Umpf Retro Beats

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Magnus

09 Nov 2018

Yonatan wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I welcome the teaming with UJam, although I dont find every device by them, targeted to my needs, but they bring a freshness between the other releases from the core team of PH. The difference I see now is that more is happening, and in all, that is interesting. Enough ppl are excited and makes music with these devices.
I don't think either of the Umpf REs are from UJAM. They are internal Propellerhead devices. The dude above was just using some UJAM patterns to trigger the Umpf sounds I believe.

Just for clarity (at least as far as I understand it):

The A-List RE devices come from UJAM but are rebadged as Props.
The Beatmaker RE devices are UJAM and are branded as such.

Re8et
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2018

I do not own Umpf, one or this retro, but if I had to choose (that mean transfuse some bucks from somewhere to my wallet) It would be the retro.
I especially like the separate audio fx in-out, that is a modular approach, althought I'd like to see more drag and drop slice/beatcut/timestretch* features in there. That gives some added value and kinda bring us back to where (where?) Kong has left

*Maybe they're there and I'm not aware of... :puf_bigsmile:

gullum

09 Nov 2018

When someone is complaining about the price of a RE it is most often because it is a device you do not need. which is about 90% of the devices in the shop, you don't need 10 synths but they can in some way make things easier or ad something special to your songs. then when you realize you need this device, to make this or that you pay the price, because you need it. I have both of the Umpf drum machines now.
I don't get why people get upset when pros or any company release something they don't need, you do absolutely not need everything that a company releases, I don't use Reason Compact or any of the iOs apps nor do I use alihopa or what it's called I still don't have some of the Pro's RE's, the world does not spin around you but you the one spinning on the earth. I get 1 then you get 1 sometimes you get 2 and I get none, it is life

hurricane
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2018

I would like to add a complaint - I don't need or want or am in any way enticed by the upcoming Noise Engineering REs how dare these RE developers release something that I don't want to use and don't want to buy. Like C'MON MAN.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

BRIGGS

09 Nov 2018

hurricane wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I would like to add a complaint - I don't need or want or am in any way enticed by the upcoming Noise Engineering REs how dare these RE developers release something that I don't want to use and don't want to buy. Like C'MON MAN.
I know, right? Next, we'll want custom tailor made REs made just for us. :roll:
r11s

BRIGGS

09 Nov 2018

Re8et wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I do not own Umpf, one or this retro, but if I had to choose (that mean transfuse some bucks from somewhere to my wallet) It would be the retro.
I especially like the separate audio fx in-out, that is a modular approach, althought I'd like to see more drag and drop slice/beatcut/timestretch* features in there. That gives some added value and kinda bring us back to where (where?) Kong has left

*Maybe they're there and I'm not aware of... :puf_bigsmile:
+1 :!:
r11s

antic604

10 Nov 2018

hurricane wrote:
09 Nov 2018
The difference is it's Noise Engineering's job to make Eurorack & REs, while Props' job is to develop Reason :P

dioxide

10 Nov 2018

gullum wrote:
09 Nov 2018
When someone is complaining about the price of a RE it is most often because it is a device you do not need. which is about 90% of the devices in the shop, you don't need 10 synths but they can in some way make things easier or ad something special to your songs. then when you realize you need this device, to make this or that you pay the price, because you need it. I have both of the Umpf drum machines now.
I don't get why people get upset when pros or any company release something they don't need, you do absolutely not need everything that a company releases, I don't use Reason Compact or any of the iOs apps nor do I use alihopa or what it's called I still don't have some of the Pro's RE's, the world does not spin around you but you the one spinning on the earth. I get 1 then you get 1 sometimes you get 2 and I get none, it is life
One thing is that this is a change from how PH used to make devices. They used to make devices like Kong and Thor, which are deep and versatile. If Umpf was created with the old philosophy I think you'd see both these devices merged, with the same effects modules integrated into a single device. If Thor was made with the current philosophy then they might have made Thor Analogue, Thor FM and Thor Wavetable editions at a total price of €XXX for the bundle.

Personally I don't really need more instruments to create more music, so I'm not going to complain too much. I understand that PH might want to explore how they go about creating instruments in the current market and how they might be priced. I just liked the way they used to make instruments, as instruments not sample packs.

