RE-2A alternatives in the shop?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
PhillipOrdonez

05 Oct 2018

As the title says, is there any alternative compressor available for the rack?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2018

Imo there are no good RE-2A substitutes in the RE market. Sorry. Maybe other people have different opinions but that's mine.

PhillipOrdonez

05 Oct 2018

drloop wrote:
05 Oct 2018
I use McDSP Moo tube compressor.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ompressor/
But i thought the re 2a was an emulation of an optical compressor, not a tube one ;)

PhillipOrdonez

05 Oct 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Oct 2018
Imo there are no good RE-2A substitutes in the RE market. Sorry. Maybe other people have different opinions but that's mine.
Well that sucks to read!

selig
RE Developer

05 Oct 2018

drloop wrote:
05 Oct 2018
When you compare them side by side, they can sound totally different IMO.

FWIW, one is a vari-mu (moo) and the other is opto compression.

The only RE that compares is the Tube Tech (to match default RE-2a settings, increase Release time at least to 9:00 position, threshold between -10 to -20, attack/ratio at defaults), which is hardly a good comparison cost wise (but pretty darn close, sound wise). ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

05 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
05 Oct 2018
drloop wrote:
05 Oct 2018
When you compare them side by side, they can sound totally different IMO.

FWIW, one is a vari-mu (moo) and the other is opto compression.

The only RE that compares is the Tube Tech (to match default RE-2a settings, increase Release time at least to 9:00 position, threshold between -10 to -20, attack/ratio at defaults), which is hardly a good comparison cost wise (but pretty darn close, sound wise). ;(

Ouch, that.... That is a little much.

Right, it is a vari mu, useful for gluing things and master bus business. The optical compressor is more for vocals and stuff as is quite clean, afaik.

I am in need of a compressor with the qualities of the moo tube compressor as well, then.. Think I will take a look at that one, are any more similar units you would recommend more for that task? I think the tube tech is a bit pricey for me right now... Have spent way too much on audio stuff this year already... :cry:

jayhosking

05 Oct 2018

Waves' RComp is on sale today for $29. (I mean, it's Waves, so it's often on sale.) But it has opto and other features, sounds fantastic, and has a very intuitive (though dated) UI. Food for thought?

PhillipOrdonez

05 Oct 2018

jayhosking wrote:
05 Oct 2018
Waves' RComp is on sale today for $29. (I mean, it's Waves, so it's often on sale.) But it has opto and other features, sounds fantastic, and has a very intuitive (though dated) UI. Food for thought?
Food for thought indeed.

drloop

06 Oct 2018

When I use Moo I get similar performance on vocals and bass as Re2A.
Did a very quick and dirty test.

Using RE2A and Moo, big difference between them, not so much.

I use the Moo moo then RE2A...
Moo controll compared to RE2A.

:)

EdGrip

06 Oct 2018

Klanghelm make good stuff, and one such stuff is a vari-mu type compressor. There's a free version with limited controls, but the paid version is hardly expensive.
https://klanghelm.com/contents/products ... MJUCjr.php

There are other plugin companies doing LA-2A emulations in VST land.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2018

drloop wrote:
06 Oct 2018
When I use Moo I get similar performance on vocals and bass as Re2A.
Did a very quick and dirty test.

Using RE2A and Moo, big difference between them, not so much.

I use the Moo moo then RE2A...
Moo controll compared to RE2A.

:)
Maybe it's because of the settings, but I actually thought there was a noticable difference between these examples (not only because the second one was overall louder).

PhillipOrdonez

06 Oct 2018

EdGrip wrote:
06 Oct 2018
Klanghelm make good stuff, and one such stuff is a vari-mu type compressor. There's a free version with limited controls, but the paid version is hardly expensive.
https://klanghelm.com/contents/products ... MJUCjr.php

There are other plugin companies doing LA-2A emulations in VST land.
AHH yes, I have the jr version, and it has given good results in the master bus. Think the full version is worth it. Thanks for the reminder!

guitfnky

06 Oct 2018

how cool would it be for Props to make their own LA-2A emulation as a free RE in Reason 11 (along with hopefully a boatload of workflow/sequencer improvements)?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

06 Oct 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
05 Oct 2018
jayhosking wrote:
05 Oct 2018
Food for thought indeed.
I mentioned this in the other compressor thread, but might be worth mentioning here, even if it's about a VST in a RE thread...

In the next issue of Computer Music Magazine, IK Multimedia's TRackS White 2A will be included for free.
It was just announced inside this month's issue of CM, which was just published...so it'll be available in about month.

I have never used it and I'm plenty happy with RE-2A, but definitely something worth checking out, especially for someone looking for an LA-2A emulation where RE-2A/CA-2A isn't available anymore (or at least not at the moment—who knows if it'll be rereleased under new ownership).

• Information