New Note Mixer Player

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

10 Oct 2018

Promising and feature packed new player to mix midi and cv notes.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ix-player/
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

10 Oct 2018

Finds his wallet...

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2018

yea i'm into this. retouch are really making some useful players for me
- Certified Reason expert

PhillipOrdonez

11 Oct 2018

Need to play more with it but it looks useful. Is the snapshot thingy something one can draw automation for? Have not found the way to do it yet...

Bes
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

no automation on the snapshots

retouch use ALT+Click on the snapshot window to access the settings menu and reason uses ALT+Click to initiate a parameter automation lane so retouch have probably considered and dismissed the idea but i would definitely have made use of it if it was possible
- Certified Reason expert

Loque

12 Oct 2018

Bes wrote:
11 Oct 2018
no automation on the snapshots

retouch use ALT+Click on the snapshot window to access the settings menu and reason uses ALT+Click to initiate a parameter automation lane so retouch have probably considered and dismissed the idea but i would definitely have made use of it if it was possible
Alt+click for automation does not work for custom panels AFAIK.
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

12 Oct 2018

It sort of defeats the purpose of the feature then... I guess it's only for auditioning purposes... But then spending a long time adjusting the parameters for different "progressions" is a bit useless? Unless you can bounce notes to track for each setting one by one and then arrange to taste... I guess... But wouldn't it be easier to bounce one and then transpose variations from copies of that in the sequencer then?

Loque

12 Oct 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Oct 2018
It sort of defeats the purpose of the feature then... I guess it's only for auditioning purposes... But then spending a long time adjusting the parameters for different "progressions" is a bit useless? Unless you can bounce notes to track for each setting one by one and then arrange to taste... I guess... But wouldn't it be easier to bounce one and then transpose variations from copies of that in the sequencer then?
I will give this device a test-drive this weekend. I would use those features rather for note generation and taming and controlling the final notes. I would generate them with a sequencer, lfo or whatever, put them into a Scales&Chrods, split them with CVPT to different devices, and change octaves, use Note Echos and Scales&Chords....well, i will see when and where it ends...Mixing this with midi in general could be interesting too...
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

12 Oct 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Oct 2018
You can still record automation even if the Alt-click shortcut is not available. Just create a track for the device and arm it for recording, and any parameter change you make will be recorded and automation lanes will be created automatically -- Provided that the parameters you're changing support automation in the first place. (You can check this either in the automation dropdown menu in the sequencer, or in the combinator programmer.)

PhillipOrdonez

12 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
12 Oct 2018
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Oct 2018
I will give this device a test-drive this weekend. I would use those features rather for note generation and taming and controlling the final notes. I would generate them with a sequencer, lfo or whatever, put them into a Scales&Chrods, split them with CVPT to different devices, and change octaves, use Note Echos and Scales&Chords....well, i will see when and where it ends...Mixing this with midi in general could be interesting too...
The device is undeniably useful for taming randomised midi data in terms of pitch and velocity. Sort of, but not quite, like utl, but with knobs. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it after your test drive. I'm liking it for sure.

ljekio

27 Oct 2018

Ive not tested yet, but I want to know what function of that device might be usable?
What the Morph and for what?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2019

ljekio wrote:
27 Oct 2018
Ive not tested yet, but I want to know what function of that device might be usable?
What the Morph and for what?
Yeah. I’ve bought three of their REs already and I’m sure this player is useful but I’m just not sure for what ha ha. It’s been a while since this thread got started so what are folk thinking and doing with this RE? Is it a good ‘un?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

28 Jan 2019

buddard wrote:
12 Oct 2018
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Oct 2018
You can still record automation even if the Alt-click shortcut is not available. Just create a track for the device and arm it for recording, and any parameter change you make will be recorded and automation lanes will be created automatically -- Provided that the parameters you're changing support automation in the first place. (You can check this either in the automation dropdown menu in the sequencer, or in the combinator programmer.)
Thanks a lot, I don't know how I missed your answer the first time around, awesome!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
28 Jan 2019

Thanks a lot, I don't know how I missed your answer the first time around, awesome!
So is it any good? What do you use it for?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

28 Jan 2019

Haven't had time to experiment much with it, but on a couple of projects I've used it to transpose some notes in conjunction with the CV player tap, as in, a device plays a set of notes, and another device gets the same midi data via the tap, and transposes it accordingly with this player device. I need to play more with it... As you say, it is probably amazing as many of the other devices by that company are (I've grown to like them a lot).