I will say I think Grain and Europa are good solid instruments though.

gullum

10 Nov 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I know, right? Next, we'll want custom tailor made REs made just for us. :roll:
wait, is that not what we see people ask for in this threat? or any other RE threat comments like if it had this or change the the clollor I would buy
The difference is it's Noise Engineering's job to make Eurorack & REs, while Props' job is to develop Reason :P
Well that is what they are doing right? and then they make some RE's like Umpf and other that not everyone would need or use in Reason.

What I'm only saying there is no need to complain and complain if you don't need it, just don't buy it. so as with most companies, the best way to show them they are going in the wrong direction is whit your wallet, and if your wallet is not speaking, maybe just maybe it's because it was only you that did not need this device ?

EnochLight

10 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
10 Nov 2018

Except for that part where you were told by the Product Manager himself that developing RE’s does not affect developing Reason at all. :P
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

10 Nov 2018

hurricane wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I’m with you. their inclusion is an insult to our intelligence, and probably our mothers as well. please remove these Rack Extensions from the shop IMMEDIATELY.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

10 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
10 Nov 2018
antic604 wrote:
10 Nov 2018

Except for that part where you were told by the Product Manager himself that developing RE’s does not affect developing Reason at all. :P
also, Reason started out as an instrument sandbox platform. just because they’ve opened the ability for third parties to make devices doesn’t mean they should stop making their own. I don’t have much need for either Umpf, but I think it’s great that they’re making such toys for us to play with. :)

it’s funny to see the predictable swing of concerns and complaints always going from “you gave us new functionality, but no new instruments/effects—what’s wrong with you???” to “you gave us new instruments/effects, but no new functionality—what’s wrong with you???” and back with each new release.

NisseJ

10 Nov 2018

guitfnky wrote:
10 Nov 2018

it’s funny to see the predictable swing of concerns and complaints always going from “you gave us new functionality, but no new instruments/effects—what’s wrong with you???” to “you gave us new instruments/effects, but no new functionality—what’s wrong with you???” and back with each new release.
I know this one!

"What is a ping pong delay?!?"

:puf_wink:

EnochLight

10 Nov 2018

guitfnky wrote:
10 Nov 2018
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bxbrkrz

10 Nov 2018

Good luck Umpf!
:puf_smile:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
10 Nov 2018
hurricane wrote:
09 Nov 2018
That's where you're completely wrong as it depends completely on the companies strategy.

A company can have a single product line strategy, and the other option is to have a diverse product line strategy. The problem with a single product line is that the moment the need for that product ends, or you sold you market share, you have nothing left.

Even before Rack extensions, Propellerhead always had a multi product line strategy (i think the exception was when they were doing rebirth), where you had Reason and Recicle as their main products and they were also producing their own refills, as the case of Reason Pianos, Drums, Elecrtic Bass, Abbey Road, Etc, Etc. The products all gravitate around the flagship product wich is Reason! And that's great.

TBH, i believe at this moment, Propellerheads have their development teams separated by product line (Reason, Mobile, Rack Extensions, etc), and each product line has their own pipeline with sub teams that are defined according to needs (teams grow and people move in relation to the complexity, parallelization and time schedule of the products). Also at the cadence at the products are coming out i also think they have all teams active at all time. Of course the technologies are dependent, they cross boundaries from product to product (i.e. Rack Extensions, depend how SDK is evolved, SDK depends on Reason) so the communication must always be open.

This to say Reason development is not stopped because of Propellerheads Rack extensions (instruments). They sure have their teams defined. O and before you say it would be better to get all those people on the other product lines to take care of Reason, mind this... If you impregnated 9 women do you expect to have a child in one month?

cgijoe

10 Nov 2018

NisseJ wrote:
10 Nov 2018
guitfnky wrote:
10 Nov 2018

I know this one!

"What is a ping pong delay?!?"

:puf_wink:
Hahaha....

And mcatalao, I think they were being sarcastic in that post...

Anyway, people will always complain...

As a collector of retro drum samples, I'm down with a new device that is built ideally for the player drum sequencer.

As a long time user and lover of ReDrum (I grinded my drum sequencing chops on this device), I loved the dynamic sequence length pattern of the drum sequencer player, but always hated having not enough lanes to account for ReDrum... reminds me of the hotdogs come in 8 and buns in packs of 6 problem that existed.... father of the bride anyone?

I'm rambling now, but I'll say, this might be might test case for rent-to-own...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2018

cgijoe wrote:
10 Nov 2018

And mcatalao, I think they were being sarcastic in that post...
While hurricane's comment was sarcastic, Antic604's is not. At least for the rest of his posts and rants...

