Step Note Recorder II

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 947
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 15 Nov 2018

We've just released a 2.0.1 update with some minor tweaks and bug fixes:
  • Notes would hang when changing the sequence length or repeat counts while running
  • Fixed a problem that could cause rare crashes on Windows when recording notes
  • Separated the linked conditions (previous and not previous) from the others in the condition popup menu
  • Rest and Tie buttons now respond to Cmd/Ctrl-clicks
  • Added Remote support for the "Selected Lane" property
  • Fixed graphics bug that could appear when recording Curve 1

stp2015
Posts: 312
Joined: 02 Feb 2016

Post 17 Nov 2018

I really like note step recorder, but I hate how it looks. The colours. As if it was made by someone who is color blind. Can you please make it look as nice as your Euclidian player RE? That is one of the best looking REs on the store. I will buy NoteStep the moment that happens :)

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 970
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 23 Dec 2018

buddard wrote:
12 Nov 2018
Thanks a lot for the feedback, lots of stuff to think about for the future! :puf_smile:

But first I have an update with some minor tweaks and bug fixes in the works + a couple of other projects to tend to. ;)
Buddard, could you take a look here please? Basically I'm guessing on the possibility to add a skip/jump function (blank note) plus rec automation (combinator/cv) to the Step.. :idea: :idea: :idea:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7510248

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2291
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 23 Dec 2018

Wow, the Reason Universe is blowing wide open
So's my bank account
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

electrofux
Posts: 735
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 04 Apr 2019

what is the remote item name of "Selected Lane"? I cant find it in the Remote Info

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 947
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 04 Apr 2019

electrofux wrote:
04 Apr 2019
what is the remote item name of "Selected Lane"? I cant find it in the Remote Info
The remote name is "Selected Lane". :puf_smile:

It's really weird that it doesn't show up in the export (and it doesn't for me either), because you can see it in Remote Override Edit Mode...

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1930
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 04 Apr 2019

stp2015 wrote:
17 Nov 2018
Can you please make it look as nice as your Euclidian player RE? That is one of the best looking REs on the store. I will buy NoteStep the moment that happens :)
That is a great idea. I hope the do a graphics update. :thumbs_up:
Also, RB, are you going to release the feature requests we discussed a while back. Midi playback modes etc?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 947
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 05 Apr 2019

Boombastix wrote:
04 Apr 2019
stp2015 wrote:
17 Nov 2018
Can you please make it look as nice as your Euclidian player RE? That is one of the best looking REs on the store. I will buy NoteStep the moment that happens :)
That is a great idea. I hope the do a graphics update. :thumbs_up:
Also, RB, are you going to release the feature requests we discussed a while back. Midi playback modes etc?
I'm planning to add some more features to Step in a free update (for owners of Step 2.0) that is hopefully released later this year. I can't get more specific than that right now, simply because I don't know when I'll have the time to begin working on it. :puf_smile:

Regarding a complete visual makeover, that is a huge undertaking and not a viable investment for a product update, I'm afraid.

two shoes
Posts: 254
Joined: 13 Jul 2018

Post 05 Apr 2019

i happen to like the gui in its current state and SNR has become one of my most frequently used REs since the 2.0 update. i'm also a big fan of Resonans. looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the next update - keep up the good work.

seqoi
Banned user
Posts: 417
Joined: 12 Aug 2017

Post 06 Apr 2019

For some reason i wasn't even knew this device existed. A miracle. Matrix on steroids.

Does it have "random seed" of notes like Matrix does. I can't find it but it wouldn't be the first time i can't find something in Reason device hehe.

I am not asking for random playback (i see it's there) but random seed of notes like when you are in Matrix and you press "Randomize pattern" - sometimes i am getting quick and usable results from that (when inspiration is stuck).

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 947
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 06 Apr 2019

seqoi wrote:
06 Apr 2019
For some reason i wasn't even knew this device existed. A miracle. Matrix on steroids.

Does it have "random seed" of notes like Matrix does. I can't find it but it wouldn't be the first time i can't find something in Reason device hehe.

I am not asking for random playback (i see it's there) but random seed of notes like when you are in Matrix and you press "Randomize pattern" - sometimes i am getting quick and usable results from that (when inspiration is stuck).
No, it doesn’t, unfortunately. But you can randomize a pattern in Matrix, and then record it into Step for further manipulation! You can get Step to receive CV/Gate by putting it in a combi and connecting Matrix to its inputs.

electrofux
Posts: 735
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
04 Apr 2019
electrofux wrote:
04 Apr 2019
what is the remote item name of "Selected Lane"? I cant find it in the Remote Info
The remote name is "Selected Lane". :puf_smile:

It's really weird that it doesn't show up in the export (and it doesn't for me either), because you can see it in Remote Override Edit Mode...
Is that item working at your side? I have it connected to my modwheel via the remote override but there doesnt seem to change/switch anything.

edit: i get a value of the item Selected Lane into Remote though. But on the output side nothing seems to happen neither with a codec nor through the override system.

seqoi
Banned user
Posts: 417
Joined: 12 Aug 2017

Post 06 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
06 Apr 2019
No, it doesn’t, unfortunately. But you can randomize a pattern in Matrix, and then record it into Step for further manipulation! You can get Step to receive CV/Gate by putting it in a combi and connecting Matrix to its inputs.
Thank you! I do not believe I would come up with that idea by myself but when you say it - it sound cool and native to Reason.

