Rent-To-Own in the Propshop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

24 Oct 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Rent-to-own sounds better all round. Better for us & better (I would imagine) for developers. I pref this to the subscription model. Will this be scrapped? I guess at the moment the rent-to-own section only has a handful of RE's in it. No doubt this will grow. I'd go for this if there were RE's in there I was interested. I've not warmed to the subscription idea at all.
It could be difficult to scrap if people are using it and their projects depend on it for REs that they otherwise can't afford to buy all at once or pay $9.99 per product every month. The total per month is quite different to subscribe vs. RTO. And would also depend I suppose on developers offering their products to RTO. So unless they can figure an attractive way to transition folks from subscription to RTO, somehow grandfathering them in with what they have paid, I would think they would keep both.

MannequinRaces

25 Oct 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Oct 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Seeing as how all those devices will be going on sale at least four times per yer I see no benefit in paying full price for them spread out over many months. Not quite sure what the allure is. If you want something specific just put aside the money and buy it when it goes on sale... maybe I'm missing something?
I mean, why do people use credit cards instead of saving and waiting to get the thing in the January or Summer sales? Maybe a weird comparison as they're usually high ticket items but...I guess it's the same? Ish? Like I know I could ultimately save money if I just saved and bought every device I currently have on subscription. But I'm not sure when would be a good time to part with 3-400 bucks. And in tough months, yeah, 17 a month for access to all the racks in my sub is better than paying 30 or 50 or 99 to replace just one of them. At least with rent-to-own you're spreading the cost AND there's an end to it. Ultimately as long as there's an option, then it's not hurting anyone. Some will buy, some will rent.
People use credit cards because they like paying interest, have a zero percent interest card and can pay later, or get rewards for using their card that make them feel warm and fuzzy inside. I have no gripes with subscriptions (I haven't done any yet but can see the benefits for people). I'm having trouble grasping the pros of rent-to-own. For example Parsec, rent-to-own is $119 so 12 payments or so (I don't know how tax is handled, etc.). The Synthetic Rig 3 (I think it's up to version 3) will more than likely go on sale for the holidays for $149. For $30 more you can get many, many other synths including Parsec: Legend, Expanse, some other heavy hitters. At the end of the day I think it's great that we Reason users have choices. Rent-To-Own isn't for me in this context. It makes more sense for larger ticket items that don't go on sale.

seqoi

25 Oct 2018

Rent to own is a step in good direction. I like it. Just my two cents.

antic604

25 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
25 Oct 2018
I'm having trouble grasping the pros of rent-to-own. For example Parsec, rent-to-own is $119 so 12 payments or so (I don't know how tax is handled, etc.). The Synthetic Rig 3 (I think it's up to version 3) will more than likely go on sale for the holidays for $149. For $30 more you can get many, many other synths including Parsec: Legend, Expanse, some other heavy hitters. At the end of the day I think it's great that we Reason users have choices. Rent-To-Own isn't for me in this context. It makes more sense for larger ticket items that don't go on sale.
Two possible cases:
- someone missed the sale because they overlooked it or didn't have the money right there & then, but they "need" that synth or effect to write music now and can't wait until next sale that'll happen in few months and may or may not include the device in question,
- the total of rent-to-own payments equal the upfront cost of the device, so for example myself I can go right now to the shop & buy few synths because I do have the money, but if I have the option to spread thet upfront cost in time with added benefit of opting-out halfway through if something happened (sure, I'd lose half of the money then, but buying upfront I'd lose everything because REs can't be resold), then I'm all for it as well!

antic604

25 Oct 2018

seqoi wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Rent to own is a step in good direction. I like it. Just my two cents.
Agree! And I think, with the technology in place, they'll extend that eventually to the VSTs which would be sweet as currently Splice is the only one doing it (to my knowledge) and their selection is pretty limited.

antic604

25 Oct 2018

Ok, you'll think I'm gross and a pervert, but the way she phrases "price you can AFFORD" at 0:05 and then "and own TOMORROW" at 0:35 sound really seductive.

Actually, I just might go and buy PX7 even though I have it already... :oops: ;) :D

Ixus

25 Oct 2018

Sounds better than the subscription, but nothing that interests me, If i wan 1 RE I shall buy it. I don't like the idea of monthly payments in my music software.

Faastwalker

25 Oct 2018

joeyluck wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Rent-to-own sounds better all round. Better for us & better (I would imagine) for developers. I pref this to the subscription model. Will this be scrapped? I guess at the moment the rent-to-own section only has a handful of RE's in it. No doubt this will grow. I'd go for this if there were RE's in there I was interested. I've not warmed to the subscription idea at all.
It could be difficult to scrap if people are using it and their projects depend on it for REs that they otherwise can't afford to buy all at once or pay $9.99 per product every month. The total per month is quite different to subscribe vs. RTO. And would also depend I suppose on developers offering their products to RTO. So unless they can figure an attractive way to transition folks from subscription to RTO, somehow grandfathering them in with what they have paid, I would think they would keep both.
Then throw sales, Rewards & intro prices into the mix. Things seem to be getting a little messy in the Prop Shop.

I wonder what's going to happen next?! :roll: I don't think I want to know! :|

joeyluck

25 Oct 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
25 Oct 2018
joeyluck wrote:
24 Oct 2018

Then throw sales, Rewards & intro prices into the mix. Things seem to be getting a little messy in the Prop Shop.

There will be an additional option and button to 'Not Buy' where disgruntled folks who don't feel they get enough venting out about REs they don't like can click it to hopefully have some closure.

Creativemind

25 Oct 2018

The first developers I'd like to see on board with this would be Kilohearts, Skrock Music, Selig Audio, Softube and Quadelectra. Zvork as well. Wouldn't mind Noxious.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Faastwalker

25 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote:
25 Oct 2018
The first developers I'd like to see on board with this would be Kilohearts, Skrock Music, Selig Audio, Softube and Quadelectra. Zvork as well. Wouldn't mind Noxious.
I guess it's more viable for the developers at the higher end of the pricing market. So Softube would be a great one to have on board. I might even finally buy that nice reverb via rent-to-own ;)

antic604

26 Oct 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
25 Oct 2018

I've an idea! They charge us $19 we - each one of us individually - get a random RE we don't own normally priced $9-$99 :D

antic604

26 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Wouldn't mind Blamsoft joining in as well - I'd buy Zero the moment it shows up there :)

Loque

26 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Oct 2018
Creativemind wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Wouldn't mind Blamsoft joining in as well - I'd buy Zero the moment it shows up there :)
You dont have Zero? :o
Reason12, Win10

antic604

26 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
26 Oct 2018
antic604 wrote:
26 Oct 2018

No, I don't like the GUI (yeah, I'm pathetic...) but that's one of the exceptions where the workflow, sound and demos/presets make me wanto to get it regardless :)

Loque

26 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Oct 2018
Loque wrote:
26 Oct 2018

No, I don't like the GUI (yeah, I'm pathetic...) but that's one of the exceptions where the workflow, sound and demos/presets make me wanto to get it regardless :)
:? Which GUI do you like?
Reason12, Win10

antic604

26 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
26 Oct 2018
:? Which GUI do you like?
From the ones I own - Europa, Grain, Maelstrom, Kong, Redrum, NN-19, Radical Piano, Pulveriser, Synchronous, Alligator, Pulsar, Neptune, Expanse, Fritz/PSQ (and other Panda's stuff), FM4, PX7, Parsec v1, Polar, Sidechain ReAction, Selig's stuff, Antidote, The Legend, Synapse's FX units, Uberwave's devices, Distillery, Spectra, ABL3

From the ones I don't - Vk-1 (I have Vk-2, love its sound but hate the look), Hydronexious, Jiggery-Pokery FX, D16 FX, Etch Red, Kratos2, 3Plex, Beatchop, Echobode...

I can't really tell what all of them have in common, but they're simply pleasing to the eye with high attention to detail, great colour choices, layouts that would work in real life and make sense functionally. Lot's of them look like they could be real hardware, but similar number is highly stylised. It just needs to look "pro", I guess :)

Creativemind

26 Oct 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Creativemind wrote:
25 Oct 2018
I guess it's more viable for the developers at the higher end of the pricing market. So Softube would be a great one to have on board. I might even finally buy that nice reverb via rent-to-own ;)
Now I'm intrigued...Spring or TSAR -1 / TSAR-1R?

Creativemind

26 Oct 2018

Rent-To-Own is worth doing just for the Rent-To-Own meter that apparently you'll get on your account. :lol:
Attachments
Rent-To-Own.PNG
Rent-To-Own.PNG (4.75 KiB) Viewed 1852 times

BRIGGS

29 Oct 2018

own? who owns software?

more like "licensed to use"
r11s

Rason

31 Oct 2018

Has anyone heard other devs would be added to rent to own? It has been out for some time now but still nothing.

sent using Tapatalk

Zac

31 Oct 2018

Rason wrote:
31 Oct 2018
Has anyone heard other devs would be added to rent to own? It has been out for some time now but still nothing.

sent using Tapatalk
This is just another poorly thought out OUT for poor selling REs IMO.

It may expand a bit as rewards did. But that has been stagnent for a long time. I don't know what the Props terms for Rent To Own would be for devs but I'd imagine it would involve a yet further percentage take for implementing it.

But I'm being cynical. I have no idea really.

• Information