Worth buying Polysix?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2018

I know the differences between the two Korg REs have been discussed to death. I’ve got MonoPoly but for some reason a lot of my favourite refills have combinators using only the Polysix. I’d love to be able to use those combis as I’m pretty sure they’re cool but at the same time I’m under the impression that the two Korgs are pretty much the same in terms of the sounds they create and to be totally honest I don’t need another synth. Anybody able to shed some light and convince me otherwise? And I know that the choice is ultimately mine. Just asking for some advice :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

27 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
27 Oct 2018
I know the differences between the two Korg REs have been discussed to death. I’ve got MonoPoly but for some reason a lot of my favourite refills have combinators using only the Polysix. I’d love to be able to use those combis as I’m pretty sure they’re cool but at the same time I’m under the impression that the two Korgs are pretty much the same in terms of the sounds they create and to be totally honest I don’t need another synth. Anybody able to shed some light and convince me otherwise? And I know that the choice is ultimately mine. Just asking for some advice :).
I have them both and i wouldn't be without either. The polsix is more defined, more 80s, and more awesome for basslines. If you can afford it, it's a great buy. Not that many presets but they're very tweakable cause the interface is simple.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2018

Thanks Zac. “More 80s” sounds good. But how “more 80s” in relation to MonoPoly?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

27 Oct 2018

It's much less about the detuning and stereo width. Much more about up the middle and strident. It's not particularly cool sounding on its own cf modern stuff but it sounds so good in contrast. Just my opinion. Make your own mind up. There's tonnes of info and sounds out there.

I know raymondh of Pacific Deep loves it. Look them up. They are big time reason users.

Actually don't buy it. It's rubbish. Very old now.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2018

Cool. Thanks again. The only real reason I’d get it , as I said, is just so I can use the combis available in refills like Bitley’s Fairlight and Synclavier. Also pretty 80s :). I’ll give it a look :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
27 Oct 2018

???!!! 😂😂😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

27 Oct 2018

Heh. I'd buy it everyday of the week because it's so easy to program. Almost like Subtractor. If you're not a knob twister maybe it's not your thing. Just thought since you have monopoly you might know a thing or two. Polysix is simpler in many ways.

Zac

27 Oct 2018

Ok. Simple answer. Yes it's worth buying.

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2018

It's worth buying if you need a synth like this (which I would describe as immediately useful for 70s/80s music), but it's NOT worth it if you just want to hear Bitley's patches. I have both and I can re-create Polysix's patches on the Monopoly without trying hard. I use Polysix's Fat Line Bass on almost every track, and I also recreated it on the Monopoly, but I use the Polysix more often because it's simple and more immediate.

Basically, for $50, it's not worth it if you don't need another synth.

However, if you're in search of a RE synth to do 80s music with, then the Polysix does certain 80s sounds more easily than other RE synths can't without major tweaking, so it's worth it. But you can also do them on the Monopoly, which you already have. So then it's not worth it. Although the Polysix has onboard effects - which might give it a different flavor than the Mono. But the Mono has 4 oscillators so you can kind of emulate the Polysix's lushifying effects. But then the Polysix is a lot simpler. So THAT'S worth it - for me.

Fuck it - just get both. Wait - no, it's really not worth it.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

raymondh

28 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
27 Oct 2018
It's much less about the detuning and stereo width. Much more about up the middle and strident. It's not particularly cool sounding on its own cf modern stuff but it sounds so good in contrast. Just my opinion. Make your own mind up. There's tonnes of info and sounds out there.

I know raymondh of Pacific Deep loves it. Look them up. They are big time reason users.

Thanks Zac. Yes I was going to weigh in with what made is so good, but you perfectly summed it up already!

raymondh

28 Oct 2018

hurricane wrote:
27 Oct 2018
But you can also do them on the Monopoly, which you already have. So then it's not worth it. Although the Polysix has onboard effects - which might give it a different flavor than the Mono. But the Mono has 4 oscillators so you can kind of emulate the Polysix's lushifying effects. But then the Polysix is a lot simpler. So THAT'S worth it - for me.
Yes this. A bit like why you'd get a Roland Juno when you already had a Jupiter :)
(although the Juno and Jupiter also had very different sounding filters)

The only reason not to by the Polysix is because of it's dreaded leaky battery problem.
Oh wait, that's the hardware :)

MannequinRaces

28 Oct 2018

Slightly off topic but a nice RE for sampled 80s goodness is Layers: https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-extension/layers/.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2018

Thanks folks. All clear now. No Polysix for me :). Appreciate the help. Thanks again. :):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Magnus

28 Oct 2018

With the right programming Thor can cover a lot of the Korg bases:

dvdrtldg

28 Oct 2018

^^^ Interesting, I'm a big fan of MonoPoly and use it a lot, but I preferred the Thor version in 2 out of those 3 examples

moneykube

28 Oct 2018

got em both... love em both
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

OverneathTheSkyBridg

30 Oct 2018

Watch out for the sales, they usually show up 50% off like twice a year. Ive got them bith and love them as well :-)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

• Information