Poll: KRON & PSDN users: Reason version

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

KRON & PSDN users: which version of Reason do you use?

10 (latest version)
100%
No votes
8 or lower
No votes

Total votes: 22
starship
RE Developer

08 Oct 2018

Hey there!

A KRON update, 1.2, is coming soon that uses SDK 2.5 features (Reason 9.2+). I'm thinking about using that for the initial release of the PSDN 2.0 too, so I'd like to know the distribution of Reason versions for KRON/PSDN users. I don't want to screw over any PSDN users that have less than version 9, but I'd also like to incorporate the stuff I did for the KRON right away.

I'm also curious about this distribution when it comes to future devices, one of which is in the works.

Thanks!

P.S. The KRON update will be in the shop soonish and it makes things a lot easier, IMHO. :) Plus there's some new features.

ExianNYC

08 Oct 2018

Hello Alien Seed and bless you for asking such a thoughtful question. Looks like you have a green light to use the best tools available to make the best updates possible. Thank you for your beautiful, strange and challenging work.

Sometimes I wonder how much KRON would cost if it were a physical modular. $30K?

starship
RE Developer

08 Oct 2018

ExianNYC wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Hello Alien Seed and bless you for asking such a thoughtful question. Looks like you have a green light to use the best tools available to make the best updates possible. Thank you for your beautiful, strange and challenging work.

Sometimes I wonder how much KRON would cost if it were a physical modular. $30K?
:) Thanks!

3 votes so far and one of them was me!

Hmmm.. one day when I can afford physical stuff, maybe I'll give it a go? :) When I have like a company of a dozen and a factory and I mean.... that'd be a big task. Vive la Reason!

Bes
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

looking forward to the PSDN update :)
- Certified Reason expert

MannequinRaces

08 Oct 2018

Seems like this kind of info would be available to developers from Propellerhead to do exactly what you are doing (seeing what the distribution is of versions).

starship
RE Developer

08 Oct 2018

re: PSDN update: :) me too! sorry... :|

re: info for devs.. maybe in theory, but I have hardly any access to user info or stats. I wish I did, the stats at least, mainly for this reason. :)

I'll feel real dumb if it turns out I did have access to this... but I did ask once.

Libraquaricorn

09 Oct 2018

I wish I was intelligent and patient enough to use KRON and PSDN. I guess if I was, I would probably be doing max/msp instead of Reason...

KirkMarkarian

09 Oct 2018

Glad to hear of the updates - I use KRON with the Basimilus Iteritas module all the time to make it flip out. KRON's an excellent multi-modulator. Anybody needing modulation really should get the KRON, and the PDSN too. Take the time to learn KRON and PDSN, and you'll be rewarded with a multitude of synthesizers that make unique sounds. Breathe new life into the Subtractor, etc. Turn sequencers into fantastic randomizers. Amazing!

botnotbot

09 Oct 2018

Looking forward to your update! I was just thinking about how "I wish I understood/flowed with KRON better", as it does seem like a great command center for going really generative, for a track with no notes or automation in the sequencer. I'm planning to use one to fade different mix channels in and out (and all around, I suppose).

Thanks for continuing to develop these tools, it's great (though intimidating) to have such power available.

starship
RE Developer

09 Oct 2018

Well, so far 16 votes for the current version and no votes for anything else. Maybe I should have expected this on RT! :)

re: botnotbot:
:) you might find the equal crossfade device patches useful for that... they can make different curved fades using multiple knobs/faders, so an equal crossfade can be worked up that's tuned to the specifics of those knobs/faders. I've used that for a lot of different "fades": crossfades on the built-in mixer devices, keeping distortion units at an even level when varying their distortion amounts, tuning pitch-wheels to different up/down intervals (not the same set of patches but related), etc.

Yeah, most stuff I make now has a ton of KRONs (and PSDNs)... I guess obviously. But IMO it really expands on existing patches, combi or device. So I just flesh out the instruments and effects with a lot of weird variation, some subtle, some not. I draw in automations a lot less than I used to, but I'll still draw general filter sweeps or something while those filters are wobbling chaotically.. or gently and slowly varying, etc.. I also really dig having related but distinct stereo variation, like taking existing combi/device patches, doubling their instruments, splitting the stereo a bit, and putting LFOs of some kind on them that might be modding each other, and/or a big etc.

re: kirkmarkarian:
awesome! :) dude! :)

re: libraquaricorn:
:)
FWIW, I hardly ever use most of the options on the KRON. I know it's complex but personally, often I'm just using the LFOs and grid, doing fairly simple stuff with some nice mods. I've probably used most options at some point and/or they were beta tester requests.. and/or I put them on there to try to anticipate a need, for flexibility... but a lot of what I do just uses the core functionality. So if it's intimidating, don't sweat that. Just figure out the basics. Or whatever, it's up to you. :)

starship
RE Developer

09 Oct 2018

not a single non-current vote yet. maybe I didn't need to make this poll. :)

starship
RE Developer

12 Oct 2018

Thanks a bunch, folks, for doing the poll! This helps a lot!
20 votes, all current version. lol
Coming soon, KRON 1.2.
Coming eventually :), PSDN 2.0.

Loque

12 Oct 2018

starship wrote:
12 Oct 2018
Coming soon, KRON 1.2.
Fingers crossed. For both. I cross a lot of fingers the last time.
Reason12, Win10

starship
RE Developer

12 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
12 Oct 2018
starship wrote:
12 Oct 2018
Coming soon, KRON 1.2.
Fingers crossed. For both. I cross a lot of fingers the last time.
:)

KRON 1.2 this month is what I'm aiming for.

• Information