Sales: A nail in the coffin?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2018

Been thinking about it recently. When REs first arrived there was usually an intro price for a week or so then they went to full price. I bought oh so many as and when they were released. Sales didn’t happen. Up to maybe a year ago (maybe a little more) I was still buying REs at full price but then I took a step back and started thinking “do I really NEED it now or can I wait?”. I have since become a strategic (cynical?) purchaser and I’m pretty sure I’m not in the minority. Everything (well sonic charge and Peff being the exception) goes on sale and nearly always a LOT cheaper. Whereas the “no sale” situation in the past combined with no alternative plugin option served as a source of revenue I’m wondering if the new established norm (just wait and get it cheaper) is, as they say, a nail in the coffin. Maybe not. I don’t know.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rcbuse
RE Developer

22 Oct 2018

I think you see this pattern all over the place. A product gets released, a short intro price for the people that follow really close, and then full price. Each sale typically knocks off a little bit more to attract more and more buyers. Newer stuff typically doesn't get that much of a discount, older stuff gets more. While there are plenty of people that wait, there are plenty of people that want it now and are not going to hold out for 6-9 months.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
22 Oct 2018
I think you see this pattern all over the place. A product gets released, a short intro price for the people that follow really close, and then full price. Each sale typically knocks off a little bit more to attract more and more buyers. Newer stuff typically doesn't get that much of a discount, older stuff gets more. While there are plenty of people that wait, there are plenty of people that want it now and are not going to hold out for 6-9 months.
I’m not arguing with what you say at all but the thing is that it never is 6-9 months. It’s summer, Black Friday, Xmas, Spring, Ernsts birthday etc.
Just to get it said, this is not a complaint, more an observation.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rcbuse
RE Developer

22 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
22 Oct 2018
I’m not arguing with what you say at all but the thing is that it never is 6-9 months. It’s summer, Black Friday, Xmas, Spring, Ernsts birthday etc.
At least for my stuff, the first few sales within that first year are not going to go down very much. Older stuff however, thats going to get the crazy discounts as well as normal price reductions. I don't think its a nail in any coffin, just normal business practices.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
22 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
22 Oct 2018
At least for my stuff, the first few sales within that first year are not going to go down very much. Older stuff however, thats going to get the crazy discounts as well as normal price reductions. I don't think its a nail in any coffin, just normal business practices.
Ok. Thanks. Good to hear. Especially from a developer (and one of the best if I can say so without sounding sycophantic :) ).
Actually the observation was maybe more on myself than anything else. That I am one of those who do wait now that that I know that something will probably EVENTUALLY go on sale.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

22 Oct 2018

Competitive market and sale strategy. No one needs to do a sale, but if someone does not he won't sell much in a sale. Lot of ppl satisfied with good products, sell more products... And so forth...
Reason12, Win10

Aosta

22 Oct 2018

I haven't bought a RE for over two years, I just don't need them, I have more than enough 'gear' to make as many sounds I like already.
Tend the flame

EdGrip

22 Oct 2018

I joined at Reason 8 and sales were already established then.

mreese80

22 Oct 2018

The only rack extension I have ever bought was Selig Gain. I love Reason but I have no interest in those hi priced rack extensions. I have way to many vsts to ever need to buy a RE.They are not for me. But i will always upgrade Reason
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

dvdrtldg

23 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
22 Oct 2018
So what you're saying is, Torsion won't be going for $19 this Black Friday

Bummer

MannequinRaces

23 Oct 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
23 Oct 2018
rcbuse wrote:
22 Oct 2018

Bummer
Lol, I bought it at the intro price. Still smiling ear to ear at the wonderful sounds it can make. It was certainly a case for me of I WANT THIS NOW. I also want Kompulsion really bad but already have Propulsion and Korde so I'm in no big rush.

To the OP sales are as common as the rising and setting of the sun. I kinda of like the developers that never put anything on sale because I know I won't be losing out on a deal, lol. Patience is a virtue for sure though.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
23 Oct 2018
dvdrtldg wrote:
23 Oct 2018

Bummer
Lol, I bought it at the intro price. Still smiling ear to ear at the wonderful sounds it can make. It was certainly a case for me of I WANT THIS NOW. I also want Kompulsion really bad but already have Propulsion and Korde so I'm in no big rush.

To the OP sales are as common as the rising and setting of the sun. I kinda of like the developers that never put anything on sale because I know I won't be losing out on a deal, lol. Patience is a virtue for sure though.
That's what I'm getting at. Sure...there's things you want straight away. Animus for me. I wanted and waited and waited and waited then waited some more forBuffRE to go on sale and then one glorious day...The Synthetic Rig. Bought!!!

My point is really that when REs were introduced (if my memory serves) there were no sales. There also was no VST support. People bought the REs. Propellerheads happy. Developers happy. Customers happy. Suddenly there's sales and now (at least) some people expect (apparently quite correctly) that stuff will eventually be reduced by a considerable amount. Of course there's people who buy on day one. All I' saying is that there's maybe a lot less. But hey...I don't actually know as I don't have the sales figures.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2018

If the price is fair from the start and it's something I want NOW, I'll buy it even if I know it'll most likely go on sale later on.

But with some REs you just know the price is set way to high and you expect the price to go down drastically during a sale. I'm looking at you Propellerhead. With a few exceptions PHs REs are always priced way to high, especially when some of them will get included in future Reason upgrades.

