti.
The core Reason software is what I care about. As I tried to get across in my last post, it's a matter of 'if you don't like it, don't buy it.' and that's the best thing for everyone in the long run.

Just so you know, $99 is about 10% of a full time workers monthly wage in the UK. In Sweden you get more money and things are more expensive, your stuff is expensive, maybe it would be cheaper if you were based in the UK and had lower overheads.

Just a rough idea, not very scientific, Swedish average wage equates to about $2500 a month, so where we see 10% of monthly earnings, it's not even 5% for the locals.

Reason 9.5 was phenomenal, not perfect, but good enough for people to get a real hunger for how things could be. Reason 10.2 was a bit of a leap of faith for me and I like it but I still feel I could have skipped it without missing out on too much.

So if you're seeing this and you want to know why I have a hair up my butt about all these perceived side projects, it's because the midi ghost lanes, or whatever we're calling them, don't extend to the pitch editor and this is so frustratingly obvious to me that I'd happily buy Reason 11 if that is the only feature you add.
Last edited by pushedbutton on 08 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

koshal

08 Nov 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
08 Nov 2018
antic604 wrote:
08 Nov 2018

I don't want to start some kind of argument here, I was just trying to clear up misconceptions and comment on what I perceived as stating untrue facts about Propellerhead. Might've read in to that, not enough coffee in my system. To your point though, it was literally engaging in conversation! I personally take pride in that and try to do it as often as I can, so I hope it's appreciated. I honestly thought it was rare to be able to engage directly with the product manager, but perhaps I'm wrong there. :)

I honestly know very few companies, especially in the music industry, that are open with a road map or engage in a conversation about what's coming up. All this is probably to avoid disappointments, speculation, rampant expectations, changing markets etc. I can't seem to find info on what the next version of Bitwig or Ableton will bring, are you saying that's out there? I'd definitely be interested to see it, professional curiosity and all that. For the record, one of the big exceptions is in the gaming industry which does announce things long, long before they're available. As a gamer for the last 24 years, I've seen that both be great and horrible. :lol:

We've definitely heard and acknowledged the feature requests you mention there and when we say "Thanks for the feedback, we'll take it into consideration!" that is genuine. We track all feedback and it helps us a lot with priorities, and we get that feedback from all kinds of places—including ReasonTalk. The workflow features in the free Reason 10.2 update, VST in Reason 9.5, new synths in Reason 10 and the decision to not do any paid upgrades in 2018 are all results of this.

It is, however, unlikely that we'll say "Yes, we'll do Feature X in Version Y which will be released 20XX" unless it's 100% ready to be announced. I don't think that'll change any time soon. Just to be clear though, I've no problem stating that we'll keep improving the core Reason DAW experience (which seems to be what people around here are worried about), releasing different types of Rack Extensions and more exciting things we're not ready to talk about yet.

Regarding Reason Compact, we (not me personally) have publicly said that we're planning to add more tracks and instruments, this is just the beginning! For example here: https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... n-Compact- but also in social media. :)

Anyway, with all that said, keep sending feedback! Anything Stefan sees in social media he passes on to me and anything I see here I make note of. I've been a Reason user for ages, still am, and I truly do care about making it as good as possible. :reason:
madmacman wrote:
08 Nov 2018

Hey Mattias, not sure how long you've been product manager but I've noticed a big change over the past few years (for the positive) with Reason. I've owned and upgraded every version since 2.5, however left for a few years actually using it day to day but came back with the recent addition of VST. The trajectory for Reason is exciting and I for one am very appreciative of how open you have been and the changes that have been implemented and what's on the horizon.

I've noticed in music software forums the most frustrated voices tend to be loudest. Often forums can become a breeding ground for negative sentiment (although I do understand the desire and passion that's involved in the complaints and requests)

I just want to let you there there are many people who love the product but may not be as vocal. I would hate to see you stop participating in forums because of how people can sometimes act. Everything you said in this reply makes total sense and I agree with 100%

People who actually like the product and the direction things are headed tend to get called fanboys. I'm definitely no fanboy, I barely post things like this. But I just wanted to let you know it's not doom and gloom for everyone.

Loque

08 Nov 2018

tenor.gif
tenor.gif (385.67 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Reason12, Win10

JdA57

08 Nov 2018

:D :D mostly stupid discussion. :D :D

Why wining about retail-prices? The retail for Reason is cheap. But I think many users lost relations about that, and don't see all the features and what perfect, great things they can do with only Reason. And maybe if someone thinking a price for RE is to high: don't buy or buy a VST. The performance of Reason is really ok up to perfect for to use VST's. I never wanted vst's because I wanted 'Reason' like it is. But now, ok, I can use ALL VST's in Reason too. Fine! (I think: mostly the pricing of RE's is to low! - ok, not RE's like shrock and all this shitty cheap things)

- Many Users complaining only about: which features are missing O.o (but often cannot explain or often don't see the workarounds). Reason is really special and you cannot compare to other DAWs. And if someone needs other features and whatever: why complaining, winig and discuss? Change and goodby (this users will see, that their new DAW maybe will not bring ALL features needed too and that if need new plugs like vst: open up your eyes, what you've to pay for that (with same features like RE's) and what about support from different dev's / companies.

Somebody is talking about features and Bitwig and what he wants to know what happens in future. :D :D :D
We are all waiting for the online-features in Bitwig. The only very good argument for to evtl. buy this. So what is bitwig: A very, very buggy peace of Software with nothing really new and ok, many missing features (they talking about before). They wanted to be better (and with not as so much bugs ;) ) then Ableton, but they are'nt. What about the price and what you get? ;) - you noticed, that Reason is one of the stables DAW you can buy? Ok there are 'SOME' little bugs. But only 'SOME'!

- - - - -

any company has to look / to do sales / business for to live, give us support. So what?
And hello: actually I can say: Never saw a better support like from props. There are some companies with very good support too, but often you've to wait a long time for answere.

I think it's a shame what and how some users talking about (often without knowledge what they are talking about) . I'm propellerhead user since ReBirth 1.0 and buying all I need or like (ok sometimes I've to wait because money, but thats ok (Y). For shure: never I was unhappy with this peaces of software. And allways I know: I got, what I paid for. I can tell about my wishes about features but if props cannot implement now, so maybe later or maybe never. It's ok, because what I paid for is working! (same I'm thinking about other (music-)software I've to work with. I only don't like bugs and if they will not be fixed. - but this never happens by props)

:D Ok and now I'll discuss with apple, tschibo, mercedes, bmw, vw, some baker and all other companies because missing features and pricing ;) :D

(be happy, that I cannot post in german here - because this would be a straighter post ;) :D ). I'm really angry about this shit I read here today (again) from some users against props and I cannot understand why some persons are as so stupid. :(

That's why I not often going into this forum.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

08 Nov 2018

Now, now. Let’s be nice and civil regardless of opinion! Life’s just a bit better that way :)

Didn’t want to spark a big heated discussion, just chime in!

Oquasec

08 Nov 2018

What makes rack extensions convenient is the sync button.
You could legit make a lot of content out of the box cuz of this sandboxed thing so easily.
All this does is make everything easier to keep track of too.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Reasonable man

08 Nov 2018

i like your little beard

antic604

08 Nov 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
08 Nov 2018
I don't want to start some kind of argument here...
jayhosking wrote:
08 Nov 2018
The fact that Mattias chimes in here truly separates Props from the others...
koshal wrote:
08 Nov 2018
I've noticed in music software forums the most frustrated voices tend to be loudest. Often forums can become a breeding ground for negative sentiment (although I do understand the desire and passion that's involved in the complaints and requests)
Guys, sorry! I was indeed out of line, made some assumptions and vented some other frustrations that I currently go through which are not in any way related to Reason... Sorry :)

EnochLight

08 Nov 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
08 Nov 2018
It's best not to speculate like this, there's a lot of assumptions about how resources, development and revenue works and it's mostly wrong. It gets a bit silly when you're stating things like fact when they're not. I guess most companies wouldn't comment at all, but I'm an old forum user so I get the reply itch! :geek:

Believe me when I say these two things: 1.) making Rack Extensions does not negatively impact our work on the core DAW at all and 2.) we're not using behind-the-scenes tricks to develop our REs. Everything we do with Rack Extensions is using the same SDK and tools that everyone else has access to. :)
MattiasHG wrote:
08 Nov 2018

madmacman wrote:
08 Nov 2018

@Mods: I feel like this needs to be a forum sticky! :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

08 Nov 2018

Honestly every forum is the same. Cubase, Ableton, Maschine. There are always people who think their concerns in particular are going unnoticed, or that things are taking too long. Only difference is, they rarely if ever get a response! So let’s keep the conversation productive. We’re all friends here ;)

So who’s demoing Umpf? Anyone make anything cool in it yet?

fotizimo

08 Nov 2018

For me, it comes down to a question of innovation versus costs. I look at some of the devices that 3rd party devs are putting out (looking at you Noise Engineering team), and I see they are pushing Reason to go into great new places. An example would be the new area of players, but take a look at the prices for the devices with that section of the store. There are a lot of great things coming in way under $125 CDN, so when I see something like Umpf Retro with Propellerhead branding, well i guess I wish they were pushing Reason like these other devs.

I just want to see Propellerheads put out flag-ship quality devices, and some of the things lately have been... well sort of underwhelming but at an overwhelming price.

That is my $0.02.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Jmax

08 Nov 2018

I'll be giving Umpf Retro a try. I own Umpf and really love it. I do enjoy the Retro beats so might have to make the purchase at some point.

aeox
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2018

After giving my disappointment some time to fade I conclude that I'm all for these devices as long as they are popular and sell well to the majority of users. Which helps keep the program I love so much alive in the future! Just not my kind of RE!

Wonder what they've got plans for? :)

Faastwalker

08 Nov 2018

Looks okay. I wasn't too interested in the original. But it looks decent enough & so does this. I might check them out.

Propellerhead seem very into series of devices. There's Umpf, Layers, The Radical RE's. I'd like to see another Audiomatic.

guitfnky

08 Nov 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
08 Nov 2018
I'd like to see another Audiomatic.
not sure if you’re into VSTs at all, but you might want to check out the XLN Audio RC-20 Retro Color VST. it’s in the same spirit as the Audiomatic, and it’s pretty amazing. the presets are all really useful, but you’ve also got a lot more flexibility to tweak than the Audiomatic when you need it. I still use both often, but the RC-20 has some really nifty tricks up its sleeve.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

VariableX

08 Nov 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Nov 2018
Honestly every forum is the same. Cubase, Ableton, Maschine. There are always people who think their concerns in particular are going unnoticed, or that things are taking too long. Only difference is, they rarely if ever get a response! So let’s keep the conversation productive. We’re all friends here ;)

So who’s demoing Umpf? Anyone make anything cool in it yet?
Quickly banged this together:

run all sound through using UMPF Retro beats Tape as a send FX.
Trigger Savana soundbank on another UMPF Retro from UJam pattern,
also using UJam sounds, so I guess they are layered...

I feel like a script kiddie but with music instead :-)

Yonatan

09 Nov 2018

PH has a kind of partnership with UJam, and I think that is what confuses some users. I think it is best to see these RE´s as possible expansions for those who do not have tons of older refills and samples. These devices are making the creative process somewhat easier for many users.
And the player devices is just so much fun and brings alot of hope to the table. These two Umpf I find a bit fun to play with in the 30 day trial, but it is not "wow" factor for my needs, but for some it is. I could find myself buying some day at a sale or prolong the trial in subsription.
I think that PH has brought so many options lately, that it is hard to honestly feel discuraged. People nowadays expect more frequent releases, and that is what they get. We cant expect every single release to be for ones own taste.

I did just saw that UJam is about to (december) release VST Virtual Bassplayers. I recon that this is something often requested to have in the A-list series. So I cross my fingers. Dont know if UJam will bring them to the RE format, but it would surely be nice to be able to rent or subscribe to them in the shop.

I welcome the teaming with UJam, although I dont find every device by them, targeted to my needs, but they bring a freshness between the other releases from the core team of PH. The difference I see now is that more is happening, and in all, that is interesting. Enough ppl are excited and makes music with these devices.

• Information