UJam REs. €9?! Oj!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

Anybody buy any of these when they were €99?
Not soooo long ago.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdGrip

08 Oct 2018

For 8 pounds it's tempting to get one just for fun.
Are they actually any use? Are they more inspiring or useful than mere toys?

I would be annoyed if I'd bought one at full price, but I doubt many people did.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

EdGrip wrote:
08 Oct 2018
For 8 pounds it's tempting to get one just for fun.
Are they actually any use? Are they more inspiring or useful than mere toys?

I would be annoyed if I'd bought one at full price, but I doubt many people did.
I didn’t like the VST even though I got it free. Might work better with RE format. I guess €9 for a refill would be ok so why not. Bit tempted by Dope. Thing is I promised myself I wouldn’t buy stuff just ‘cos it was cheap and I can’t even be bothered trying it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

adfielding

08 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Thing is I promised myself I wouldn’t buy stuff just ‘cos it was cheap and I can’t even be bothered trying it.
Ditto. I'd rather buy one or two devices that I know I'm going to use than buy a bunch of stuff I'm never going to use just because it's on offer. If I have to ask myself "would I have even given this a second glance if it wasn't on offer?" then that's probably a good sign to give it a pass.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

adfielding wrote:
08 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Thing is I promised myself I wouldn’t buy stuff just ‘cos it was cheap and I can’t even be bothered trying it.
Ditto. I'd rather buy one or two devices that I know I'm going to use than buy a bunch of stuff I'm never going to use just because it's on offer. If I have to ask myself "would I have even given this a second glance if it wasn't on offer?" then that's probably a good sign to give it a pass.
Prime examples for me were Aqueos and Hydronexius. Saw the price and bought them at once. I’m sure they’re fine and all, just not for me. Money I could really have spent elsewhere.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

08 Oct 2018

Hmm...The VSTs were for free or sold for 4$ or 5$...Good, that the RE are now also quite cheap. Hmm...dunno...maybe i give them a spin, but i noticed that i rarely use a lot of content i have, i already have content for 2 or 3 livetimes.

I am wondering what uJam is doing since a few months...
Reason12, Win10

antic604

08 Oct 2018

Too bad they've wasted Deal of The Week for this... Just make them $(1)9 permanently like a lot of comparable devices are and move on.

tt_lab

08 Oct 2018

I also have the free one and wouldn't pay anything for them. I've learnt my lesson with aeon REs.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

tt_lab wrote:
08 Oct 2018
I also have the free one and wouldn't pay anything for them. I've learnt my lesson with aeon REs.
Yep.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Yonatan

08 Oct 2018

These don´t get any praises I can notice. I tried "Dope", it was ok, but I am not a rapper/hiphoper, so for the orignal price, it was not interesting, but at €9, might be another story, but I dont remember it enough, but will now try out the other two.

Can more ppl say what they dislike about these? It would be interesting, as lots of songs in my ears that many showcase nowadays, sounds not that far away from what these things deliver.

But I guess it is not that needed for those who already have dozens of loops and want to sculpt their own beats or mix their loops.

When did you get these for free or cheap as VST? When I look at their site, they are at a sale for €49 each for VST-version.
Where you get things for free or that cheap?

I sense these beatmakers are Allihoopa stuff :)

tt_lab

08 Oct 2018

IMO they are very regular sounds, maybe a little cheesy, and not very interesting sequences. I feel like I can buy better drum kits for the same 9$
There was a sale for the Hustle for free (or was it almost free I can't remember) this summer.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

Sparkle (guitar) and Phat (drums) VSTs were free for a short time a few months ago.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

I got ujam hustle for a couple of dollars a few weeks ago. I have only tried it a bit but seemed to be quite limited in its use (using various kits to play preprogrammed beat sequences) but i have yet to really play with it so it may be my knowledge. I couldnt see immediately how to make my own drum sequences. I wasnt overly impressed even if it did cost less than a pint of beer.

joeyluck

08 Oct 2018

I like 'em!

The added bonus of the RE over the VST (aside from sitting nicely in the Reason rack) is they have CV IN and OUT for all 16 hits, and 16 individual audio outputs as well.

So you can sequence your own beats using Reason's sequencer, or using another sequencer in the rack via CV. You can also use the CV outputs to have the internal patterns trigger other drum plugins and samples. You can decide to send CV out for the entire pattern, or only a part, such as the hats. In Reason's rack, it's actually quite fun to play with and is very flexible.