But to be honest, when the Synapse collection deal went for just 99 bucks recently I almost felt a bit sad. Imo it includes some of the most high quality REs and to see that price for such awesome REs almost made me feel like the RE market lost a lot of value.

EdGrip

23 Oct 2018

RX950 was one I just bought immediately - very fair price, fun effect, love that filter... Bought!

Undistraction

23 Oct 2018

All the big developers have abandoned Rack Extensions now, so they're just rinsing what they can with minimal effort. The RE market has reached saturation now, and the user base is at best flatlining and at worst shrinking. I think the only thing that is keeping REs boyant in any way are 1. The occasional quality and interesting RE (Noise Engineering, Mathew Demage, Lectric Panda), 2. The fact nobody can sell their REs 3. Firesale prices.

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2018

Undistraction wrote:
23 Oct 2018
All the big developers have abandoned Rack Extensions now, so they're just rinsing what they can with minimal effort. The RE market has reached saturation now, and the user base is at best flatlining and at worst shrinking. I think the only thing that is keeping REs boyant in any way are 1. The occasional quality and interesting RE (Noise Engineering, Mathew Demage, Lectric Panda), 2. The fact nobody can sell their REs 3. Firesale prices.
Open your eyes and ears.. there are TONS of quality and interesting RE

Undistraction

23 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
23 Oct 2018
Undistraction wrote:
23 Oct 2018
Open your eyes and ears.. there are TONS of quality and interesting RE
I didn't say there weren't any interesting REs. I'm saying there are barely any new REs, and of the ones there are, only a few are interesting. The RE market is stagnant because most people have bought most of the REs they need, (in all the bargain basement sales), and there aren't many quality new ones to keep it buoyant. Compare this to VSTs where there are an almost infinite number of interesting VSTs and the number is added to relentlessly by a wealth of quality, well-resourced and well-known developers.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2018

I guess it’s got to be a bit like that. I’ve got all the delays, choruses, compressors, Glitch machines, synths, keyboards, amps and all of their variations that I’m ever going to need personally. Feels like saturation point. However, now and then some visionary developer comes with something new and awesome or something which has a quality which surpasses everything else in the category. It’s those people that keep the REs going and I hope that they continue. I appreciate the time, effort, energy and enthusiasm they put in.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2018

Undistraction wrote:
23 Oct 2018
Compare this to VSTs where there are an almost infinite number of interesting VSTs and the number is added to relentlessly by a wealth of quality, well-resourced and well-known developers.
There are very little interesting VST to me! Why do you think I ended up using Reason and RE? Seems you are overlooking the big picture of what Reason is.
Why do devs need to be "well known"? I didn't know who any of the amazing RE devs were before finding out about Reason.

Again, how can you compare something like RE to VST?

Improvements will be made to the SDK over time and with those improvements, devs will continue to update and make new exciting RE.
Reason is just getting started in the grand scheme. :twisted:

Undistraction

23 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2018
I guess it’s got to be a bit like that. I’ve got all the delays, choruses, compressors, Glitch machines, synths, keyboards, amps and all of their variations that I’m ever going to need personally. Feels like saturation point. However, now and then some visionary developer comes with something new and awesome or something which has a quality which surpasses everything else in the category. It’s those people that keep the REs going and I hope that they continue. I appreciate the time, effort, energy and enthusiasm they put in.
I think there is actually loads of scope for new REs, but all the obvious stuff has been done, and there are so few developers making REs now that we are only going to get something interesting every once in a while.

It might sound like I don't like REs, but the opposite is true. I love REs, but Propellerhead have allowed the ecosystem to die.
Improvements will be made to the SDK over time and with those improvements, devs will continue to update and make new exciting RE.
Reason is just getting started in the grand scheme.
Yeah yeah. One day ... There are barely any active devs left. If you think Reason is 'just getting started' you are completely deluded.

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2018

Undistraction wrote:
23 Oct 2018
Yeah yeah. One day ... There are barely any active devs left. If you think Reason is 'just getting started' you are completely deluded.
Deluded? Sure, if you want to call it that. I just call it optimism, of course I don't literally think that they are just getting started.

Best to just continue on making music instead of all the fear-mongering and stressing of whether or not the DAW is going to flop. It'll be fine.. go make some tunes.

selig
RE Developer

23 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2018
I guess it’s got to be a bit like that. I’ve got all the delays, choruses, compressors, Glitch machines, synths, keyboards, amps and all of their variations that I’m ever going to need personally. Feels like saturation point.
Saturation Point - great name for a new RE! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
23 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2018
I guess it’s got to be a bit like that. I’ve got all the delays, choruses, compressors, Glitch machines, synths, keyboards, amps and all of their variations that I’m ever going to need personally. Feels like saturation point.
:lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
23 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2018
My gift to you. Do it!!! :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

23 Oct 2018

Undistraction wrote:
23 Oct 2018
The small niche developers is where it's at. Who cares if the 'big' ones don't make REs, that's what VST support is for. I think at this point most of the leg work for the Propellerhead Shop has been done so any RE sale is mostly profit for the Props (their share anyway). Just because you don't like what's being offered in RE format doesn't mean others won't. Seems like lots of people checking out Reason now because of VST support and that in turn will drive more RE sales.

• Information