Regards

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 947
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 06 Apr 2019

electrofux wrote:
06 Apr 2019
buddard wrote:
04 Apr 2019


The remote name is "Selected Lane". :puf_smile:

It's really weird that it doesn't show up in the export (and it doesn't for me either), because you can see it in Remote Override Edit Mode...
Is that item working at your side? I have it connected to my modwheel via the remote override but there doesnt seem to change/switch anything.

edit: i get a value of the item Selected Lane into Remote though. But on the output side nothing seems to happen neither with a codec nor through the override system.
I've found the problem!

It seems to be an undocumented "feature" in the SDK/Reason related to the property scope.
This problem affects the Remote items "Selected Lanes", "Expand Note View" and "Show Ghost Notes", which will appear in Remote Override Edit Mode, but won't actually work or show up in Remote information export.

If I move these properties to another scope, the Remote objects will start working as expected (I just tried this).
The downside is that lane changes and toggling of the view size and ghost notes will start showing up in the Undo history from now on... But maybe that's not such a big deal?

electrofux
Posts: 735
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
06 Apr 2019
electrofux wrote:
06 Apr 2019


Is that item working at your side? I have it connected to my modwheel via the remote override but there doesnt seem to change/switch anything.

edit: i get a value of the item Selected Lane into Remote though. But on the output side nothing seems to happen neither with a codec nor through the override system.
I've found the problem!

It seems to be an undocumented "feature" in the SDK/Reason related to the property scope.
This problem affects the Remote items "Selected Lanes", "Expand Note View" and "Show Ghost Notes", which will appear in Remote Override Edit Mode, but won't actually work or show up in Remote information export.

If I move these properties to another scope, the Remote objects will start working as expected (I just tried this).
The downside is that lane changes and toggling of the view size and ghost notes will start showing up in the Undo history from now on... But maybe that's not such a big deal?

From my side that is not a big issue, because there are no sound altering effects resulting from a lane or view switch.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1930
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 07 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
05 Apr 2019
Regarding a complete visual makeover, that is a huge undertaking and not a viable investment for a product update, I'm afraid.
Oh, I was merely thinking to change the background image, i.e. Photoshop it. No layout overhaul, just a fast and easy fix, but would make it still look much more similar to Euclidiean. You already changed the knobs to the nicer Euclidiean knobs, so just a simple fix.
The readability with the background shaded midi connector images are quite distracting form the info you try to read.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

electrofux
Posts: 735
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 20 Jun 2019

buddard wrote:
06 Apr 2019
electrofux wrote:
06 Apr 2019


Is that item working at your side? I have it connected to my modwheel via the remote override but there doesnt seem to change/switch anything.

edit: i get a value of the item Selected Lane into Remote though. But on the output side nothing seems to happen neither with a codec nor through the override system.
I've found the problem!

It seems to be an undocumented "feature" in the SDK/Reason related to the property scope.
This problem affects the Remote items "Selected Lanes", "Expand Note View" and "Show Ghost Notes", which will appear in Remote Override Edit Mode, but won't actually work or show up in Remote information export.

If I move these properties to another scope, the Remote objects will start working as expected (I just tried this).
The downside is that lane changes and toggling of the view size and ghost notes will start showing up in the Undo history from now on... But maybe that's not such a big deal?
Has that been fixed?

Edit: just asking because the remote item now shows up in the remote info. But i wasnt able to make it work.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1930
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 19 May 2020

Does Step Note Recorder 2 have the Timing Handles like Sequences, so you can move a group of notes around?
If not, was it a planned update (and still in plan)?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 947
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 19 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
19 May 2020
Does Step Note Recorder 2 have the Timing Handles like Sequences, so you can move a group of notes around?
If not, was it a planned update (and still in plan)?
No, Step doesn’t have timing handles, and we’re not planning to add them either.
Step was implemented in a completely different way from Sequences, so unfortunately it’s not possible to add the handles in a way that makes sense for the device as a whole..

User avatar
lowtom
Posts: 101
Joined: 29 Sep 2017

Post 20 Mar 2021

I just rediscovered SNR II after updating from v.1 and I must say I'm amazed. It's a hidden gem in step sequencing world of Reason.
Big thank you for massive automation and Remote possibilities.
:reason: :refill: :re:

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 6246
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 20 Mar 2021

lowtom wrote:
20 Mar 2021
I just rediscovered SNR II after updating from v.1 and I must say I'm amazed. It's a hidden gem in step sequencing world of Reason.
Big thank you for massive automation and Remote possibilities.
Goes really well together with MIDI-CV Converter and Autolatch.
丰2ॐ

bharris22
Posts: 17
Joined: 18 Feb 2021

Post 24 Mar 2021

I purchased Sequences during the current sale, and am wondering whether SNR II would be too duplicative. What do the owners of this device think?

bidaar
Posts: 59
Joined: 30 Nov 2019

Post 28 Mar 2021

bharris22 wrote:
24 Mar 2021
I purchased Sequences during the current sale, and am wondering whether SNR II would be too duplicative. What do the owners of this device think?
Hey looks like me and you are on the same track I bought Sequences in the march sale , and Im buying Step note recorder 2 too because I think theres enough different functions to have them both like one doesnt even have different pattern support and the other one isnt really modular so Im looking into ways to combine em

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2567
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 29 Mar 2021

I must've asked this before at some point but is there any plan to implement some different playback modes? Like alt/ping pong, random, stochastic, etc. Unless it can already do something like this and I'm being a huge noob!

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2719
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 29 Mar 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Mar 2021
I must've asked this before at some point but is there any plan to implement some different playback modes? Like alt/ping pong, random, stochastic, etc. Unless it can already do something like this and I'm being a huge noob!
Noob.... Only kiding....

Yes it does..

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests