RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer @ EUR25

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

10 Oct 2018

RYM2612 celebrates its 2 years anniversary with a 50% OFF SALE for one week, from October 10th to 17th!
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/

Is this worth getting for general FM sounds (I've PX7 and FM4 already)? I'm not really looking for console-style (chip-tune like) sounds for my music.

Loque

10 Oct 2018

Congratulations to the 2nd birthday :-D

To the device...i had some hard times to get useful sounds out of it, but i am a sucker in fm programming and i am not a big chip-tuner. Its definitely worth checking out if you are in chip tunes.
Reason12, Win10

cgijoe

10 Oct 2018

Awesome! I'll probably make the plunge now! I've been eyeing this for a while, and am a sucker for this demo song:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Is this worth getting for general FM sounds (I've PX7 and FM4 already)? I'm not really looking for console-style (chip-tune like) sounds for my music.
No I don't think so. It's a cool synth but you'll do fine with FM4 and PX7. This is more aimed for the console style type of sounds.

HeavyViper

10 Oct 2018

Should be noted this also makes for a very nice bit crusher if you run audio to the DAC input on the back. It'll apply the original console's low-pass filtering to the signal, too - just strong enough to take the edge of harsher sounds.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

joeyluck

13 Oct 2018

This is one of my favorite RE synths. I have hours of fun importing patches from RYMCast :ugeek:

The Genesis/YM2612 is a different beast than what you find in other game systems, so I never really classify it first under "chip tunes." The RYM2612 is an FM synthesizer and it's unique. Of course with the history of the YM2612 being used in the Genesis, and with the innovative use of RYMCast for listening to Genesis songs and importing patches, sure it's easy to be inspired towards making that type of music. But it certainly doesn't have to be used for the "chip tune" genre anymore than other FM or subtractive synths can be.

• Information