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
28 Jan 2019
Haven't had time to experiment much with it, but on a couple of projects I've used it to transpose some notes in conjunction with the CV player tap, as in, a device plays a set of notes, and another device gets the same midi data via the tap, and transposes it accordingly with this player device. I need to play more with it... As you say, it is probably amazing as many of the other devices by that company are (I've grown to like them a lot).
Thanks for answering man. I’m bouncing this post back up on the off chance somebody didn’t see it and can give me some pointers as to possible uses. I guess I should maybe just trial it but any suggestions as to what to do with it would be great. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
29 Jan 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
28 Jan 2019
Thanks for answering man. I’m bouncing this post back up on the off chance somebody didn’t see it and can give me some pointers as to possible uses. I guess I should maybe just trial it but any suggestions as to what to do with it would be great. :).
No worries, I'm interested in knowing how to better use this device as well!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2019

Maybe someone from Retouch Control can chime in. A video maybe? :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Jan 2019
MrFigg wrote:
29 Jan 2019

Incidentally, did recording automation for snapshots as Buddard suggested above work? That is to say, does the snapshot parameter support automation?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
29 Jan 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Jan 2019

Incidentally, did recording automation for snapshots as Buddard suggested above work? That is to say, does the snapshot parameter support automation?
I'll let you know when I try it out!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Jan 2019
MrFigg wrote:
29 Jan 2019

I'll let you know when I try it out!
No need :).
Retouch Control customer service top rated.
NoteMix bought.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kraftf

20 May 2019

So what did the customer service say?
I sent an email to them asking the same thing about automation or remote control of the snapshot pad because as one can see it can't be automated or remote controlled. You can only change snapshots with the mouse and automate whatever is automatable and is controlled by the snapshots.
I would very much prefer to remote control this the snapshot parameter instead of everything else in the interface.
Anyway it is a very good player. I just wish it had snapshot automation and remote control.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

kraftf wrote:
20 May 2019
I sent an email to them asking the same thing about automation or remote control of the snapshot pad because as one can see it can't be automated or remote controlled. You can only change snapshots with the mouse and automate whatever is automatable and is controlled by the snapshots.
I would very much prefer to remote control this the snapshot parameter instead of everything else in the interface.
Anyway it is a very good player. I just wish it had snapshot automation and remote control.
If you create a track for the RE, start recording and move the cursor around on the pad you automatically create 3 automation lanes in the Sequencer which can be edited.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kraftf

27 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
20 May 2019
kraftf wrote:
20 May 2019
If you create a track for the RE, start recording and move the cursor around on the pad you automatically create 3 automation lanes in the Sequencer which can be edited.
Yes but you still cant automate the snapshot!
For this job you have to use another of the developer's RE, Morpher!

challism

17 May 2022

Looking at this device. I really like the other Retouch Control Players that I've bought (NoteRepeat, ChordSQ, Phase) and I'm not sure how it is possible they have slipped under my radar for so long. I was waiting for a bundle deal, but they are already so reasonably priced... I've just started picking them up on sale. This is sale priced for MM at $9 and I almost want to buy it without even trying because I'm sure it will be useful. Anyway, bumping this thread in case anybody has anything to add.

I'm not sure why Retouch Control doesn't make product demo videos. I think a half way decent video would only help sales, certainly wouldn't hurt. Kind of a head scratcher.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information