Was Peff’s CrapRE ever free?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2018

Just wondered...I’d taken a break from all things technological when it came out so can’t remember. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Data_Shrine

20 Oct 2018

I think it was an april fool's joke free RE ? But since then it's never been on sale, as far as I know.

joeyluck

20 Oct 2018

No it was never free.

The first version, available for a limited time, was $9

If I remember correctly, No.2 had an intro price, but it too was never free

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2018

Is it total crap?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

20 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
20 Oct 2018
Is it total crap?
:lol:

It is fantastic IMO. It's great for sound design.
Developed in partnership with Magnus of Sonic Charge and craptacular GUI by Bitplant lol, who have done GUI work for Reason devices. It's a pretty fun collaboration of old school Reason veterans.

And Deadmau5 endorsed it, FWIW

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2018

joeyluck wrote:
20 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
20 Oct 2018
Is it total crap?
:lol:

It is fantastic IMO. It's great for sound design.
Developed in partnership with Magnus of Sonic Charge and craptacular GUI by Bitplant lol, who have done GUI work for Reason devices. It's a pretty fun collaboration of old school Reason veterans.

Ha ha :). Thanks :). Are you working on commission? :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Data_Shrine

20 Oct 2018

I always wanted to buy it but since I started using real 4-tracks and cassette decks, i've hesitated. But still maybe one day i'll get it.. CrapRE.. on tape. :P

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
20 Oct 2018
I always wanted to buy it but since I started using real 4-tracks and cassette decks, i've hesitated. But still maybe one day i'll get it.. CrapRE.. on tape. :P
Even though it's a joke plugin it is still pretty damn useful. Setting aside the cassette emulation aspect and it's great as a distortion unit and I've used it in plenty of songs . Of course there are only certain settings that actually works for serious use but that's alright.

Here are 3 tracks where I've used it on drums, the most obvious being on the "Snakebite" track.

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2018

It tends to find its way into every track I make. There's always at least one instrument that benefits from it.

adfielding

21 Oct 2018

joeyluck wrote:
20 Oct 2018
Ha! I did not know that, that's super interesting. I still use CrapRE 2 from time to time, it's great :)

Libraquaricorn

21 Oct 2018

I'm a big fan of CrapRe as well, and other lofi plugs like DAW Cassette by Klevgrand https://klevgrand.se/products/dawcassette/ and Reels by AudioThing https://www.audiothing.net/effects/reels/

FLVZ

22 Oct 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Data_Shrine wrote:
20 Oct 2018
Even though it's a joke plugin it is still pretty damn useful. Setting aside the cassette emulation aspect and it's great as a distortion unit and I've used it in plenty of songs . Of course there are only certain settings that actually works for serious use but that's alright.

Here are 3 tracks where I've used it on drums, the most obvious being on the "Snakebite" track.

Dude, how are you not signed to an electronic music label yet?! You make some of the absolute best music I hear in these forums!!! I can hear Snakebite being signed to like a dubstep label for definite!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2018

I think it’s pretty funny (if that’s the right word) that Peff never has stuff on sale. Like he’s just sitting there thinking ha ha, buy it if you want, I don’t care ‘cos I’m doing other cool stuff. I may of course be completely wrong :):):).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdGrip

22 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
22 Oct 2018
I think it’s pretty funny (if that’s the right word) that Peff never has stuff on sale. Like he’s just sitting there thinking ha ha, buy it if you want, I don’t care ‘cos I’m doing other cool stuff. I may of course be completely wrong :):):).
It's like how Valhalla don't do sales. This is the price, it's a fair price, buy it or don't buy it. I love it. Means I don't have to think about WHEN I buy their stuff.

Totally agree RE TritoneAddiction making absolute bangers!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2018

Thanks for the nice comments guys :D

Faastwalker

23 Oct 2018

I love the CrapRE RE's. Ironic they were released as a joke. They're fantastic for adding grit, noise & distortion.

Personally I think we need more crap RE's in the shop to play with ;)

kuhliloach

23 Oct 2018

bring back CrapRE #1

EnochLight

23 Oct 2018

CrapRE - and CrapRE #2 are some of the best "busted tape" emulations on the market. Absolutely priceless for mangling audio and getting that true nasty tape sound from an old 80's deck that's been dropped down the stairs a few times after being left out in the rain. I know the first CrapRE was sort of a joke, but CrapRE #2 is a legit follow-up. Love them both!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Data_Shrine

24 Oct 2018

Flavolous wrote:
22 Oct 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Oct 2018

Dude, how are you not signed to an electronic music label yet?! You make some of the absolute best music I hear in these forums!!! I can hear Snakebite being signed to like a dubstep label for definite!

Ok that sounds really good... and great work on all theses tracks !

I'm curious about the bass on "darkness"... it's alright if you don't want to share your secret, but it really sounds like the bass in this Royksopp' track : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo6UnKr6Bwg

I got quite close with the SH-01A once but as I was just test driving it I didn't take notes of how I was able to get there.

• Information