Sound manglers / FTSU REs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

30 Oct 2018

(FTSU = F**k The Sound Up :))

So now that I've finished my 1st track in Reason, I'm looking for more tools to introduce controlled chaos & destruction to my sonic palette. I'm thinking more about glitchy, stuttery, temporal, spatial and pitch-based stuff rather than general compressors, saturators, EQs. I guess one would call them "creative effects"?

I currently own Distillery, Fritz, Polar, Synchronous, Fat Space to mention the favourites.

I'm also considering Beatchop, Echobode, Bitspeek, Steerpike, The Animus, etc.

Any particular must-haves out of the above, or others worth checking out that I'm not aware of?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2018

Beatchop is pretty cool but I got its free after a beta. Animus is a must :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

illlumen

30 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
30 Oct 2018

So now that I've finished my 1st track in Reason, I'm looking for more tools to introduce controlled chaos & destruction to my sonic palette. I'm thinking more about glitchy, stuttery, temporal, spatial and pitch-based stuff rather than general compressors, saturators, EQs. I guess one would call them "creative effects"?

I currently own Distillery, Fritz, Polar, Synchronous, Fat Space to mention the favourites.

Any particular must-haves out of the above, or others worth checking out that I'm not aware of?
its not a Rack extension but Unfiltered Audio's SpecOps is a great tool. You may check their other plugins, too. Did you dive into Grain? You don't have to go far or even spend more money to get crazy results.

Loque

30 Oct 2018

I recommend taking a look into VST world. I like the stuff from https://glitchmachines.com/ and there are a few free ones available. Palindrome seems to be a good challenger for Torsion and costs only 50% of it with 1.7gb of samples on top. And dont forget, the most of those things are grain engines, which means you can do a lot of stuff with Grain by modulating position, pan, pitch, delay+stuttering, grain size. Also taking a look to other grain samplers like Proton is worth it.

For glitchy fx i love The Echo, which can do weird stuff if you turn the right knobs and if you put something in the feedback loop or in the break out.

Also worth to mention is Paul-Stretch which smooths every stupid sample, which than can be mangled in other samplers or grain engines.

Fritz is pretty cool and there are other grain fx out there.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

30 Oct 2018

illlumen wrote:
30 Oct 2018
its not a Rack extension but Unfiltered Audio's SpecOps is a great tool. You may check their other plugins, too. Did you dive into Grain? You don't have to go far or even spend more money to get crazy results.
Thanks, yeah I have UA's VSTs including the latest BYOME and I'm even beta-testing an upcoming one from them, but I'm asking for REs specifically, since this is the workflow I prefer in Reason :)

And no, so far I've only glossed over Grain and indeed throwing a loop there and twisting knobs or drawing envelopes can yield really crazy results. More Grain is on my to-do list :D

antic604

30 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
30 Oct 2018
I recommend taking a look into VST world. I like the stuff from https://glitchmachines.com/ and there are a few free ones available. Palindrome seems to be a good challenger for Torsion and costs only 50% of it with 1.7gb of samples on top. And dont forget, the most of those things are grain engines, which means you can do a lot of stuff with Grain by modulating position, pan, pitch, delay+stuttering, grain size. Also taking a look to other grain samplers like Proton is worth it.
Thanks, I've several of Glitchmachines' VSTs but as explained above I'm after REs.

Proton was really nice, but that leather-wrapped wooden cuboard GUI... ;) :P

BRIGGS

30 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
30 Oct 2018

Yes, you might want to check out neutron:

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-extension/neutron/
r11s

Wobbleburger

30 Oct 2018

I highly recommend Glitch 2: https://illformed.com/

I use it in most of my tracks. There are a lot of copycat VST's but the original is the best. You can also get the Tape Stop effect as a standalone from IllFormed. I believe it's even free.

Steerpike is fantastic. It's especially ideal for dub or ambient.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

antic604

30 Oct 2018

Wobbleburger wrote:
30 Oct 2018
I highly recommend Glitch 2: https://illformed.com/

I use it in most of my tracks. There are a lot of copycat VST's but the original is the best. You can also get the Tape Stop effect as a standalone from IllFormed. I believe it's even free.
v1.3 is free, v2 is paid - have them both. As well as StutterEdit, Tantra and others.

I'm asking for REs :)

FLVZ

30 Oct 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
30 Oct 2018
antic604 wrote:
30 Oct 2018

Yes, you might want to check out neutron:

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-extension/neutron/
Strong recommendations here, very good RE for experimental stuff, with doors unlocked via CV (particularly with you being a fan of Synchronous, I've also had EchoBode recommended to me which is on my list of FTSU REs to own.

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2018

Check out neutron when it goes on sale!

MannequinRaces

30 Oct 2018

In addition to the great recommendations I would add Buffre. Buffre is similar to Distillery but I find they're different enough that I still like using both. I'm not super crazy about Bitspeek. It's kind of a one trick pony. It does what it does very very well but there isn't much outside of that. Some others that just came to mind are Torsion, Relapse Multiband Delay (I think you'd really like this one), Glitch, and GSX. Have fun! :)

Faastwalker

31 Oct 2018

It's a real shame u-he pulled their RE's from the shop. Uhbik-G was a lot of fun & totally crazy.

You can still get it as a VST. But I know you said you wanted RE's rather than VST's (I'm the same).

antic604

31 Oct 2018

Thanks guys for your recommendations! I've composed a list and will now wait for DoTW/sales to get them :)

WongoTheSane

31 Oct 2018

There's a device I got in one of the Rig bundles that I had completely overlooked until two days ago: Sugar Bytes' Filter Pattern (https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... r-pattern/). In one of my "let's dig in my never-used devices to see if there's a hidden gem in there and it'll get me out of my comfort zone" moments, I found that, applied to a pad, it can give some interesting glitchesque filter patterns. I'm not sure I would recommend to buy it stand alone, but if you already have it on your hard disk, you can probably squeeze a couple of songs out of it. It applies rhythmic changes to filter parameters (res and sweep), with pre-programmed patterns (which can be selected by CV).

dvdrtldg

31 Oct 2018

I really like fucking around with reverb for weird FX, and AD 480 by Fielder Audio is a favourite. Extreme settings + CV modulation = WTF. Plus it's just a great reverb, very versatile. Renoun and RP Verb are also good for pushing into the weirder realms

Etch Red dual filter can get very freaky

Deja Vu is a cool little delay that has some nice features like pitch modulation and reverse mode. And as someone has already suggested, Relapse is excellent

Loque

31 Oct 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
31 Oct 2018
I really like fucking around with reverb for weird FX, and AD 480 by Fielder Audio is a favourite. Extreme settings + CV modulation = WTF. Plus it's just a great reverb, very versatile. Renoun and RP Verb are also good for pushing into the weirder realms

Deja Vu is a cool little delay that has some nice features like pitch modulation and reverse mode. And as someone has already suggested, Relapse is excellent
I like that someone mentioned reverbs as sound manglers since i just realized that Rv7000 has some more stuff than "just a reverb", especially if go to the modulation stuff and spring reverbs...I totally agree, that a good reverb (also convolution) can be great sound manipulators!
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

01 Nov 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
31 Oct 2018

Does the AD 480 ever go on sale? I'll admit when I think of sound manglers reverb rarely crosses my mind but I hear it used creatively on lots of things! I'm gonna have to trial this one at some point. Thanks for mentioning this.

Loque

01 Nov 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
01 Nov 2018
dvdrtldg wrote:
31 Oct 2018

Does the AD 480 ever go on sale? I'll admit when I think of sound manglers reverb rarely crosses my mind but I hear it used creatively on lots of things! I'm gonna have to trial this one at some point. Thanks for mentioning this.
Rarely... But the last time it was quite cheap. There is also a follower, but only a VST since Fiedler left the RE platform.
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

Get kHS transgate. Set up a few of them in parallel and then a different glitch effect(s) after each transgate. So every time the gate opens it goes to a filter or to a reverse delay, or to a reverb, and so on. You can basically build up your own "Looperator" like this, with limitless glitch effect chains after each transgate.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

01 Nov 2018

Boombastix wrote:
01 Nov 2018
Get kHS transgate. Set up a few of them in parallel and then a different glitch effect(s) after each transgate. So every time the gate opens it goes to a filter or to a reverse delay, or to a reverb, and so on. You can basically build up your own "Looperator" like this, with limitless glitch effect chains after each transgate.
Nice idea!
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

01 Nov 2018

Beat chop is very fun. But i find distillery to be way better

You really need spectre the spectral delay. However the effect introduces latency to the signal so to get a useful sound automate the drywet as well as the on/off/bypass switch
This will let you have the dry signal and the timing will still be on point
The spectral delay unit by air raid audio is amazing for adding weird mangled fills for top loops or anything where you want a blurry mess of sound (I mean that in a good way)

You should probably look into trying to sequence effect parameters.
Idk if U-he still even offers the rack extensions anymore but they have the uhbik series and the uhbik g and uhbik s are wonderful at making odd sounds

Two devices that can replace these are the air raid audio g delay
And echobode

Imo just get the air raid audio bundle of their modular effects. Each one is top notch. The Chorus is not only a beast for stereo sounds, but has a very strong signal with its short delays. I use it on ensemble mode with a negative feedback and automate the delay time and feedback. This creates very nice flanger stab sounds on top of what ever signal. This is also how many dubstep and riddim tracks are being made(growl FM with a high octave modulator and a comb filter or short delay - feedback and automate delay time and feedback as well as mix amount)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Bumbum

01 Nov 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
31 Oct 2018

yeah ad480 is really cool,there is so much to modulate!

dvdrtldg

01 Nov 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
01 Nov 2018
dvdrtldg wrote:
31 Oct 2018

Yes! I think I picked it up for $19 or something ridiculous like that. Almost passed on it because I thought I didn't need another reverb, but couldn't resist the price. Now I use it all the time

For "regular" reverb duties it takes a little getting used to (took me, anyway), does rooms & subtle ambiences particularly well

MannequinRaces

01 Nov 2018

Boombastix wrote:
01 Nov 2018
I’m gonna try this out ASAP. Thank you. Got any sound samples of you using it in this manner?

• Information