Rent-To-Own in the Propshop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

24 Oct 2018

Noplan wrote:
24 Oct 2018
aeox wrote:
24 Oct 2018

Hmm, I don't see why they would make another drum RE.. maybe it's just a more vintage themed sampler?
Here's the "leaked" RE. they have made a version for people who do not like techno.
ba dum tss.jpg
Just in case anyone asks, this is not a leaked image, it's a photoshopped version of the Club drum RE.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

Noplan wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Here's the "leaked" RE. they have made a version for people who do not like techno.
ba dum tss.jpg
:lol: If i saw this post before Seligs, I probably would have fallen for that.

Noplan
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Noplan wrote:
24 Oct 2018
ba dum tss.jpg
I thought it was clear. Propellerheads would never give their REs such weird names. Oh wait...

selig
RE Developer

24 Oct 2018

Noplan wrote:
24 Oct 2018
aeox wrote:
24 Oct 2018

I thought it was clear. Propellerheads would never give their REs such weird names. Oh wait...
ha - I didn't even notice the name (and the pac man) at first - most of use would be focused on the features… ;)

The name on the tape strip was what gave it away, eventually… ;)

Nice work, btw!
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

24 Oct 2018

Seems like a step in a good direction.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Noplan
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Noplan wrote:
24 Oct 2018

ha - I didn't even notice the name (and the pac man) at first - most of use would be focused on the features… ;)

The name on the tape strip was what gave it away, eventually… ;)

Nice work, btw!
I`m glad that it was good enough to fool you. ;)

Noplan
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

But back on topic. I love the rent-to-own option. way better than subscription. Everyone has something of that. so far there has only been positive feedback and that is always a good sign.

EnochLight

24 Oct 2018

It would be cool to expand this to the full version of Reason itself. But since paying $9.99/month would take people 40 months to pay off (assuming Reason is $399), they should include free upgrades to any version of Reason up to that point (month 40). Then, once it's paid off, you own it free and clear like any other version (and hence, are subject to buying full-version upgrades after month 40).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kitekrazy

24 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Seeing as how all those devices will be going on sale at least four times per yer I see no benefit in paying full price for them spread out over many months. Not quite sure what the allure is. If you want something specific just put aside the money and buy it when it goes on sale... maybe I'm missing something?
This . Did anyone check if some REs went up in price?

chimp_spanner

24 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Seeing as how all those devices will be going on sale at least four times per yer I see no benefit in paying full price for them spread out over many months. Not quite sure what the allure is. If you want something specific just put aside the money and buy it when it goes on sale... maybe I'm missing something?
I mean, why do people use credit cards instead of saving and waiting to get the thing in the January or Summer sales? Maybe a weird comparison as they're usually high ticket items but...I guess it's the same? Ish? Like I know I could ultimately save money if I just saved and bought every device I currently have on subscription. But I'm not sure when would be a good time to part with 3-400 bucks. And in tough months, yeah, 17 a month for access to all the racks in my sub is better than paying 30 or 50 or 99 to replace just one of them. At least with rent-to-own you're spreading the cost AND there's an end to it. Ultimately as long as there's an option, then it's not hurting anyone. Some will buy, some will rent.

EdGrip

24 Oct 2018

Much better than subscriptions - I think everyone will do well out of this; PH, devs, and users.

Noplan
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
24 Oct 2018
If you want something specific just put aside the money and buy it when it goes on sale... maybe I'm missing something?
but if you only need one plugin for a particular project, it's still better to pay a smaller amount to use it. To be honest, we have all the plugins lying around we've bought through hypes, but then have not used them so often that you can justify the full price. This new option will make it cheaper and allow us to use more plugins. in the end you really only buy plugins that you often use and so you have less risk of bad purchases. I like the idea behind it.

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

buddard wrote:
24 Oct 2018

OK, time to guess names:
  • Splat
  • Tchak
  • Pow
  • ...?
My money is on POW!

Although I somehow goof'd up the exposure on this... oh well :D
Last edited by aeox on 26 Oct 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Zac

24 Oct 2018

Rich people don't need this.

So this is aimed at people with lower incomes.

People who can't afford a plugin through their music output.

But that's a huge market. Aspirations are like dreams. Who wouldn't pay £7.99 a month for that? Supersplaron is banking on it. I'm not picking on someone here. They have been present on this forum ever since this announcement.

I see this as a tax. There's no interest rate. But would you really buy this? Right now at full price?

I hate it.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

24 Oct 2018

I'm hoping they put more stuff in the rent to own section, I've already got a couple of those ones! Will this be up to the devs?

Creativemind

24 Oct 2018

RoryM0 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
What's this? Screenshot_20181024-170831.jpg
Looks like a tape on the right, something with built in Tape Saturation or could it be a Tape Stop effect?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Heigen5

24 Oct 2018

At least Props didn't check nobodies credit history, which is very rare.

Creativemind

24 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
24 Oct 2018
buddard wrote:
24 Oct 2018

OK, time to guess names:
  • Splat
  • Tchak
  • Pow
  • ...?
My money is on POW!

Or "Doosh!" :lol:

Creativemind

24 Oct 2018

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
24 Oct 2018
I'm hoping they put more stuff in the rent to own section, I've already got a couple of those ones! Will this be up to the devs?
Yes, I would like to know if non Propellerhead Re's will be in the 'Rent To Own'.

Any devs want to chime in here and tell us whether Propellerhead have asked you to be a part of it?

miscend

24 Oct 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Oct 2018
RoryM0 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
What's this? Screenshot_20181024-170831.jpg
Looks like they are going to release another Drum RE similar to Umpf.
Possibly with modelled drums instead of samples

jam-s

24 Oct 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
They don't need to as its paid upfront if I got it correctly. If you don't pay for month 2 your license/authorisation for the RE will most likely expire.

Heigen5

24 Oct 2018

jam-s wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
They don't need to as its paid upfront if I got it correctly. If you don't pay for month 2 your license/authorisation for the RE will most likely expire.
Yes but they still don't check it and propably lots of the people will take care of their part to pay it off just in time.

ast3rix

24 Oct 2018

This is a really cool idea. I like the idea of being able to get a plugin now for at a small cost and pay it out over time. I've acquired a lot music gear that way... from pawn shop lay a ways...on thing about those is you had to pay it all the way out before you could get the item. By the time you had it paid off you have forgotten about what your going to use it for... :o)

Faastwalker

24 Oct 2018

Rent-to-own sounds better all round. Better for us & better (I would imagine) for developers. I pref this to the subscription model. Will this be scrapped? I guess at the moment the rent-to-own section only has a handful of RE's in it. No doubt this will grow. I'd go for this if there were RE's in there I was interested. I've not warmed to the subscription idea at all.

Faastwalker

24 Oct 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
24 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
24 Oct 2018

Yep.
I ain't gonna be the bearer of alternative news. What with my reputation ;)
There's more? Come on, you've got to tell us now! :D

• Information