I like the samples used in each kit and the patterns do inspire ideas. I think all the UJAM plugins do that well. They remind me to give some thought to the structure of a song. So I think they are certainly a steal at this price.

Yonatan

08 Oct 2018

Individual outs is indeed very handy and can be used in ways not that obvious at first glance. The experimental side is always in the back of my mind. Remember how many ordinary things in the history of recording have been twisted and used not as intended. That is what I will have in mind when testing. We have so many creative ways now in Reason with players, filters etc, as even the most mundane stock sounds can be tweaked in interesting ways. That side is the funniest with Reason, I think.

...BUT...

After trying Hustle and Eden, I can say that they are not targeted towards my needs or taste.
I think I remember that Dope was a bit more ok sounding, but was a long time since tested, so
I do hesitate if it would be of much use. Will have to check for some demos/reviews.

mtbh

08 Oct 2018

Well, you can't get it unless you are on 10, it seems. So no trial for me and no buy either.
Now is the tíme to get that upgrade, so you can take advantage of this fine offer ;)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

So each RE has 5 drum kits. Sorry but that's not very impressive. I can't imagine buying this for the original price of 99€. That's insane.

Like some people has mentioned already, I'm no longer getting stuff just because it's cheap, or even free for that matter. I still haven't gone through and listened to all the new drum samples and loops from the Reason 10 upgrade. These REs would most certainly be collecting dust in my rack.

I'm not entirely against the idea of having REs loaded with samples, after all I do like my Ambi REs and I use them from time to time.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

Really just 23 drum patterns. Not 690 as they say. 5 kits x 6 styles x 23 keys = 690. Or am I wrong?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

stp2015

08 Oct 2018

Not biting. Even for 9 bucks, I can get more on splice :)

strangers
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2018

$9 for the trio would be more enticing. Current deal is still a hard pass. Sound-wise I like them but the price point has always been way off. I don't care for drum loops since I like programming my own. With that out of the way, I'm only looking at 5 drum kits at a not-so-inviting price tag. The effects were a little annoying since I couldn't seem to completely remove them, at least with the VST versions. The pitch wheel didn't do anything either (VST version). I'd imagine the RE are a little more Reason-friendly.

Reasonable man

08 Oct 2018

Trap/ hiphop isn't my thing although its two of the most current popular world wide genres (at least production wise). I'd be interested in maybe buying hustle and using send notes to track in order to see how these beats work. There seemed to be some cool drum fills that might be worth incorporating into productions to mix stuff up a bit . Could be used as a learning tool imo

Jmax

08 Oct 2018

joeyluck wrote:
08 Oct 2018
I like 'em!

The added bonus of the RE over the VST (aside from sitting nicely in the Reason rack) is they have CV IN and OUT for all 16 hits, and 16 individual audio outputs as well.

So you can sequence your own beats using Reason's sequencer, or using another sequencer in the rack via CV. You can also use the CV outputs to have the internal patterns trigger other drum plugins and samples. You can decide to send CV out for the entire pattern, or only a part, such as the hats. In Reason's rack, it's actually quite fun to play with and is very flexible.

I like the samples used in each kit and the patterns do inspire ideas. I think all the UJAM plugins do that well. They remind me to give some thought to the structure of a song. So I think they are certainly a steal at this price.

Agreed, I really love the devices. It's also quite easy to put a nice pattern together do some tweaking and voila. Each hit can be customized to a certain degree. I bought them instantly for this price.

QVprod

08 Oct 2018

I wouldn't bother buying Dope. It's the simplest of the 3. Boom Bap drums aren't very complex like Trap and EDM can be. The other 2 have some promise for getting results fast. This is one of the rare cases where the RE is better than the VST as it's easy to change the sounds via CV in Reason. For $9 I'l find use for them as those aren't my primary genres. Will be quite the time saver.

dustmoses

08 Oct 2018

Wish I was on reason 10 for this sale.

I enjoy the VSTs but lack of seperatable outs means a bunch of bouncing (for seperatable tracks) before I mix anything with them.

lrey

09 Oct 2018

I own the Hustle VST. Love it! I'm glad these are on sale... I'm definitely investing in these REs. Definitely for my style of music.

• Information