Incorporating non-selling REs into Reason

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Zac

31 Oct 2018

I'm sure there are some incredibly useful REs that have had all the sales they are likely to get regularly apart from the odd sale every few months/year.

I can understand a developer being reluctant to make such REs free for many reasons.

I'm mainly thinking CV based REs.

Wouldn't it make sense for propellerhead to offer the developer a small buy out with the option of adjusting the GUI and usage so that these can be new devices in Reason 11?

The props could even acknowledge any still active dev within the title... such as Later - Inspired by The Chronologists.

Just a thought.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
31 Oct 2018
I'm sure there are some incredibly useful REs that have had all the sales they are likely to get regularly apart from the odd sale every few months/year.

I can understand a developer being reluctant to make such REs free for many reasons.

Wouldn't it make sense for propellerhead to offer the developer a small buy out with the option of adjusting the GUI and usage so that these can be new devices in Reason 11?
I’m with you. That stupid, expensive blue Softube one for example 🙃😳😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

31 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
31 Oct 2018
Zac wrote:
31 Oct 2018

Ha! In your dreams*. At that price they only need to sell one a year ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
31 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
31 Oct 2018

Ha! In your dreams*. At that price they only need to sell one a year ;)
But I bet that the person that buys it gets it in a
sale :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

31 Oct 2018

Obviously I'd be in favour of this, but not before we can manage the devices we see in the Browser (like it is for VSTs). Even now I'd love to be able to hide some of them, because I either have better alternatives or they were free and I had to try them, but can't remove.

Loque

31 Oct 2018

If i were PH, I wouldn't do it. Too high risc for maintenance costs at no benefit. This would only make sense, if it is a cool device and the dev wants to remove it from the shop.
Reason12, Win10

Zac

31 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
31 Oct 2018
If i were PH, I wouldn't do it. Too high risc for maintenance costs at no benefit. This would only make sense, if it is a cool device and the dev wants to remove it from the shop.
I didn’t say it but i presumed any device the props 'bought out' for use as an incorporated Reason device would become their IP (can change it to fit in with the props paradigm) and would therefore no longer be available as an RE in the shop.

Just a passing thought. I'm sure the implementation wouldn't be straightforward... devs talk and chat... was yours bigger than mine.. etc.

But there must be some dead REs in the shop that have the quality and usefulness to meet my suggestion?

esselfortium

31 Oct 2018

I've thought about this before too, I think it could be a good idea. Buying out some useful third-party REs to bundle with Reason would be a nice way to add some extra Content(TM) to updates while letting more of Propellerhead's team keep focusing on developing Reason itself.

Maybe they could strike up a deal with Bandlab to get the RE-2A back this way :puf_smile:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

31 Oct 2018

Because it seemed to be received so well when old stuff that other people had bought was added to Reason? I'm thinking of Radical Piano, Synchronous, Pulsar, and the Soundiron ReFills...

But I agree with esselfortium, maybe bringing back something that was removed from the shop, such as RE-2A, to be included with Reason would be a nice touch.

Or maybe just include everything by Propellerhead that has been out a year or longer. Or just have Propellerhead stop selling Rack Extensions separately and include Propellerhead REs with Reason.

Or maybe not include previously purchased content with Reason. I know I've been hesitant to upgrade Parsec to version 2, because based on past moves, I find it easy to imagine it will be included with a future version of Reason. That would suck after paying for Parsec then paying for a $39 upgrade, then see it included in Reason. So perhaps I'd much rather see a statement that old stuff won't be included again?

aeox
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2018

joeyluck wrote:
31 Oct 2018
Because it seemed to be received so well when old stuff that other people had bought was added to Reason? I'm thinking of Radical Piano, Synchronous, Pulsar, and the Soundiron ReFills...

But I agree with esselfortium, maybe bringing back something that was removed from the shop, such as RE-2A, to be included with Reason would be a nice touch.

Or maybe just include everything by Propellerhead that has been out a year or longer. Or just have Propellerhead stop selling Rack Extensions separately and include Propellerhead REs with Reason.

Or maybe not include previously purchased content with Reason. I know I've been hesitant to upgrade Parsec to version 2, because based on past moves, I find it easy to imagine it will be included with a future version of Reason. That would suck after paying for Parsec then paying for a $39 upgrade, then see it included in Reason. So perhaps I'd much rather see a statement that old stuff won't be included again?
Imagine if Harmor came with FL studio for free :O

Loque

31 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
31 Oct 2018
Loque wrote:
31 Oct 2018
I didn’t say it but i presumed any device the props 'bought out' for use as an incorporated Reason device would become their IP (can change it to fit in with the props paradigm) and would therefore no longer be available as an RE in the shop.

Just a passing thought. I'm sure the implementation wouldn't be straightforward... devs talk and chat... was yours bigger than mine.. etc.

But there must be some dead REs in the shop that have the quality and usefulness to meet my suggestion?
Yea, there is one of i know and i think the dev died, so it is no longer available anymore. So compared to this the Hamu devices were a big, big move by ppl behind Hamu.

Another one would probably be RE-2A...
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2018

joeyluck wrote:
31 Oct 2018
That move was actually something which annoyed me a little and I’m not usually annoyed about stuff these days.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

31 Oct 2018

Why add a bunch of REs that don’t sell into the core product? If they’re not selling there’s a reason for that. Plus it would kill the long tail revenue stream (for Propellerhead) which might be miniscule but it’s still something.

Zac

31 Oct 2018

All very good arguments. Thanks.

It's hard to fully explain my vision in text.

What I think would be bonzer is if the unique elements of some RE devices that some people don't even know exist (for whatever reason, since 2012) could be bought out and brought into Reason if the RE dev feels his income is nought and that for the foreseeable.

Zac

31 Oct 2018

But if my idea doesn't add up. Just let it sink. Likesay... just a thought.

joeyluck

31 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
31 Oct 2018
I like where your thinking is. I'd certainly like to see them team up with great, active RE devs to create new things to be included with Reason. It was interesting we got Soundiron, who I like, but who had been quiet in both RE and ReFill development for quite some time, to deliver products for Reason using content many of us already had. It was an interesting choice for many reasons. And those products didn't feel complete or feel like they were making the most out of being Reason devices...Versus say having an active dev team up, who really gets the format, and bring something new and exciting...

Undistraction

31 Oct 2018

joeyluck wrote:
31 Oct 2018
Zac wrote:
31 Oct 2018
I like where your thinking is. I'd certainly like to see them team up with great, active RE devs to create new things to be included with Reason. It was interesting we got Soundiron, who I like, but who had been quiet in both RE and ReFill development for quite some time, to deliver products for Reason using content many of us already had. It was an interesting choice for many reasons. And those products didn't feel complete or feel like they were making the most out of being Reason devices...Versus say having an active dev team up, who really gets the format, and bring something new and exciting...
By 'interesting' you mean 'deeply cynical'?

gullum

31 Oct 2018

not liking this idea there are already a few devices in Reason I never use and as mentioned by MannequinRaces there is a reason why they are not selling. instead of putting them inside Reason buy out the dev and make the device free

• Information