Umpf Retro Beats

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
chimp_spanner

07 Nov 2018

This is the demo I put together for some of my patches and Drum Seq patterns. Everything except the vocal samples and telephone sound in the Neurofunk example is in Umpf Retro, oh and obviously the melodic stuff is just stock Reason devices. There isn't a sidechain compressor as in Club but you can modulate a tempo sync'd upwards saw to the volume of drum channels to simulate the pumping effect.

*Side note: this is the most I've played with Drum Sequencer since I got it and it's actually really useful. Kompulsion has longer sequences (and I *love* it btw) but is a bit daunting/overkill sometimes. One thing I wish Drum Seq had was conditional triggers, like in the most recent Step Sequencer update from Robotic Bean. It's actually an idea I floated with them, although I don't know how likely it is to ever be implemented. Being able to set certain hits to happen every 2nd repetition, or based on other criteria could really make a 16 step sequence feel longer. But yeah, kind of off the subject now haha.
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 07 Nov 2018, edited 2 times in total.

PhillipOrdonez

07 Nov 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
07 Nov 2018
Disclaimer; I did a few kits and sequences for this, so I had a chance to play with it and it's a bunch of fun! The tape section is actually really nice - I dig the drive on it. And you can get some interesting sounds with the sidechained gate. Remember you can also use the sounds from Club or Retro with either device so if you like the retro sounds but want glitches just put them in Club.

Of course that said, yeah if you already have a bunch of these sounds then that's cool - you're set. It *is* optional afterall ;) And afaik it's Ujam developed so it's not like Props were doing this instead of working on Reason. So ya know, it's whatever :)
Excuse me but I've been trialing this for the past few minutes and can attest this is another glitch machine in a different way. I'm loving this already. And love that there's audio ins for the effects, hope they update umpf to be able to use the compressor and chop from an external audio source as well!

Despondo
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2018

The next device in this series? The TRUMPf drum machine....

Kalm

07 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
07 Nov 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
07 Nov 2018
I kind of disagree with the general sentiment here. Once you've developed an engine, it makes sense to tailor it to several niche markets. There was a club version (which I didn't like too much, not being a club head myself), now a retro version (more tailored towards my own tastes, I quite like this one) and I expect more will come, like a Trance version, or a Future one, or whatever. The engine itself is quite powerful, it's a nice change from Kong (very different beasts), and it's packaged with a free Drum Sequencer which is a fit made in heaven if you ask me. Pick the ones you're interested in and ignore the rest, no need to go "PH have gone so low that they're now catering for people other than me". No one forces you to buy all of them.
Right. This.

Also, has it occurred to anyone that people are actually buying things like Wave Layers and Umpf - and loving them? I mean, I can't fault Props for trying to branch out and add shit people like. Virtually every company under the sun does this sort of product rebranding and niche stuff. I don't know why people are surprised that Props have caught up and started doing it themselves...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is what people are harping on Izotope for right now. I think every major audio plugin company is doing this because. . . iDK. . . LOOK WHOSE MAKING MUSIC. It's everybody younger who wants quick turn around options for making beats with less work. If its all in one then . . . just buy it for what it does and vioala. Pworfect.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

tobypearce

07 Nov 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
07 Nov 2018
I kind of disagree with the general sentiment here. Once you've developed an engine, it makes sense to tailor it to several niche markets. There was a club version (which I didn't like too much, not being a club head myself), now a retro version (more tailored towards my own tastes, I quite like this one) and I expect more will come, like a Trance version, or a Future one, or whatever. The engine itself is quite powerful, it's a nice change from Kong (very different beasts), and it's packaged with a free Drum Sequencer which is a fit made in heaven if you ask me. Pick the ones you're interested in and ignore the rest, no need to go "PH have gone so low that they're now catering for people other than me". No one forces you to buy all of them.
Good point.

Next time PH bring out something with a qualification in the title that's a clue that there's another one coming later in the year.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2018

Undistraction wrote:
07 Nov 2018
It's like they've given up trying to do anything original.

Pump out that low-grade product for the fanboys and completists.

I'm guessing they spent more on the promo video than developing the rack extension.
Huge fanboy here. I don't approve of this product :D

Such a let down and wasted opportunity for something great

Prints

07 Nov 2018

I would be more enthusiastic about this if they would just let me use my damn "rewards" points to crossgrade.

BRIGGS

07 Nov 2018

zzzzzzzzzz....

.....someone wake me when Lectric Panda releases an 8 channel drum module with extensive procedural/randomize functions.
r11s

fotizimo

07 Nov 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
07 Nov 2018
.....someone wake me when Lectric Panda releases an 8 channel drum module with extensive procedural/randomize functions.
Yeah, at this point I am looking to the Reason developer community or 3rd party VSTs to step things up a notch and give us top-quality devices.

Maybe the PH strategy is to keep their best RE ideas for including in their upgrade releases, as incentive to keep their user-base motivated. I mean Grain and Europa are absolute beats... Umpf and the other branded items put out between major releases haven't been all that appealing.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Wobbleburger

07 Nov 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
07 Nov 2018

This is the demo I put together for some of my patches and Drum Seq patterns. Everything except the vocal samples and telephone sound in the Neurofunk example is in Umpf Retro, oh and obviously the melodic stuff is just stock Reason devices. There isn't a sidechain compressor as in Club but you can modulate a tempo sync'd upwards saw to the volume of drum channels to simulate the pumping effect.

*Side note: this is the most I've played with Drum Sequencer since I got it and it's actually really useful. Kompulsion has longer sequences (and I *love* it btw) but is a bit daunting/overkill sometimes. One thing I wish Drum Seq had was conditional triggers, like in the most recent Step Sequencer update from Robotic Bean. It's actually an idea I floated with them, although I don't know how likely it is to ever be implemented. Being able to set certain hits to happen every 2nd repetition, or based on other criteria could really make a 16 step sequence feel longer. But yeah, kind of off the subject now haha.
This demo is soooo good. I love all of it. Lots of hate on this thread but I'll be using it.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

BRIGGS

07 Nov 2018

Wobbleburger wrote:
07 Nov 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
07 Nov 2018

This demo is soooo good. I love all of it. Lots of hate on this thread but I'll be using it.
Good point! Guess we should all trial it, before coming to conclusions. Downloading now...
r11s

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
07 Nov 2018
Wobbleburger wrote:
07 Nov 2018

Good point! Guess we should all trial it, before coming to conclusions. Downloading now...
I did trial it :P

BRIGGS

07 Nov 2018

aeox wrote:
07 Nov 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
07 Nov 2018

I did trial it :P
I have to say after playing with it for few minutes, I kinda like it. It can get grimey.

But I'm biased...A sucker for anything drum related. If both umpfs go for $99 someday...I'll consider it.
r11s

PhillipOrdonez

07 Nov 2018

Kalm wrote:
07 Nov 2018
EnochLight wrote:
07 Nov 2018

Right. This.

Also, has it occurred to anyone that people are actually buying things like Wave Layers and Umpf - and loving them? I mean, I can't fault Props for trying to branch out and add shit people like. Virtually every company under the sun does this sort of product rebranding and niche stuff. I don't know why people are surprised that Props have caught up and started doing it themselves...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is what people are harping on Izotope for right now. I think every major audio plugin company is doing this because. . . iDK. . . LOOK WHOSE MAKING MUSIC. It's everybody younger who wants quick turn around options for making beats with less work. If its all in one then . . . just buy it for what it does and vioala. Pworfect.

Please update me on that with iZotope, cause I'm truly out of the loop.

Kalm

07 Nov 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Nov 2018
Kalm wrote:
07 Nov 2018

Many people are complaining (and for good reason) that Izotope is charging way too much for their stuff. its 199-299 for upgrades of their plugins, and this is holding the advanced product lines of multiple softwares (Neutron, Ozone, RX). They introduced Nectar 3 which itself is an $199 upgrade but I can personally

Get the Vocal Chain bundle for $249
RX 7 Standard for $269
Neutron 2 Advanced for $199
Ozone 8 Advanced for $199

or pay $299 to get them all right now. This marketing technique to upset the individual product so consumers purchase the all in bundle is all the rave to get customers to "Buy in" to a retailers product line and loyalty. No way is Neutron and Ozone advanced UPGRADE worth 400 plus if you're include the total balance feature. . . but then to get the upgraded Nectar its another $150 . . . and this is the UPGRADE pricing I'm speaking of.

Props has the Umpf bundle with Drum Sequencer for FREE at $140. Same thing. But for those who already spent $99 on one RE, there's no incentive to get another like that at full price. FB did show Props making a cross grade pricing though. . probably half off.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

VariableX

07 Nov 2018

Pondered it for 10 minites, checked emails, spotted crossgrade email .......Instabuy baby 😀

PhillipOrdonez

07 Nov 2018

Kalm wrote:
07 Nov 2018
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Nov 2018

Many people are complaining (and for good reason) that Izotope is charging way too much for their stuff. its 199-299 for upgrades of their plugins, and this is holding the advanced product lines of multiple softwares (Neutron, Ozone, RX). They introduced Nectar 3 which itself is an $199 upgrade but I can personally

Get the Vocal Chain bundle for $249
RX 7 Standard for $269
Neutron 2 Advanced for $199
Ozone 8 Advanced for $199

or pay $299 to get them all right now. This marketing technique to upset the individual product so consumers purchase the all in bundle is all the rave to get customers to "Buy in" to a retailers product line and loyalty. No way is Neutron and Ozone advanced UPGRADE worth 400 plus if you're include the total balance feature. . . but then to get the upgraded Nectar its another $150 . . . and this is the UPGRADE pricing I'm speaking of.

Props has the Umpf bundle with Drum Sequencer for FREE at $140. Same thing. But for those who already spent $99 on one RE, there's no incentive to get another like that at full price. FB did show Props making a cross grade pricing though. . probably half off.
Think I can get the upgrade to nectar 3 at 99 USD.

Yes, umpf owners get it at 49 USD.

mind2069

07 Nov 2018

Why not add inserts for each sample out so we could resend an external processing back in the final mix.

Would it be that hard, space is not missing.

EnochLight

07 Nov 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Nov 2018
I'd jump on that immediately. I had to pay $149 USD to upgrade from Nectar 2. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

07 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
07 Nov 2018
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Nov 2018
I'd jump on that immediately. I had to pay $149 USD to upgrade from Nectar 2. :(
I'm gonna wait on it a little more. With Rx advanced and neutron 2 and nectar 2 I must be able to get the same results... Maybe when they update neutron and ozone I'll upgrade the music production suite.

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2018

That is a great demo from chimp though.. wow!

You could make ANYTHING sound good.

stephensmattlee

07 Nov 2018

Have to admit I feel a little underwhelmed. Part of me would love to hook up the Kong and wire the pads into the Gate inputs of this just to utilise the bit reduction and tape saturation for an old school MPC style workflow. I just feel it’s a little over-priced for what it is. Might be tempted by a Black Friday sale though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

two shoes

07 Nov 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
07 Nov 2018
Good thing too or you'd have a $500 set of ok drum samples and five copies of the same sample player in five different super sweet color schemes. Who needs a compressor when you've got a little animated cassette tape amiright?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2018

Well, first and foremost, you don't have a compressor on Umpf Retro Beats because in reality you have 8 special tailored compressors for drums - Umpf has 8 Transient shapers, one per channel, which you will control using the panels.

Second, for people who don't have Umpf Club, it seems there's a new brand Umpf bundle too, so you can get both for 139 eur!

KickbackCouture

07 Nov 2018

I made a video demonstrating how I use for sample/LoFi beats here [emoji846]
Using Umpf Retro Beats | Reason 10.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attachments
IMG_1705.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg (185.55 KiB) Viewed 2655 times

• Information