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2018

mcatalao wrote:
10 Nov 2018

While hurricane's comment was sarcastic...
Was it??? :mrgreen:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

WongoTheSane

10 Nov 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Nov 2018
Honestly every forum is the same. Cubase, Ableton, Maschine. There are always people who think their concerns in particular are going unnoticed, or that things are taking too long. Only difference is, they rarely if ever get a response! So let’s keep the conversation productive. We’re all friends here ;)

So who’s demoing Umpf? Anyone make anything cool in it yet?
Here's mine:

The genre is electro/downtempo, there's also a JPS Harmonic Synthesizer, a Nostromo, an eXpanse, a Europa, an abl3, an Antidote, a Grain, an Air Hybrid and a SWAM Violin. I'm not doing anything too crazy with UMPF, I just picked a few samples from the new library, tweaked them until I had the right sound (the gated reverb is superb), hooked a Drum Sequencer on top and that was it. I was going for the Simmons SDS type of drums.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2018

hurricane wrote:
10 Nov 2018
mcatalao wrote:
10 Nov 2018

While hurricane's comment was sarcastic...
Was it??? :mrgreen:
Well if the other wansn't, this sure is. Or not. Frack I'm confused!

eusti

10 Nov 2018

Wow, Wongo! I thoroughly enjoyed that! :)

D.

Edit: Correcting auto correct.
Last edited by eusti on 11 Nov 2018, edited 2 times in total.

antic604

11 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
10 Nov 2018
antic604 wrote:
10 Nov 2018

Of course he'd say that, but company funding is limited and can be allocated in various ways. It so happens that I'm managing a balance sheet in a bank and I'm fully aware of different possible strategies. Problem is, some of those strategies can be focued on the bottom line or RoI/RoE and have little to do with prioritising customer satisfaction or building of long-term relationship. It depends on the management & their plan.

I've nothing against REs like Europa or Grain that are added to the suite of native devices, but putting things in Shop works against 3rd party devs and RE ecosystem. They've already put it in danger with VSTs, so they maybe shouldn't compete with them directly as well? There was a thread recently where some prominent devs expressed their concern with how things are going right now...

guitfnky

11 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
11 Nov 2018
EnochLight wrote:
10 Nov 2018

Of course he'd say that, but company funding is limited and can be allocated in various ways. It so happens that I'm managing a balance sheet in a bank and I'm fully aware of different possible strategies. Problem is, some of those strategies can be focued on the bottom line or RoI/RoE and have little to do with prioritising customer satisfaction or building of long-term relationship. It depends on the management & their plan.

I've nothing against REs like Europa or Grain that are added to the suite of native devices, but putting things in Shop works against 3rd party devs and RE ecosystem. They've already put it in danger with VSTs, so they maybe shouldn't compete with them directly as well? There was a thread recently where some prominent devs expressed their concern with how things are going right now...
the problem with just reallocating funds to Reason development at the expense of Rack Extension development is that the people working on each of those things don’t necessarily have the skillset to be working on the other side of the equation. calling on an RE dev who doesn’t have the same foundation as someone who’s working on the core product could be an even bigger waste of time and money.

and I respectfully disagree that having VSTs puts REs in any real danger. obviously, I’m just a one-man walking anecdote over here, but I’ve spent more money in the last year on REs than I ever had before. and I get excited whenever I hear a new RE has been announced, even if it’s not really my thing (like Umpf). to me, that means the RE market is healthy. but again, that’s my singular experience.

antic604

11 Nov 2018

guitfnky wrote:
11 Nov 2018
the problem with just reallocating funds to Reason development at the expense of Rack Extension development is that the people working on each of those things don’t necessarily have the skillset to be working on the other side of the equation. calling on an RE dev who doesn’t have the same foundation as someone who’s working on the core product could be an even bigger waste of time and money.
How is it not obvious - if you're running a company you don't keep people you don't need and hire more of those that you need.
guitfnky wrote:
11 Nov 2018
and I respectfully disagree that having VSTs puts REs in any real danger. obviously, I’m just a one-man walking anecdote over here, but I’ve spent more money in the last year on REs than I ever had before. and I get excited whenever I hear a new RE has been announced, even if it’s not really my thing (like Umpf). to me, that means the RE market is healthy. but again, that’s my singular experience.
I get that! I'm using Reason BECAUSE of its Rack and REs - I even disabled VSTs now after completing my recent project - but since v9.5 huge majority of discussions on FB and in General here is about or related to VSTs, so it definitely had its impact and I don't think it's positive.

• Information